Mamma Mia! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mamma Mia! Reviews

May 22, 2018
anyone who doesnt like this film is a bore
May 13, 2018
If I could describe this movie with one word I would use What. The story makes no since at all, the characters are as wacky and confusing as the story, some of the performances are absolutely awful most notably Brosnan, and it is just an odd movie. I will say the best part of this movie is some of the songs but that's just a few like Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen being the two best. Overall if you really don't need to check this movie out unless you have nothing better to do and I do mean nothing.
½ April 12, 2018
abba songs and an exotic greek backdrop are enjoyable, but it suffers from poor, awkward direction and sloppy execution of the plot, which strings the songs together.
March 17, 2018
The best movie I've ever seen in my ENTIRE life like the summery really says that it won't make you dance the whole 90 mins BITTY I WAS SCREAMING AND SHAKING EVERY BONE IN MY BODY THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST MOVIE EVER ALSOOOOOO THE BEST SONGS EVER LIKE YOU LITERALLY JUST CAN'T BEAT THIS FREKAIABWKAHSJEBD MOVIEEEESS
March 16, 2018
The largely irrelevant and often painfully contrived story makes for uncomfortable viewing, but it succeeds at poking fun at its own cheesiness. Performances (while enthusiastic) don't win over - especially when sloppy auto-tune is involved!
½ March 15, 2018
What is this??? This is not a film, this is a karaoke with your favourite great actors and actresses singing ABBA songs for no apparent reason! I can't blame most of the actors for their terrible, dull, over the top and unconvincing acting (Meryl! What are you doing??), maybe they know that the content they're involved in is awful! The singing is pretty ghastly (you can't deny it Pierce!) although Amanda Seyfried and her singing is probably the only thing that's positive in this film. But come on, this is a pretty bad film with nothing in it at all to impress and delight people, except ABBA followers (and a few girls) who want to do nothing but sing and dance along when somebody on screen starts losing it!
March 13, 2018
To quote The Grinch, ?Hate hate hate. Hate hate hate. Loathe entirely!!!!?.
½ February 10, 2018
One of the worst films ever made (and I LIKE Abba!!!). Utterly terrible in every way - makes The Room look like a masterpiece. I've only given it half a star because I don't want anyone being under the impression that I might have forgotten to rate it. It would be zero otherwise.
½ January 28, 2018
My personal favorite musical, Mamma Mia! proves worthy of being on the big screen and does an amazing job at making you want to memorize their songs. I love the cast and the acting is amazing!
January 25, 2018
This was my favourite movie when it came out ten years ago. I couldn't stop watching it over and over again. I love how they planned the movie around the music, it's so great.
January 14, 2018
awful, I think it was one of those movies where these big stars HAD to do it per their contract. And no, not a hater of musicals-this was just terrible. What was with the lighting too?
½ January 6, 2018
I couldn't take it anymore. I had to shut it off. Just stupid.
December 26, 2017
I love this movie! Its so much fun and a great sing-a-long and great fun for everyone! The movie is even better with Meryl Streep! I would definitely recommend this movie! You should definitely watch it! It is so worth it! It is so funny and just all round amazing!
½ December 20, 2017
I had so much fun watching and singing to the songs in this movie.
October 29, 2017
A jukebox musical about a bride to be longing to find out who her father is after discovering her mother had been with three men. Told using the songs of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" is a phenomenal film and full of fun.
September 2, 2017
I usually don't like musicals, but this one was great.
August 23, 2017
A very simple movie about Amanda Seyfried trying to figure out who her father is between three men (played by Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard) before her wedding, with some of ABBA's biggest hits worked into the plot.

There's not much of a story, but that's not the point of the movie. The point of the movie is the big musical numbers, with Hollywood actors showcasing their vocal range and singing talent. I could see myself enjoying this simplistic musical based on ABBA's biggest songs (even though I don't care for ABBA all that much) if the cast in this film could sing.

Amanda Seyfried and Meryl Streep are noticeably better than the rest of the cast, but they're also noticeably flat at times, especially Meryl Streep's performance of "The Winner Takes It All". The male cast members have more trouble hitting the right notes, as Colin Firth looked and sounded uncomfortable when he started singing, and Pierce Brosnan sounded like a horse. Or if any other farm animal comes to mind, Pierce Brosnan sounds like that too. His singing in the movie was so laughable, I could watch him sing "S.O.S." many times, as it makes me wish that this movie was campier.

Musical numbers are also awkwardly placed in the movie. During dialogues, characters would randomly start to sing, and some of the back-to-back musical numbers were grating and unpleasant to my ears. This movie is made for the fans of the musical, and while the movie can be fun at times, watching Hollywood actors do drunk karaoke isn't always a pleasant sight.
August 9, 2017
Cheese and melodrama take center stage in this overdone, simple-minded soap opera disguised as a musical. With nonsensical narrative changes and a general sense of gloss over intelligence, Mamma Mia! is really only for those who are extremely dedicated fans of Abba or those who enjoy watching familiar faces sing and dance around for almost two hours.
July 17, 2017
I love this movie. It's such a classic that I can sing and dance for the whole 109 minutes because the ABBA songs are so catchy and lovable you can't help but not to. It has humour and romance that it's entertaining for everyone.
July 14, 2017
I hated ABBA until I saw the stage show of Momma Mia - USA and London. Meryl Streep doesn't hold a candle to the stage actresses who played Donna and ruined this movie for me. She was terrible.