Modern Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Modern Times Reviews

February 24, 2017
Charlie Chaplin is one of the Greatest Director/Writer/Actors of All Time .
His work has inspired MAny People even if it was a Comedy .
a Lot of Respect for This Man
½ January 25, 2017
The physical comedy fan in me absolutely adores this high-quality work from Chaplin. He truly was a genius and created so many hilarious situations that he makes even funnier with his wacky performance. I loved the inventive way he maintained the traditional silent comedy but injected sound sparingly. It punctuated a few jokes perfectly. I think, while some of the comedy vignettes were better in Modern Times than in City Lights (the other Chaplin film I've seen,) the underlying story was stronger in the latter. I must admit I came close to losing interest with this one. Luckily, the next big comedy sequence would roll around and drag me back in. Overall, Modern Times had some ups and downs. I definitely enjoyed it, and certain moments were laugh out loud hilarious. But, despite my general enjoyment of the silent films I've seen, I doubt any will become favorites for me.
½ October 20, 2016
I didn't love 'Modern Times' as much as 'The Great Dictator', but it's certainly still a classic and extremely fun to watch. Some great slapstick in the factory, some hilarious accidental drug-taking in the prison and an excellent skating scene in the shop. A nice story of The Tramp helping The Gamin as they fall in love and try to make a life in modern society. Chaplin sure is great to watch, and it's interesting to have some sounds in this one.
October 10, 2016
Chaplin writes, directs, acts and even wrote the music for this odd feature that has it's own story, yes, but is far more interesting for the underlying tale: that of a man watching time pass him by. He comments on a lot on the newfangled technology and learning to live with it, and how consumption becomes not only what we do but who we are, and that's obvious, but it's his unsaid bits that resonate. His Tramp, wrongly jailed, begs to stay when offered freedom, one of many insights offered in this complex piece that might live on longer than anything else he's famous for.
October 7, 2016
Greatest of all time.
½ October 6, 2016
Modern Times is a real comedy classic.
August 11, 2016
excelente,todo un clasico,excelente comedia,chaplin como siempre nuestro clasico del cine,espectacular pelicula
July 10, 2016
Aww look, he can't do nuffin' right!
June 16, 2016
Chaplin's greatest film. A personal favorite.
½ June 1, 2016
Charlie Chaplin is the master of silent pantomime and this comedy shows the Little Tramp in fine form. Here we have some classic scenes, hilarious moments, and a commentary on society and its future. My favourite film of 1936. 1001
½ May 15, 2016
"Modern Times," Charlie Chaplin's relevant satire of the Depression era, is both funny and powerful.
½ April 30, 2016
A great comedic epic. Chaplin's critique of capitalism is right on the money, but none of it would have worked if the movie wasn't also hilarious.
½ April 27, 2016
Innovative and smart.
Because there is no dialogue then actions and themes are more perceptible, and the theme here is as relevant today as then.
Really refreshing to watch an old movie like this from time to time.
½ April 24, 2016
Among the 20-25 best films ever made!
April 22, 2016
Modern Times (1936) ????
Chaplin's second best (after THE GOLD RUSH) is in a class all by itself, alone, and in comparison with even the best of modern-day movies. The Tramp struggling to live in modern industrial society provides basis for some of the greatest sight gags in screen history. If you have not seen this movie, your life is poorer.
April 22, 2016
Though I grew up knowing and seeing glimpses of Charlie Chaplin's work, this was my first viewing of a full feature film. I am glad I picked the right movie. I mostly am strict about not watching movies released before 1960s since I neither can connect with them nor appreciate the technology used. But this movie baffled me on both fronts dealing with everlasting topics like employee management, changing times, love and hope bundled in beautifully orchestrated scenes like the blindfolded skating, video teleconferencing and automation. Considering the frame rate, scope size, loud background score, this movie didn't put me off as much as I thought it would with a large help from the screen presence of beautiful Paulette Goddard.

A Factory Worker (Charlie Chaplin) works in a large manual assembly line and due to his hypnotic work schedule goes into a temporary nervous breakdown causing havoc in the operations. When sent to jail, due to a freak accident and a bizarre incident ends up thwarting an escape plan by fellow prisoners thus building a rapport with the police. With the outside world crumbling in union strikes, unemployment and hunger, the little tramp seems to be making a good life for himself inside the prison walls. When the day finally comes for his release, he makes up his mind to do something to get back to prison which is when he meets a beautiful but down on her luck young girl A Gamin (Paulette Goddard).

Chaplin's entire screenplay revolves around coincidences, pure good or bad luck and how he deals with his positive outlook. Though loud, light hearted and in your face on the outset - the power of human spirit, current political satire and hope are always the underlying themes of most of his movies. The perfection of the finished product is easily seen in most of the scenes which actually looked quite technologically superior for its time. Paulette Goddard looked gorgeous and her pleasing presence elevates the likability of the movie. The background score has some melodious tunes but mostly spoiled by the loudness and acoustic nature of the sound available at the time. The comic choreography is very imaginative and actually has a very solid plot even with very little said.

Brilliant comic choreography with a story relevant to this day
March 20, 2016
Chaplin's masterpiece is not only a brilliant and funny commentary on industrialism and technology, but also on how capitalism and materialism have made us more mechanical as a soceity.
March 11, 2016
Our era will never produce a satire as lighthearted or as poignant or as brilliant as this.