Mad Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Reviews

½ June 21, 2017
Although I usually hate when films lack narrative and emotion, I would have preferred if the whole narrative had been shaped around scenes involving the cars, because the car chases are some of the most exhilarating, and heart-pounding ever.
½ June 17, 2017
This Australian cult classic can't be taken too seriously. With some great action sequences and quirky characters, this film pushes the boundaries. A classic Australian film. 1001
½ June 7, 2017
Dated and with terrible acting. Mostly consists of Mel Gibson grunting and men dressed in bondage yelling/grunting. The feral child was really really really annoying.
June 2, 2017
good for the budget and for bringing us mel gibson
½ June 1, 2017
Did not like it, very weird, confusing and just bad.
½ May 25, 2017
Mad Max is my favorite movie series. Although this isn't the best movie in the series it's still amazing and better than the 3rd one. And made with only 300,000 dollars!!!!
April 26, 2017
Mad Max is a great road film. The sequels were dumb
½ April 22, 2017
2017-04-20
i felt it very uncomfortable to watch
April 10, 2017
For a movie of its time the action sequences were impressive.
½ March 21, 2017
This was something I hadn't revisited since the VHS days, so I was pleased to give it a spin on Blu-ray with the recent Anthology release. The story is simple and while I dug the film overall as I'd expected to, the ending always feels slightly anticlimactic for me for some reason that I can't quite articulate.

Still, well worth a look and something any action fan deserves the chance to revisit.
½ February 10, 2017
a classic full of action
January 15, 2017
Great low budget action movie from the 70s, the movie that started the great franchise. It's stunning how marvelous and interesting this movie is, how skillfuly executed by Miller. And of course the very young Mel Gibson. Sadly they forgot how to make movies without CGI, movies that look way compelling and realistic without CGI.
December 25, 2016
Mel Gibson's family is killed buy a biker gang. He goes after them. Pretty good!
December 20, 2016
By the artful direction of George Miller, these films each stand as thriller-masterpieces with practice stunts and action to immerse their viewers.
½ December 19, 2016
A decent cult action movie full of great stunts and car crashes that make the best of a very low budget, even though the story takes a bit too long to speed up, making the entire beginning a little dragged and reaching its narrative core with only fifteen minutes left to end.
December 17, 2016
Dark, Thrilling And Pulse Pounding, George Miller's Mad Max Is A Brilliant Piece Of Post-Apocalyptic Action With Mel Gibson At The Front Of It All.
December 4, 2016
Survived the test of time, created an eerie and disturbing universe of post-apocalyptic life.
½ November 27, 2016
Painful to watch. On Blu-ray.
November 24, 2016
If you're like me, you wanted to watch the original Mad Max movies after seeing Fury Road, which is easily one of the best films of the decade and a landmark in cinema. So when I came to watch this original, I was left disappointed. In its 93 minute runtime, not much actually happens that really matters until well into the third act, and even then it doesn't really pick up speed until the final 20 minutes. Pacing is a problem in this movie. Mad Max had the right elements to be a mixture of The Warriors and Death Wish, but drags endlessly. And the saddest part is that with a modern day George Miller, these elements could have been tightened up, to really drive the elements that lead Max to go from jaded police officer to vigilante. It's just a shame we spend so little time on the latter, that it clearly means that The Road Warrior will promise a more exciting film.

The cast is alright, but ultimately nothing really shocking here. Mel Gibson, who is great, fades into the background much like Tom Hardy's take on the character. But with it being a movie focused on Max's origins, it's problematic. And while it's interesting to see how he gets his car, how he loses his family, and how he lived in a world much like our own (surprising since in about 10 - 20 movie years, the world is apocalyptic), so much could have been removed or reshot so that the stronger parts of this movie take place earlier on, and we can see how bad-ass this character is.
½ November 19, 2016
This is a great movie! It looks amazing on Blu-Ray.