Lawn Dogs Reviews

• Sep 25, 2020

Kinda creepy, kinda cool . Kinda corny, kinda cool . Idk what to make of this . I thought the girl was so good at acting until about 15 minutes left 3.2

• Mar 24, 2019

She loved him, and she saved him and engineered his escape, and he can never come back. She's shot the man who tried to molest her, and perhaps killed him. What's left for her now? There are numerous hints in the movie, little signs. The constant emphasis on the colour red - blood red. The hole in the middle of those cookies - like a bullet hole. Devon insisting she mustn't climb that tree because if she does it will put too much of a strain on her heart, implying that could kill her. And finally the significance of the earlier falling-out-of-the-tree scene. Going up the ribbon-tree at the end meant she could save his life, by some strange nature magic - even if only in her head. But the ending we don't see is her fall, her death, the sacrifice which seals the magic. A life for a life. There's a lot more to this film than a casual viewing shows you, and the acting of Mischa Barton is stunning - and absolutely crucial to making the movie believable. Mischa may have had troubles later in her life, but here she is incredibly talented. Bravo, Mischa, for leaving us this performance.

• Mar 10, 2017

Reviewed 3.10.17. An indie showcase for Sam Rockwell's burgeoning star alongside a spirited debut for Mischa Barton. The chemistry of the two leads carries the movie past its flaws to an unpredictable and fanciful ending, which I thoroughly enjoyed. If you tend towards the quirky stuff, or recognize Rockwell as one of America's most beguiling actors, this is a 90's art house movie not to be missed.

• Jessica S Super Reviewer
    Oct 12, 2016

What seems like a tale of friendly suburbia turns out to be a tale of the evils of the burbs. You never truly know your neighbors and where are her parents?

• May 24, 2016

"The way I see it, you have people who own lawns and people who mow them. And they're never the same" On its release in 1997 I read a review of this and always wanted to see this. Some nineteen years later and I finally got to see it. Sam Rockwell is amazing as the social outcast.

• Aug 29, 2015

Most amazing film, one of my favourites. The trailer doesn't do the film any justice whatsoever.

• Feb 15, 2014

"Lawn Dogs" was very unusual, which is generally refreshing. This film was uncomfortable, original and weird. I watched it solely because Sam Rockwell acts in it. As usual, he did not disappoint. I'd like to point out that the cover is misleading and isn't really a good representation of what the film is about. I suppose it is more appealing than a ten year old girl and cookie cutter homes. "Lawn dogs" is dramatic, happy, sad and dark. If you look at the genres below it really is all over the place. The film is about a young girl (Mischa Barton) who befriends the neighborhood landscaping guy (Rockwell) who is not from the same neighborhood or social class. There really are a lot of social statements made in this film that are still quite relevant. This film is hard to categorize and it really has a unique cast. The first half of the film is very art house and in my opinion a bit too slow and strange. The second half of the film has a lot more going on and re-captured my interest. The feelings of tension and inferiority the main characters experience is captured successfully and translates well on screen. There is a heaviness to this film and underlying feeling of dread that is sprinkled with lighthearted independent film spirit. "Lawn Dogs" target audience is next to impossible to identify, but it is a very unique and multi-layered film.

• Jan 02, 2014

Sam Rockwell is amazing

Sam Rockwell is amazing

• Nov 11, 2013

I was a bit disappointed with this, to be honest. Not sure what the point was.

I was a bit disappointed with this, to be honest. Not sure what the point was.

• Aug 02, 2013

More painful than processed cheese, this film achieves none of the things it sets out to, and is accompanied by a soundtrack that made me want to hurt people. Sam Rockwell gives a very solid performance as usual, but there's only so much you can do with a script like this.