Mad Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Reviews

December 4, 2016
Survived the test of time, created an eerie and disturbing universe of post-apocalyptic life.
½ December 2, 2016
Dated and with terrible acting. Mostly consists of Mel Gibson grunting and men dressed in s&I'm garb yelling.
½ November 27, 2016
Painful to watch. On Blu-ray.
November 24, 2016
If you're like me, you wanted to watch the original Mad Max movies after seeing Fury Road, which is easily one of the best films of the decade and a landmark in cinema. So when I came to watch this original, I was left disappointed. In its 93 minute runtime, not much actually happens that really matters until well into the third act, and even then it doesn't really pick up speed until the final 20 minutes. Pacing is a problem in this movie. Mad Max had the right elements to be a mixture of The Warriors and Death Wish, but drags endlessly. And the saddest part is that with a modern day George Miller, these elements could have been tightened up, to really drive the elements that lead Max to go from jaded police officer to vigilante. It's just a shame we spend so little time on the latter, that it clearly means that The Road Warrior will promise a more exciting film.

The cast is alright, but ultimately nothing really shocking here. Mel Gibson, who is great, fades into the background much like Tom Hardy's take on the character. But with it being a movie focused on Max's origins, it's problematic. And while it's interesting to see how he gets his car, how he loses his family, and how he lived in a world much like our own (surprising since in about 10 - 20 movie years, the world is apocalyptic), so much could have been removed or reshot so that the stronger parts of this movie take place earlier on, and we can see how bad-ass this character is.
½ November 19, 2016
This is a great movie! It looks amazing on Blu-Ray.
½ September 22, 2016
an amazing film and excellent build up of gibsons character (which i believe is the biggest purpose of this film)
½ September 22, 2016
While it could use more action, the "Mad Max" that started them all has enough weight to the narrative to save it from aging as badly as it could have.
½ September 16, 2016
More plot than the others to get in the way of the action, and things are perhaps a little too civilised, but what action there is is outstanding, it's full of colourful characters and awesome vehicles, and Hugh Keays-Byrne's Toecutter is one of my favourite ever movie villains. It's almost as though this one tells all the necessary story, allowing the sequels to exist as the extended action sequences they are. This is where Max gets mad.
September 8, 2016
Mad Max sure has all the madness we would expect, and it's great like that.
½ August 29, 2016
The Apocalypse is now Max's, full of rage and death
August 14, 2016
82%
While essentially watchable for Keays-Byrne as Toecutter distinctively, Mad Max is slow to start but delivers the goods for those who are patient enough to wait.

V: 73%
½ August 9, 2016
Mad Max traz com perfeição corridas e acidentes acompanhado de uma ótima direção do George Miller e atuação de Mel Gibson
August 5, 2016
Triumphant and forceful! Theron and Hardy on fire - what's not to like?!
½ July 31, 2016
This must have been the first film of its kind. I'm not sure how it spawned a sequel. It's pretty boring throughout.
July 28, 2016
good but it just misses being great good story but it felt slow at times but apart from that good flim
July 26, 2016
Mad Max is an exciting action film with some unbelievable stunts and car crashes that are a sight to see!
July 25, 2016
I tought the plot was so weak. I've got to admit I was excepting way more of the beginning of this franchise. However the acting was good and the action scenes were thrilling. Loved the performance by Hugh Keays-Byrne
July 22, 2016
***
Although the film feels underwhelming at points, it hits the mark emotionally. The action is well captured, and the film can be really masterful at points, however the villains are not developed at all, and the revenge plot kicks in far too late. That being said, it's easily the most story-heavy Mad Max movie, which I appreciated.
July 19, 2016
This is a great movie but it's a bit forgettable. Its plot is about a cop who's tired of his job and wants to retire. After he kills a member of a gang, the other members try to get revenge on him and his family. The rest of the film, he has to survive them. The movie has a barren and rundown environment which draws the viewer into it. Mel Gibson did a great performance as a man whose tired of being a cop because he's seen way too many cops die. The movie takes a dark turn at the end and it makes one of the most memorable movie scenes of the decade. Its choice makes it into a cult classic. I do feel that it slowed down a bit at the middle though. In that time, we got to know the characters but I would've rather seen more action. It's still a pretty intriguing movie and it's pretty interesting. Sure the sequel is better but this is still a great movie. Fans of action movies will likely enjoy this movie because it's a great example of its genre.
½ July 18, 2016
There is a reason why Mad Max remains a cult classic, George Miller created a violent apocalyptic world where fuels are now scarce and violent gangs terrorise people. Mel Gibson was the star of this film in his very early film career, he truly did a marvellous job playing the titular character. Overall, Mad Max has enough car stunts to satisfy action buffs, even if the acting was not the greatest.