Modern Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Modern Times Reviews

August 11, 2016
excelente,todo un clasico,excelente comedia,chaplin como siempre nuestro clasico del cine,espectacular pelicula
July 10, 2016
Aww look, he can't do nuffin' right!
June 16, 2016
Chaplin's greatest film. A personal favorite.
½ June 1, 2016
Charlie Chaplin is the master of silent pantomime and this comedy shows the Little Tramp in fine form. Here we have some classic scenes, hilarious moments, and a commentary on society and its future. My favourite film of 1936. 1001
½ May 15, 2016
"Modern Times," Charlie Chaplin's relevant satire of the Depression era, is both funny and powerful.
½ April 30, 2016
A great comedic epic. Chaplin's critique of capitalism is right on the money, but none of it would have worked if the movie wasn't also hilarious.
½ April 27, 2016
Innovative and smart.
Because there is no dialogue then actions and themes are more perceptible, and the theme here is as relevant today as then.
Really refreshing to watch an old movie like this from time to time.
½ April 24, 2016
Among the 20-25 best films ever made!
April 22, 2016
Modern Times (1936) ????
Chaplin's second best (after THE GOLD RUSH) is in a class all by itself, alone, and in comparison with even the best of modern-day movies. The Tramp struggling to live in modern industrial society provides basis for some of the greatest sight gags in screen history. If you have not seen this movie, your life is poorer.
April 22, 2016
Though I grew up knowing and seeing glimpses of Charlie Chaplin's work, this was my first viewing of a full feature film. I am glad I picked the right movie. I mostly am strict about not watching movies released before 1960s since I neither can connect with them nor appreciate the technology used. But this movie baffled me on both fronts dealing with everlasting topics like employee management, changing times, love and hope bundled in beautifully orchestrated scenes like the blindfolded skating, video teleconferencing and automation. Considering the frame rate, scope size, loud background score, this movie didn't put me off as much as I thought it would with a large help from the screen presence of beautiful Paulette Goddard.

A Factory Worker (Charlie Chaplin) works in a large manual assembly line and due to his hypnotic work schedule goes into a temporary nervous breakdown causing havoc in the operations. When sent to jail, due to a freak accident and a bizarre incident ends up thwarting an escape plan by fellow prisoners thus building a rapport with the police. With the outside world crumbling in union strikes, unemployment and hunger, the little tramp seems to be making a good life for himself inside the prison walls. When the day finally comes for his release, he makes up his mind to do something to get back to prison which is when he meets a beautiful but down on her luck young girl A Gamin (Paulette Goddard).

Chaplin's entire screenplay revolves around coincidences, pure good or bad luck and how he deals with his positive outlook. Though loud, light hearted and in your face on the outset - the power of human spirit, current political satire and hope are always the underlying themes of most of his movies. The perfection of the finished product is easily seen in most of the scenes which actually looked quite technologically superior for its time. Paulette Goddard looked gorgeous and her pleasing presence elevates the likability of the movie. The background score has some melodious tunes but mostly spoiled by the loudness and acoustic nature of the sound available at the time. The comic choreography is very imaginative and actually has a very solid plot even with very little said.

Brilliant comic choreography with a story relevant to this day
March 20, 2016
Chaplin's masterpiece is not only a brilliant and funny commentary on industrialism and technology, but also on how capitalism and materialism have made us more mechanical as a soceity.
March 11, 2016
Our era will never produce a satire as lighthearted or as poignant or as brilliant as this.
March 6, 2016
Um excelente e ousado filme, perfeito mesmo na atualidade, e pode ser facilmente considerado o melhor filme de Charlie Chaplin.
January 5, 2016
While vulgarity rules the humor of today, sometimes it's nice to be amused without being shocked. Modern Times is a simple, innocent film that still manages to produce laughs and leaves its audience with the warm fuzzies in the end. If a prejudice towards silent films turns viewers away, it is only to their disadvantage.
½ January 1, 2016
I kept on laughing and laughing till I realized the real meaning behind the jokes and I stopped laughing. Brilliant. This man is brilliant and I obviously realize that way too late.
½ December 17, 2015
The first twenty minutes are the work of genius, but then the film loses some of its focus and becomes a usual collection of sketches - though most of them hilarious and memorable. And Chaplin's idea of using spoken voices only from mechanical devices is brilliant.
November 26, 2015
This is a deftly comical piece of cinema that appeals to haters and lovers of silent movies and is charming enough to make virtually anyone a "tramp" fan.
November 25, 2015
Charlie Chaplin has directed,starred and written different movies. He was one of the most popular movie stars in his prime.Modern times is regarded as a classic and is one of Charlie Chaplin's most popular movies.This movie contains some very funny scenes and the way it depicts society makes this movie remain relevant to this very day.
½ November 24, 2015
"Modern Times" heavily rely on the Rube Goldberg setups that may seem like they are going to be predictable. They mostly tend to be. But intelligently organized as they are, the funnier they get.