The Men Who Stare at Goats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Men Who Stare at Goats Reviews

June 22, 2017
Being a "Star Wars" fan, it's surprising that much of the allusion to the Jedi culture is used to explain a psychic spy branch in the United States Army, of all the strange things the military could ever do. It shines with such a premise that seems zany yet believable, and many cast members who run the gamut from serious to outrageous. The film sets itself apart from other out of this world experiences by separating itself from the usual war parody genre by providing a misunderstood alternative. This is why several scenes will lose its viewers, but it's a puzzling experience never meant to be solved.
April 10, 2017
When we see ourselves doing or not doing, we rather see ourselves doing what can make a difference we join the army. When we see are not fighters but journalists to see what new tactics we don't usually see here st home to report. When we see not everything we see in somethings are to build powers for greater strength but to build no powers or strength when we see we prefer peace over war. When we see the paths some people take after seeing enough in being in a war nobody wishes to see, that we see we can be used for a greater good. When we see we have powers to change to start a army of peace in whom people wish to fight a war in what they see is the right way. When we see we grew our fellowship when people see what we see when we grow the JediĀ  warrior inside us using the tools we are given. When not everything we see works when we don't know how they work. When not everything we can see when we are not looking at somethings heading our way. When we can't believe we are seeing the end when we see where we are and whom we are with to see this is destiny or somethingĀ  else.

When what we see nobody could belief when such things are not what represents what we see here on our civil life. When what we see as the wierd & strange stories that are made to be seen light but don't present it's much in depth truth, that is really dark. When somethings we see, others need to hide and lie about. When what many don't see what happens out here, in places where it's restricted to our eyes only, anything we see happen is possible. When finding the next solution or answer we need impossible answers we never thought to see and need a test subject to experiment on to see if they notice. When we don't see we are seen as a sponge, soaking up as much information to present a one sided story when we don't see there are various sides to see. When we see we are in a war zone and we are dealing with not so heavily powered weapons that meets the eye, and some we keep searching for that could end the war. When we need to see everything to know everything, to solve everything to conqueror everything.
½ February 22, 2017
what a stupid fuckin movie hah
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 20, 2017
Strange "comedy" never turns into anything other than that. On Blu-Ray.
½ November 18, 2016
This film was adorable! "The silence of the goats." Jeff Bridges in his element.
½ November 14, 2016
I would've rather stared at real goats than watch this. The movie has no point to it, other than to say that at one point in recent American history, there might've been American soldiers who were trained to be lethal psychics. That concept never makes it as a legitimate movie.
½ September 29, 2016
A little better than I expected. A heartwarming story of some goofballs and their strange ideas and beliefs. Funny how Ewan McGregor gets to play a Jedi again in his acting career. I wonder how the Star Wars people felt about that. Some likeable characters in funny situations in warzone Iraq. Funny disclaimer at the end of credits: "...The filmmakers ask that no one attempt walking through walls, cloudbursting while driving, or staring for hours at goats with the intent of harming them...invisibility is fine."
½ September 5, 2016
Based on a true story? You decide. But quite amusing to watch while you think about it.
½ August 16, 2016
Reporter Bob Wilton is in search of his next big story when he encounters Lyn Cassady, a shadowy figure who claims to be part of an experimental U.S. military unit. According to Cassady, the New Earth Army is changing the way wars are fought. A legion of "Warrior Monks" with unparalleled psychic powers can read the enemy's thoughts, pass through solid walls, and even kill a goat simply by staring at it. Now, the program's founder, Bill Django, has gone missing and Cassady's mission is to find him.
June 18, 2016
Not for everyone. It takes a certain level of enlightenment to appreciate this movie.
May 29, 2016
One of those movies you wanted to see because of the trailer, and when it's not exactly how you wanted it to be, you're either really disappointed or like it more than you thought you would. My brain feels both ways.
April 20, 2016
Its not new in Hollywood to present bland silliness and satire packaged with utmost seriousness, 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' comes off initially as a potential winner from this genre. While it had the necessary humor and a stellar starcast capable of enacting that, the script neither reaches the edginess it should have nor pushes the boundry to make this movie memorable.

Bob Wilton (Ewan McGregor) is a journalist by profession and going through a professional and personal crisis that he is so desparate to get out of. When he meets Gus Lacey (Stephen Root) and hears about the US Army's 'New Earth Army' that deals with parapsychology and psychic capabilities trained by Bill Django (Jeff Bridges), he knows that he encountered the story he has been waiting for that could get him out of his crisis. He meets Lyn Cassady (George Clooney) by chance in Iraq and tags along with him into wilderness to cover a 'mission' in action.

George Clooney and Jeff Bridges have played goofy characters in the past - 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' and 'The Big Lebowski' respectively, a little disappointed that they don't share enough screen space. However it was more than compensated with some crackling chemistry and impeccable comic timing between McGregor and Clooney. While the writers, director and editors succeed in setting up an interesting plot taking cues from disjointed real events, the audience would be stuck in a never ending wait for the stakes to go up. Kevin Spacey does a character he has done a thousand times over and seems to have sleepwalked it. The production values are excellent all thanks to the big cast it boasts of, though the quality of humor is great, the jokes are a little too few and far to get wholesome entertainment. Though the director Grant Heslov is not new to Hollywood, it is still his debut of directing a major Hollywood feature and does a decent job.

Watch it for the satire, crackling chemistry and comic timing between Clooney and McGregor. Feels like a meal that finished with just the appetizers.
½ April 18, 2016
really good, funny, smart movie. watch it, it's really worth it.
March 10, 2016
I seriously can't believe how much people overlooked this movie. As a very judgmental film critic, when I say I really like a movie, I mean it. A news reporter (played by fake, but cool American accent McGregor) meets Clooney, and the laughs keep coming. But not laughs like side-splitting, more like constant giggles and snickers. Which this has so far been the only movie to do that for me. Hilariousness is portrayed in subtlety. Magnificent, and not only that, but seeing 4 of my favorite male actors play morons is just awesome. So if you like Clooney, Spacey, McGregor, and Bridges (a.k.a. The dude) not watching this movie would mean missing out on what I think was the funniest movie of 2009 (Sorry Hangover fans)
½ February 21, 2016
Exeptionally terrible, avoid at all costs
January 1, 2016
Saw this movie when it came out. I thought it was funny.
½ December 31, 2015
Very funny and assured throughout.
½ December 24, 2015
This is real government program
November 6, 2015
George was awesome and yeah