Julie & Julia Reviews

• Dec 30, 2019

This was a cute movie based on Julia Child bio./real true story. A woman cooks and makes a blog of cooking/baking all or some/most of Julia Child's recipes. Cute movie if you like Julie Child, food, a true story etc...

• Dec 21, 2019

It is a light beautiful movie amy adamsis absolutely astonishing in this role as she is cute it's a heart warming movie with a lovely feel

• Sep 30, 2019

After watching this combination film of Julia Child the French Chef who introduced French cooking to Americans and Julie, the 2002 American blogger who recreates all 546 recipes from "Mastering French Cooking" I was reminded just how GREAT Meryl Streep is! She eats up life, loves (nearly) everyone in Paris when she is stationed there with her diplomat husband, Paul the great Stanley Tucci. He represents America in our worst time...under McCarthyism. But their absolute love is present in every scene. The Childs are adults--5'8" Tucci and 6'2" Julia Child. Their half of the film is A+++. But when it switches over to Amy Adams attempting to blog her way through 700 pages of Child's masterpiece, the movie takes a nosedive. Child gets her diploma from Le Cordon Bleu learning the absolute basics of French cooking. Amy Adams simply picks up the Julia Child book producing marvelleux dishes after one try? Completely unbelievable. Amy HATES her day job of consoling and filing insurance claims for 9/11. She calls herself a selfish bitch and there is NOTHING that disputes that claim. Now I fast forward to modern Queens and savor Julia and Paul Child's scenes in Paris. On Julia's 90th birthday she is asked about Amy's blog and isn't impressed. It took ME 40 years of sailing to reach my captain's certification...from deep blue water heavy schooners to 70' racing sloops. I would be VERY upset if a young girl (I'm a woman) decided to sail every type of sailboat in one year. That's a slam on every sailor in the world!

• Sep 27, 2019

I really liked this movie. It made me laugh and cry, and Meryl's performance is utterly fantastic.

• Sep 23, 2019

The acting was really bad. I had no idea Streep was capable of giving a bad performance, this was like the worst kind of caricature possible because it didn't meaningfully represent the subject. Adams was mindblowingly irritating in her performance, just totally annoying, I could not connect to the character at all. Why should I care about someone writing a blog or cooking from a cookbook, it is boring. I felt like nothing was achieved throughout the film, the story of a woman publishing a French cookbook in English was interesting but that did not require all of this film to be told. The most aggravating feature of this film was the improbably perfect husbands of the women in the film. How is it that their husbands are just automatically perfect for no reason? It was nonsense. I can't figure out what the purpose of this film was supposed to be or how it came to be made. I never want to watch this film again.

• Sep 17, 2019

Charming but not my type of film; too melodramatic. Nonetheless, a great story and a great cast

• Jun 27, 2019

Both Amy Adams and Meryl Streep give wonderful performances. They food looks great and Stan Tucci is always a professional. I do have a problem with Chris Messina as he rarely is believable as Amy Adams husband and instead of "perfect" comes across as simpering. That could also be okay but the man just doesn't know how to eat or properly chew food and he's doing it all the time. I'm sure he should be excited about what he's eating but keep your mouth closed. Just an ugly eater and probably why I don't come back to this as much as I would like.

• Jun 24, 2019

Though it can be boring at times, this is a mostly enjoyable movie led by strong acting and a charming concept.

• Mar 22, 2019

This movie had all the elements of a "heartfelt" well-made classic but I found it very boring, long and unmoving.

• Mar 17, 2019

This movie had all the right ingredients, from a great cast who all gave good performances to an interesting script, but somehow this movie, like cooking, was a bit of a chore to watch.