Jojo Rabbit Reviews

• 39m ago

Funny, heart warming, sad, and an incredible cast.

Funny, heart warming, sad, and an incredible cast.

• Karen
    5h ago

Very, very depressing.

Very, very depressing.

• Joyce H
    6h ago

It was WWII seen from the other side from the POV of a 10yr boy. There was just enough Hilter, not too much not to little.

• Beth Y
    8h ago

Tuesday evening Zoey and I went to see the film comedy “JoJo Rabbit” at a Santa Cruz Landmark theatre . The movie supposedly is an anti-hate fantasy film comedy - satire about a 10 year old boy whom is a member of the Nazi - Hitler youth whom has an imaginary friend - Adolf Hitler whom encourages -motivates JoJo to be an obedient Nazi for the fatherland and the fuhrer (Hitler). I remember saying WTF when we saw the trailer several months ago. The film uses a Beatles song “ i want to hold your hand “and uses modern slang not of the period. Basically the movie shows JoJo struggling to be a good Nazi Hitler youth scout. In front of all the boy Nazis, JoJo is chosen and tested by an older Nazi scout to kill a rabbit with his knife. Unable to kill, JoJo is shamed in front all the scouts and runs off humiliated. Later on JoJo overcompensates by running and snatching a hand grenade from Sam Rockwell’s character an alcoholic German army officer demonstrating proper use of throwing a grenade. The boy runs with the grenade pulls the pin, throws it but it hits a tree and bounces back and explodes next to JoJo. Recovering from the explosive blast, (not laughing) his mother portrayed by Scarlett Johansen removes his bandages on his face showing his scarred face and severely Injured leg walking now with a limp. (Not laughing) Thirty minutes have past and So far Zoey and i have not laughed at all . JoJo’s mom is hiding a teenage Jewish girl. When JoJo arrives home one day he discovers the girl in a secret storage room and runs away scared of her. The girl catches and corners JoJo in a menacing- threatening tone tells him if he exposes her his mom will be taken away. This is when i feel anger toward this film and director. I was expecting a sympathetic scared Jewish girl Instead he has created an unlikable Jewish girl whom bully’s JoJo to keep quiet. That was my breaking point. I leaned over to Zoey , whispering this is absolutely the most offensive film i have seen in years ! She agreed and said lets go. As we left the theatre, i saw an employee in the lobby and she could tell we did not like the movie, I said to her calmly this film is horrible, not funny and offensive. She asked if we want to speak to the manager about getting two movie passes. We said yes that would be nice. The manager hands us two movie passes, we say thank you .

• Jacob
    8h ago

Just super weird. Had a lot of funny moments and a cool story. It just definitely wasnt what I was expecting at all and maybe thats my own fault.

• Hector
    13h ago

it's the movie of the year for me. a rollercoaster of emotions and perfect executing for such a sensitive topic. Taika shines once again!

• Lexi S
    14h ago

Really cute, really funny, really well done movie, has it’s sad moments but their good sad moments. Overall wonderful production, highly recommend.

• 19h ago

This movie might just be my favorite movie of all time. That might sound like an extremely bold claim, but trust me, I can explain. Taika Waititi is easily my favorite director from recent memory. I'm a huge fan of close up shots into wide shots, there is plenty of that in this movie. While director, Wes Anderson, has a similar style, I've found that Taika Waititi's movies, while few exist, include great cinematic brilliance. Taika Waititi's movies are funny, beautiful, have great messages, and most importantly relatable. Taika Waititi uses improv as one of his main directing techniques, this allows the actors on set to feel more natural and real. That is where the comedy comes from, the scenes in his movies are incredibly awkward, similar to the awkwardness of the real world. Out of everything Waititi has done, Jojo Rabbit captures all of this the best. Scarlet Johanson's portrayal of Rosie is a prime example. Aside from Taika Waititi's common theme of growing up through his movies, he also offers a unique take on the WWII genre. From a child's perspective, we see how easy it is to be brainwashed by an authoritative figure. Taika Waititi's portrayal of Hitler changes throughout the film to capture this. While Jojo realizes there are no true villains when it comes to Jews, we are forced to reflect on how we view and treat others. Furthermore, there are plenty of intriguing metaphors made in this film, such as Jojo to a rabbit. The cinematography is also incredible. Unlike the typical dull color scheme from WWII movies, Jojo Rabbit shows a brighter pallet only to fade into darkness as Jojo's perspective changes. For me, just about everything in this movie is near perfection. The acting, the visuals, even the music by Michael Giacchino is surprisingly good. Overall, this movie gets a 10/10 from me. I am typically fairly critical of the film, but something about this movie was different. The anti-hate message might be part of that, but Taika Waititi's genius propels this movie to another level.

• 22h ago

What a great movie. It's nice to see risky things like Jojo Rabbit being put out by Hollywood in contrast to the sea of shallow and safe movies that they have become known for.

• Kristi c
    Dec 04, 2019

Really enjoyed the whole movie, Sam Rockwell was so good.

Really enjoyed the whole movie, Sam Rockwell was so good.