Modern Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Modern Times Reviews

October 27, 2017
Charlie Chaplin's riveting depiction of industrialized America is funny, smart and carries a poignant and timely social critique.
October 1, 2017
It still works. Funny, poignant, and anti-establishment.
August 14, 2017
one of the best really never thought that chaplin is one of the best
August 12, 2017
One of the funniest movies ever!

RIP Charlie Chaplin

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
July 26, 2017
What is truly magical with Chaplin, what makes his works so special is his ability to connect with anyone, especially children. And this rare genius is completely deployed in 'Modern Times', Chaplin's devastating, hilarious satire of industrialization where slapstick has never been more noble, never been more justified. 'Modern Times' is an expressive, thoroughly witty film, made of brilliant sequences (especially those in the prison and factory), whose characters are overwhelming, and whose score (also Chaplin's work) magnifies its silences. Chaplin's silent film is a masterpiece of communication and language.
July 18, 2017
This is a joyfully comical piece of cinema that appeals to haters and lovers of silent movies and is charming enough to make virtually anyone a "tramp" fan.
June 25, 2017
A very awesome movie, THIS is a good comedy film!
½ June 20, 2017
The fear of Chaplin and his tramp Carlitos is the fear of the common man. The uncertainty of a world that in the measure of its modernity, excludes the individual and the spaces for the human feeling.

"Modern Times" uses the facet of satire and at certain times of the parody to result in a critical and conscious comedy. It promotes a laughter contained in a world where the population is comparable to a flock grazed by large corporations and corporations, and even being a film scripted and directed by Charlie Chaplin in 1936, has a strong prophetic or futuristic character, timeless and certainly helplessness, when we reflect In the position of the contemporary world.

Chaplin in "Modern Times" already philosophized on so many important issues that when reviewing his films, we were amazed by his futuristic vision in terms of technology with surveillance systems monitored by cameras, a mix of reality show with face time, (Such as Skype), voice messaging (WhatsApp), digital recording, and the interference of man's banal activities, such as having lunch, being interfered with by machines and everything to ensure more work efficiency, Wasted time with human activities.

In addition to the technological advances, there is in the film, or at least in its first part, an analysis of the effects and reflexes of modernity on man and the world, expressed by relations of subordination and power, by the totalitarianism of business groups and by the inexpressiveness of trade union movements Which result in meager advances and are brutally repressed by the police force. A well-presented paradox in the film is how man has managed to advance in technological modernities that, on the other hand, only increase the differences of social classes, generating groups concentrated by industrial power and a whole mass that is at the mercy of a great employment opportunity Part exploratory and enslaved. Living in miserable conditions, in a daily struggle for survival and without the prospect of a better future, there is nothing left but a passive position of the people, who fulfills their expectations with dreams and fantasies of consumption and a life less unworthy.

The critical character of "Modern Times" knows how to measure well the moments of comedy, in fact, they mix in a homogeneous mass so well structured that allows the public, if it so wishes, to stick only to moments of comedy, but if you want, Just look more closely and we can see and see our world through a critical humor perspective. Perhaps the fear of Chaplin and his tramp Carlitos is the fear of the common man. The uncertainty of a world that in the measure of its modernity, excludes the individual and the spaces for the human feeling.

Particularly, I believe in an attempt by Chaplin to soften his critical stance, for, in structuring the script of "Modern Times," the story is divided into chapters that resemble chapters, and which can, as a filmmaking feature, be relocated without Major implications, since the dependence of one chapter does not strongly interfere with another. This structure that border the sketch or "sketch", are, in my opinion, a weak and harmful feature to the film. So much that the resolution for this is a passage of days, there are no missing cards that inform the next action (chapter), it occurs ten, seven, five, two days later or within weeks. This division is so explicit that we can structure the film in the following way:

Chapter I - Factory;
Chapter II - The Prisoner of the Tramp
Chapter III - The Life of the Poor Girl;

Just in the middle of the movie, we have an unfolding of this critical and political comedy for a romantic comedy that nothing resembles the initial idea proposed to the film. The only vestige that remains of this trait is in the labor relations, the search for a job and a change of life.

With the proviso to the slip of his narrative structure, you had a great work, and one more impeccable work of Chaplin. When "Modern Times" was made, cinema already had the sound feature, but Chaplin, mainly for his ideologies of creating a universal art cinema, which was not hampered by differences of languages ??and other motives, remained faithful to the comic of mimicry , Which made him deservedly famous and admired all over the world.

Conversely to those who say of their fear of using the soundtrack, we have in this film a Chaplin conscious of the advances of the sound and that knows to take advantage of that, the sound is presented as a technology that allows the sending of recorded messages, in the sound games like beats In the door that serve to confuse the actions, in the use of a radio to inhibit the sound of the gastritis and where the radio announcer remembers exactly to take the medicine to heal this evil and especially the sound, like match point of the history. If the hobo can not get a joint job, how about trying life as an artist? But for this it is necessary to sing, therefore he who never speaks. The result
June 17, 2017
Modern Times is as politically incisive as it is laugh-out-loud hilarious.
May 19, 2017
This movie was such a delight to watch and was so hilarious. I don't think I've ever laughed-out-loud so much during a movie.

The thing that's so great about this movie is that the themes are still relevant to today's society. And geniusly enough, the movie is called Modern Times. Modern times back then and modern times now - things haven't really changed much.

Another interesting thing was how historically interesting it was. You get to see how things were during the Great Depression and all the hardships and struggles people had to go through.

Amazing movie! Most definitely will watch it again.
½ May 4, 2017
It's a movie that I want to like more than I do, but it just doesn't hold up today and doesn't compare to other Chaplin films. It was boring and disappointing especially because I had high expectations after seeing City Lights. (First and only viewing - 5/20/2014)
May 4, 2017
Phenomenal movie. Chaplin crafts an intelligent satire in this film addressing the issues that arose from The Great Depression and modern industrialization in the US, also featuring a wonderful lead performance from Chaplin and plenty of his signature comedy.
April 13, 2017
Modern Times gives a Depression-Era comedy of Charlie Chaplin's last ode to the silent film era
February 24, 2017
Charlie Chaplin is one of the Greatest Director/Writer/Actors of All Time .
His work has inspired MAny People even if it was a Comedy .
a Lot of Respect for This Man
½ January 25, 2017
The physical comedy fan in me absolutely adores this high-quality work from Chaplin. He truly was a genius and created so many hilarious situations that he makes even funnier with his wacky performance. I loved the inventive way he maintained the traditional silent comedy but injected sound sparingly. It punctuated a few jokes perfectly. I think, while some of the comedy vignettes were better in Modern Times than in City Lights (the other Chaplin film I've seen,) the underlying story was stronger in the latter. I must admit I came close to losing interest with this one. Luckily, the next big comedy sequence would roll around and drag me back in. Overall, Modern Times had some ups and downs. I definitely enjoyed it, and certain moments were laugh out loud hilarious. But, despite my general enjoyment of the silent films I've seen, I doubt any will become favorites for me.
½ October 20, 2016
I didn't love 'Modern Times' as much as 'The Great Dictator', but it's certainly still a classic and extremely fun to watch. Some great slapstick in the factory, some hilarious accidental drug-taking in the prison and an excellent skating scene in the shop. A nice story of The Tramp helping The Gamin as they fall in love and try to make a life in modern society. Chaplin sure is great to watch, and it's interesting to have some sounds in this one.
October 10, 2016
Chaplin writes, directs, acts and even wrote the music for this odd feature that has it's own story, yes, but is far more interesting for the underlying tale: that of a man watching time pass him by. He comments on a lot on the newfangled technology and learning to live with it, and how consumption becomes not only what we do but who we are, and that's obvious, but it's his unsaid bits that resonate. His Tramp, wrongly jailed, begs to stay when offered freedom, one of many insights offered in this complex piece that might live on longer than anything else he's famous for.
October 7, 2016
Greatest of all time.
½ October 6, 2016
Modern Times is a real comedy classic.