Last Men in Aleppo Reviews

• Mar 31, 2019

If you are like me, you went numb to the reports of tragedy and atrocity pouring out of Syria. Based on the paucity of news reports about the ongoing conflict in the western press, it appears the whole nation has gone numb. Watching Last Men in Aleppo brought back my outrage at the endured by the Syrian people as a result of indiscriminate bombing by government forces. The documentary follows the White Helmets, a beleaguered volunteer search-and-rescue organization operating in the besieged city of Aleppo, acting as a last vestige of the fire and medical services available to citizens in a functioning country. Beyond showing the organization's work, Last Men in Aleppo depicts the personal lives of some of its members as they attempt to live normal lives in an extremely tenuous situation. This is part of the genius of the documentary - were it to focus exclusively on the rescue efforts performed by these brave individuals, the film would be a parade of collapsed buildings and broken bodies, potentially having a numbing effect. But by devoting significant screen time to the volunteers' families and even depicting a few genuinely heartwarming moments, the film puts a face to the tragedy. Last Men in Aleppo is a call to action, a call to put international pressure on the Syrian government to end indiscriminate bombings and targeting of civilians, and an extremely effective one at that. While the time when that was a viable option likely already passed, it is still a fantastic documentary for putting a face to a distant war.

• Jan 17, 2019

As a document in the traditional sense, it has its value in recording what it feels like to be in a bombarded city working essentially as a paramedic, however unqualified - beyond that it is dull and repetitive and devoid of narrative drive, leaving the viewer with far too many reservations about the purpose of the piece (one doesn't have to be a supporter of the existing regime to ponder who the main characters really support in their fight against Assad), essentially draining it of political meaning and simply giving us the tired old insight "war is a terrible thing".

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Dec 05, 2018

The sight of the wrecked city and those dead children is devastating enough to leave us shaken, and the film, despite a certain questionable preciosity, almost makes us feel like we are there next to those men risking their own lives to rescue people from under the rubble.

• Oct 02, 2018

It's okay to feel weak sometimes. Salute to all these heroes.

It's okay to feel weak sometimes. Salute to all these heroes.

• Jul 05, 2018

Definitely u have to watch this ! to find this movie will help u boxxy software . A documentary anti-militarist film that reminds the viewer that the most important is a peaceful sky above his head.

• Jun 16, 2018

6/16/18 Netflix Interesting to read audience reviews where some look at the White Helmets as unselfish angels of mercy wiling to rescue civilians at the cost of their own life while others look at them as ruthless terrorist with this as their propaganda vehicle. What I saw were people trying to do ordinary things under extraordinary circumstances. Build a pet fish pond, play in the sunshine, attend a wedding, love and protect their children and cherish the friendships that develop under trying times.It is an amazing story of people staying and trying to live a normal life in such a hellish place.

• May 21, 2018

I think this movie is a must see.

I think this movie is a must see.

• Apr 28, 2018

Visually stunning but we don't get to hear from the participants except when they're talking to each other, and they don't tell each other enough to give this story a point of view beyond the rubble.

• Apr 13, 2018

It's heartbreaking. When the Syrian Civil War broke out, there was a push to have a UN no-fly zone and prosecute war crimes. But Republicans, Democrats, the world altogether didn't care because Syria didn't have oil or anything of value. Every time a Republican wags their finger about Iran or a Democrat whines about Russia or a foreign bureaucrat prattles on about the Palestinians, I roll my eyes. They all have blood on their hands.

• Apr 01, 2018

This is a documentary created by the anti-Assad terrorist group funded by the nation-destabilizing CIA and supported by corrupt politicians such as John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama.