Maelstrom Reviews

• Sep 16, 2020

Pretty good flick though a lil fishy.

Pretty good flick though a lil fishy.

• Sep 05, 2020

A surrealist romance with poetic imagery and reaching moral questions.

A surrealist romance with poetic imagery and reaching moral questions.

• Sep 01, 2020

Villeneuve is getting a little better, but his best work is still ahead of him.

Villeneuve is getting a little better, but his best work is still ahead of him.

• Jul 07, 2018

Here I am, finishing the filmography of Villeneuve with one of his first works. "Maelstrom" is abut the randomness of life and death. Probably nothing that I didn't see before, but I guess that a talking fish and some good music can go a long way (at least once).

• May 06, 2018

Unusual drama with darkly comedic undertones (overtones?). Quirky exploration of depression, guilt, and loss. Worth a watch. Oh, and it is narrated by a fish head

• Apr 10, 2018

Filme bem diferente e interessante....altas idas e vindas.

Filme bem diferente e interessante....altas idas e vindas.

• Feb 10, 2018

Denis Villeneuve film I saw years ago. Simple story, realism except for little flaws. I think the theme is cruelty, whether willful, accidental, or naive. I like the idea of the double guilt we get to compare. Good work announcing better to come.

• Feb 20, 2017

Even though I found the story uneven, the focused look at devastation is strong here. The over exposed look also helped achieve that.

• Feb 14, 2017

(G) 7.6 [Denis Villenueve]

(G) 7.6 [Denis Villenueve]

• Feb 01, 2017

A more grounded and ambicious flick, Villeneuve's second film plays with several plot devices that, effectively, works on favour of a movie with great visuals and substance, although the rythm and some music selections don't quite work.