Mad Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Reviews

March 21, 2018
Ethan C. Ethan C March 21, 2018
Although Mad Max at first glance would seem like your regular revenge story, Mel Gibson's performance, and brilliant character development along with thrilling action sequences make it a terrific film, and truely one of the best Australian movies of all time.
March 21, 2018
½ February 17, 2018
A great cult classic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 29, 2018
A bit over rated and surprisingly slow at times. On multiple occasions the characters make mind numbingly stupid choices and overall the plot just feels disjointed. On the plus, the stunts are amazing for its time. But, I have to say this smells of a movie that has become cool solely based on its cult status and some of the reviews make this fact very evident. However, I decide to like movies based on their merit, not just because it is cool to like them.
½ January 10, 2018
Brilliant. Do not expect this movie to be like its sequels, it is its own movie. Think of it as a cop movie with a twist, set in a future where society is slowly crumbling, but the institutions of law and order are still intact, existing as under funded, under resourced functionaries that are ineffectual in preserving law and order, the police do the hard tasks, while the legal system lets the criminals go. Made
on a small budget, but is so well done you can watch it a million times and not get bored.

I note a lot of reviews mention it is set in a world where oil has run out, or a post apocalypse, this is not really addressed in this movie, that is mentioned in the sequel Mad Max 2 (or The Road Warrior if you live in the US), all that is apparent is there is a social decay of some sort, it certainly doesn't really give any indication of why, definitely doesn't appear to have any nuclear strike indicated.

Think "A Clockwork Orange" meets "Death Wish" with similar evil
characters and themes plus fantastic car chases. Hugh Keays Byrne plays one of the most memorable bad guys in history, subtly menacing, sadistic,
crazy... If you notice, he doesn't really
respond to what others say to him, he keeps talking about what he wants.

Mad Max is one of my all time favorite movies (pretty obvious by my review!), Mad Max 2 was also stunning when it was released, but an entirely different movie (and also easy to watch many times over), I never compare them as they are brilliant but distinctly different movies.
½ January 5, 2018
Guilty confession: Typically when I watch a "classic" or a film I've really been looking forward to, I go into it expecting to like it. In other words, the film is already ahead of the curve when it comes to my grading scale. It has to do a lot to let me down. I hate to say it, but Mad Max? It let me down. Not in the sense that it was bad, but rather in the sense that I was hoping for more.

Max is a police officer in a post-apocalyptic world where biker gangs rule the road. After his partner is brutally burned by one of the most dangerous gangs, Max decides to retire but a terrible turn of events sucks him right back in.

The film got off to a slow start for me. I was confused by what was happening and why it was happening. It's not a good sign when I have to jump on to Wikipedia to clarify things. Unfortunately things never quite bounced back for me after that. I spent a good majority of the film thinking, "What are the stakes for Max? Why should I care about his character?" You're not really given a ton of insight into who he is and why he's a hero you want to root for. Read to kids in the hospital. Pull a cat out of a tree. Do something! Give me a reason to care. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Despite my issues with the film, Mad Max is carried by a solid performance from Gibson. Visceral rage just oozes from the man as he goes out for his revenge. He's got that look, one we've seen in many films before. A look that says, "I'm crazy and I want you to know it." His passion in the role is a shining spot.

The film also benefits from solid world-building. Though you're only given a small taste, it's all you need to see. The road is what's important, the heartbeat of the film. You witness it in the attention to detail behind the cars (Max's car in the end was dope) and the gangs' constant power struggle over maintaining territory. The road is a wasteland, yet extremely vital for those living in it.

I'm giving Mad Max a 73. Perhaps that's not a bad thing. For a movie to be missing some key components and still get a decent score says a lot. It's kind of like eating at an expensive restaurant: When you see your plate, you're slightly let down because you were hoping for more, but you quickly find that the portion you received was good enough.
December 29, 2017
This is the start of something great!
December 27, 2017
One of the most PERFECT movie I've ever seen. From the beginning, life going on in a quiet australian country town when a tragic car chase between the policemen and the "fired up" Night Rider, ending with Max (the best one as Nightrider himself says), to the description of the future where "Law" is losing its battle against steets gangs, and at the same time Max feels he's losing its battle to stay sane (i'm becoming like them!), to him losing everything he fells valuable to the evil Toecutter (a greatly underrated villain I think), to the final truly apocalitpic revenge he takes.
No pauses, no lost moments, no character not perfectly fitting its role, and in all of this the genius of George Miller building action scene after action scene as a cruel stage for the incoming drama. AWESOME!
December 25, 2017

[George Miller]
December 23, 2017
Writing this in 2017. If you really want to catch up on the entire franchise (Up through "Fury Road" right now), you may find this original film from decades ago frustrating. Better is to go into it looking for an Australian "art" film, which may help you enjoy it more. The first several minutes are just plain confusing, bordering on irritating. If you stick with it though, you can see the a thin plot generally start to coalesce. It's never clear that it's a post-apocalyptic film, it could just be a poverty-stricken area where law enforcement has broken down, and paint-sniffing gangs are running amok. That said, if you're just looking for a good sequence of car chases, or to check all the boxes on the Mad Max franchise, this is worth seeing!
½ December 17, 2017
This film has aged and has not aged perfectly but there is a clear reason why it stands up as a landmark in action directing. The stunts are incredible, the performances are suitably insane, and the heart behind the violence beats with purpose. It is a strong film, though it doesn't reflect where the franchise went, anchored by Gibson's sympathetic hero and driven by the insanity of the it's unforgiving world.
November 17, 2017
What an awesome and classic film. MAD MAX was the most incredible and very good film even though it was low budget but it was so good with intense scenes and the way it looks was cool and Max is a badass character and I like it. Well done George Miller you made one hell of a movie the first film was awesome love it a lot.
½ November 14, 2017
This movie has triggered the same thoughts and feelings on me as Highlander and I have to say exactly the same in this review as in the Highlander review. Seen by two things First, I understand why this movie has become a cult here are some ideas and longings that you've never seen before, at least not in this form and certainly not in a low budget movie. You can not see George Miller having the money nor the opportunity to build all that luster, but my goodness he did everything he could and luckily he can do a lot. Secondly, I do not think I ever saw a movie made from two different films welded together and actually works. I mean, it's a post apocalyptic film about police and street gangs but the last half hour is a Revenge movie that also has other music and was filmed differently and yet, all together, it's better to have a jigsaw puzzler and give it an interesting overall picture. I can now say hard what I like better, I like revenge movies, I also love movies with gangs, police and so on but both works are not really gooood here but the stunts are. I know that one of the films is the other filmmaker well apart from the scene at the end that was copied in Saw I could not see anything special out there.
October 23, 2017
Mad Max: Relentless, unforgiving and intensely crafted, Mad Max is a cult classic, with impressive car stunts and crashes.
October 16, 2017
Grand mother gave me vhs copy gonna check it out
October 12, 2017
Less than expected. Thought it was a cult classic but dang such cheesy acting. Took wayy too long to get into any real action. Lack of depth in the plot. Supposed to be post apocalyptic but you see it hear nothing about it and get no notion that it is. Everyone is well dressed and well fed. Just this band of looneys led by some weirdo transgender guy. He plays a strong role but anyway it ended shoddily. He should've did that to the guy who killed his partner. It was an ways way to die by the main villain running into the bus
September 23, 2017
Mad Max: While it may not be a masterpiece or a great movie. Mad Max is stunning and visually great with impressive stunts and crashes. But this underrated classic deserves at least one viewing.
½ September 16, 2017
Story about a biker gang that terrorizes a town and the cops that go after them. For those of you who are too young, this movie is famous for George Miller's road chasing scenes. Today they seem tame by comparison to movies like "The Transporter" but this was the first movie to do this type of action.
½ September 15, 2017
I didn't enjoy this film as much as I wanted to, I found the story to be predictable and dull, The acting wasn't great, The villains were just a a typical crazy biker gang and didn't seem a threat to anyone other than women and children, It did have some good car chase scenes and some cool stunts but it felt too dull and the ending was pretty tame compared to what I thought it would be like, It's not a terrible film more of a let down.