Marriage Italian Style - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marriage Italian Style Reviews

September 13, 2016
Pretty common italian comedy. I don't think Loren is good enough in this picture. Mastroianni does all the job, but have to admit they look brilliantly together on the screen.
July 19, 2016
An Italian delight that finds an enviable balance between comedy and drama and never drops the ball, with Sophia Loren in a surprising performance lending a lot of complexity to a character that could have been easily made into a caricature - comedy- or melodrama-wise.
May 9, 2016
First of all I think the naming of the movie was rather irrelevant... "Marriage Italian Style"! Well it was about everything but Italian style marriage. They named it after the great "Divorce Italian Style" to lure audience into cinema but that's not really important. It was a descent movie despite the Very flat opening, cheesy flash backs, Not so great performances but overall probably because of chemistry between Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni it turned out to be a memorable romance drama movie which doesn't hurt to watch but not essential. I can't think it could be better than this because the potential was very limited in first place. For what it was, it was a good NOT AWARD WORTHY movie.
February 14, 2016
Fine little comedy which would probably have suited Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in an English language version!
½ October 27, 2015
Climbing a social ladder of success, from an older child in a baker's shop to a wed mother of three, life was difficult for many Europeans in the decades after WWII. But for whose benefit was it done? There is one love a woman may have which often trumps all others in her lifetime.

Average cinematography and editing, but there are several moments when powerful performances are captured perfectly.
½ April 18, 2015
I due interpreti hanno dato vita a performance migliori, alla fine ne esce fuori una commedia piacevole che tende a dilungarsi un po' troppo sul finale.
March 30, 2015
good rom-com saw again recently & its still funny
½ September 14, 2014
Fun humorous story, the title says it all. Italians do it their own way, even if it's a little silly from an outsider's perspective.
½ August 22, 2014
A lovely screwball comedy featuring the 2 legends of Italian cinema, Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.
½ June 14, 2014
A fairly entertaining Italian melodrama.
½ December 12, 2013
I loved this film and I absolutely love the chemistry between Mastroianni and Loren. The comedy is fantastic and the plot twists are an absolute delight.
June 29, 2013
Marriage Italian Style is one of those rare classics that offers not only steaming sex, sophisticated style, witty dialogue, and great acting, but most important of all: a great story line. It is also rare to see actors whose performances outshine their physical appearance when that appearance is so extraordinary to begin with. Such is the case with classic.
January 2, 2013
Not as good as "Divorce, Italian Style", its still entertaining and has its funny moments. Plus it has both Sophia Loren who is excellent in this film as well as Mastroianni.
December 28, 2012
I really want to give this a higher rating, because this is some brilliant movie making from some of the greatest actors of all time. But the ending just falls apart for me. 22 years of abuse (yes, abuse) and we get that ending? I don't get it.
October 14, 2012
Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni are wonderful together in "Marriage Italian Style" even when there's nothing but hate between them. Watching them interact with one another is almost reason enough to recommend "Marriage Italian Style," but there's more to it than just these two performers. The script is clever in how it continues to throw these two characters in and out of love with one another and in order for it to work it requires focused, cohesive direction, which Vittorio De Sica is willingly able to provide.
August 17, 2012
Can anyone do comedy better than the Italians? Its hard to imagine how that would be possible.
August 14, 2012
This movie was just boring. A young, pretty Sophia Loren but that's about it. I really tried to like this movie but I couldn't..it bored me to death.
½ July 14, 2012
and again this two nasty artists made an excellent film!

I like this line:
"How can he have a heart attack without having a heart?!"
June 13, 2012
This is pure comedy! It has a great duo: Sophia and Marcello. It has a moving storyline that's brought together by drama and comedy. Every second of this movie is pure heaven!
½ June 8, 2012
I could not take my eyes off her,