Mamma Mia! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mamma Mia! Reviews

October 29, 2017
A jukebox musical about a bride to be longing to find out who her father is after discovering her mother had been with three men. Told using the songs of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" is a phenomenal film and full of fun.
September 2, 2017
I usually don't like musicals, but this one was great.
August 23, 2017
A very simple movie about Amanda Seyfried trying to figure out who her father is between three men (played by Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard) before her wedding, with some of ABBA's biggest hits worked into the plot.

There's not much of a story, but that's not the point of the movie. The point of the movie is the big musical numbers, with Hollywood actors showcasing their vocal range and singing talent. I could see myself enjoying this simplistic musical based on ABBA's biggest songs (even though I don't care for ABBA all that much) if the cast in this film could sing.

Amanda Seyfried and Meryl Streep are noticeably better than the rest of the cast, but they're also noticeably flat at times, especially Meryl Streep's performance of "The Winner Takes It All". The male cast members have more trouble hitting the right notes, as Colin Firth looked and sounded uncomfortable when he started singing, and Pierce Brosnan sounded like a horse. Or if any other farm animal comes to mind, Pierce Brosnan sounds like that too. His singing in the movie was so laughable, I could watch him sing "S.O.S." many times, as it makes me wish that this movie was campier.

Musical numbers are also awkwardly placed in the movie. During dialogues, characters would randomly start to sing, and some of the back-to-back musical numbers were grating and unpleasant to my ears. This movie is made for the fans of the musical, and while the movie can be fun at times, watching Hollywood actors do drunk karaoke isn't always a pleasant sight.
August 9, 2017
Cheese and melodrama take center stage in this overdone, simple-minded soap opera disguised as a musical. With nonsensical narrative changes and a general sense of gloss over intelligence, Mamma Mia! is really only for those who are extremely dedicated fans of Abba or those who enjoy watching familiar faces sing and dance around for almost two hours.
July 17, 2017
I love this movie. It's such a classic that I can sing and dance for the whole 109 minutes because the ABBA songs are so catchy and lovable you can't help but not to. It has humour and romance that it's entertaining for everyone.
July 14, 2017
I hated ABBA until I saw the stage show of Momma Mia - USA and London. Meryl Streep doesn't hold a candle to the stage actresses who played Donna and ruined this movie for me. She was terrible.
July 8, 2017
An over exuberant movie musical which should never be made as a musical.
½ July 6, 2017
I loved it!! It is now my favorite musical. and I danced and danced at the ending credits.... "do you want another one"? YES, I do!!!
July 2, 2017
Merly Streep: I knew that shes a great actress,but didnt know that shes a great singer =) An enjoyable musical
½ June 21, 2017
One of the worst movies ever made! This "musical" movie sounds like drunken karaoke. There where people singing who had no talent (Pierce Brosnan I am looking at you!) Even Meryl Streep fell flat a few times. The choreography was so half-assed you will be embarrassed for how lazy and uncoordinated it all looked. None of the songs really related to what was currently occurring in the film's plot. This is not just a chick flick it is only for the dumbest of the dumb. The whole movie looked like a cheaply made Youtube production. The costume design was embarrassingly bad.. The film most likely blew its budget on the high profile actors... none of which had the singing talent for the roles. I doubt the director even showed up for most of the scenes. Just do not even see it.
½ June 4, 2017
After my wife went to go see the play, I was excited to see the movie but I had no idea what it was about. I was very impressed. Don't listen to the negative Nancy's who say the music is in good the singing is bad it was overall very enjoyable. I judge movies on whether I want them to be over I'm not in this one I did not it was a fun blast. It was nostalgic I enjoyed the summer love wedding fest in Greece! I recommend it!
½ May 27, 2017
Eh, it's fine I like it
May 22, 2017
Mamma Mia! is a perfect musical and in my opinion its better that the characters didn't have a perfect singing voice as it makes it more unique and realistic beacuse you have a Architect, Banker, Travel writer and a Hotel owner on a Greek Island just letting out some fun, and thats what makes it fun and joyful that they are just being normal people. So in regards of casting, i think they were all cast beautifully with Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan giving Great Performances. The Greek Island was absolutely gorgeous, And the Soundtrack is great! So overall this film is very fun and i reccomend it.
½ April 14, 2017
the cast is terrific, and some of the songs are really good and sticky, but I think this is one of those stories that are better as a play. not as a movie.
March 12, 2017
Honestly couldn't even finish this one.
½ February 26, 2017
This movie...it's not good.
February 12, 2017
Lay All Your Love On Me!!
February 11, 2017
I really want to get it but not pay for it but it is the best film ever
February 8, 2017
Te es imposible no cantar ni bailar
January 17, 2017
Did you know Meryl Streep can do a toe-touch? Seriously! And that Pierce Brosnan has a raspy yet macho singing voice? Kind of like a deeper Bryan Adams. Basically, if you like ABBA, if you like fun fluffy musicals, if you dig that type of energy, this is a blast. If not, move along. Colin Firth adds charm, Amanda Seyfried's got some pipes, the Greek scenery is gorgeous, and there's a lot of girl-power going on. Not a lot of substance, but that's not what it's going for. It just wants to give you a good time, and it succeeds. ***1/2 (out of five). Rated PG-13 for innuendo.