Moneyball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moneyball Reviews

September 25, 2016
With Moneyball, Bennett Miller does more than tell a soul-stirring sports drama. Set in a Giambi-era Oakland A's, Mr. Miller immerses audiences in a struggling institution's data-inspired revolution that shook the baseball world while shifting the sport's competitive approach. Festering in tension between long-embraced traditions and boundary-pushing innovation, the A's are challenged by shallow pockets and lackluster talent when General Manager Billy Beane decides to question the foundations of scouting logic by adopting an obscure statistician's "sabremetrics" claim that an OBR (on-base percentage) is significantly more effective in assessing a player's quality than an RBI. In this, Beane, played by Brad Pitt, supplants his scouts with equations and causes an uproar in the process.

Shining as A's General Manager Billy Beane, a former fielder who bombed the majors as a player, Brad Pitt is Miller's underdog innovator trapped in baseball's dated paradigm. Cocky in a high school star athlete sort of way, Pitt is masterfully authentic in digging into the complexities of the divorced father experiencing meaning in his life by redefining baseball strategy. In this sense, the antagonist isn't a person, or even a character, but an ineffective system reflecting American decay and technological renewal. "Is an algorithm more effective than an experienced professional?" is the central question guiding the plot, breeding a relatable range of self-doubt, insecurity, and courage. Thematically, this translates to, rather Darwinian, "adapt or die" -style lessons on the risks of questioning accepted norms in the name of progress. The story may not be sweet, Pitt's Beane discusses the romance of baseball while he ironically is accused of destroying baseball's mythic romance, but Pitt still shares tender moments. This juxtaposition puts Pitt's impressive versatility on full display - he swings from the ruthless GM trading away his players to the vulnerable dad enchanted by parental love. The best part? He does it in a low-key, natural style that makes it seem effortless. Jonah Hill stars as supporting actor, shining light on Beane's doubts and obstacles.

With a stand-out performance by Pitt and masterful directing by Miller, Moneyball proves an original, beautiful, and insightful take on a data revolution indicative of the times.
September 23, 2016
Brilliant Movie i have no interest in baseball i actually live in England where there is no professional baseball but this movies more than baseball itself its very captivating.
September 13, 2016
With a sharp screenplay and talented actors, Moneyball proves that a sports drama can be as intelligent as it is inspirational.
September 9, 2016
"Moneyball" is the 2011 sports drama film directed by Bennett Miller , based on Michael Lewis' 2003 book, "Moneyball", the screenplay was written by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. It tells the amazing history of Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt) as he, with the help of assistant g.m Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), try and apply Bill James' Submetrics analyses into 2002 MLB season. The film also stars Chris Pratt and Philip Seymor Hoffman.

The plot of the film works by making baseball and its analyses cool and entertaining, keeping the viewer attentive at all times, and also giving its main character depth and development, making this real-life figure much more interesting, and succeeding in not transforming Pitt's character into yet another cliche sports movie coach, or in this case, general manager. This is a great story about baseball and the complexity of the sport that deserved to be told, director Bennett Miller could not have done a better job.

The cast is certainly the best thing about "Moneyball", there's no miss. Brad Pitt gives a praiseworthy performance as he nails the part of Beane, and beside him, doing an even better job is Jonah Hill, the actor does a quiet, yet great performance that stands in the cast. In supporting roles we see (and reminisce) Philip Seymour Hoffman, as always, doing a fine job in the role of coach Art Howe, but the man that caught my eye, and surprised me the most was Chris Pratt, yeah. Pratt is here, as we've never seen him before, from his first scene where we see his character looking down and depressed due to the failure of his career, to his last as see him doing the Home run point. He's been variating between his usual comedy movies and Tv to do more serious roles in drama films, those include his minor appearances in the critically acclaimed films, "Her" and "Zaro Dark Thirty", and the main role as Star-Lord in the new Marvel franchise "Guardian of the Galaxy". As someone who've watched him grow from "Parks and Rec' " to now, I couldn't be happier for the guy.

In the end, "Moneyball" is really well acted, written and directed film with great production value in sound, editing, and music, its a great film for the genre lovers, as it is for the usual movie joe, it's a must-see. 4/5.
½ September 7, 2016
Really good movie and shows you how baseball works behind the scenes.
September 5, 2016
A very good movie, though it's not really sure where to end and when it does, it's a bit off putting
September 5, 2016
Really genuinely moving. Have not stopped thinking about this one since I saw it.
½ September 2, 2016
As a person who follows sports i knew about the analytics and how it changed the game, but put on screen and it's great.
August 19, 2016
Mana yg masih terkenang game tadik, jom tonton Moneyball!
August 16, 2016
A construção da narrativa não é nova, mas o roteiro em si é envolvente, traz diálogos interessantes (e muitas vezes cômicos), focando nas táticas criativas do Oakland Athletics para superar o baixo suporte financeiro e obter destaque na Liga Americana de Beisebol. Em se tratando de elenco, Brad Pitt está muito bem mas, quando em cena, os méritos maiores de O HOMEM QUE MUDOU O JOGO são para Jonah Hill. Muito bom!
August 14, 2016
I really like this movie. I think this is the third time I've seen it, and it's still very entertaining. A baseball movie that hardly shows any baseball, but can still be very engaging and fun. Pitt and Hill are exceptional, and very well deserving of their Oscar nominations.
Could be a bit boring for people who don't like numbers, but if you have even a slight interest in sports statistics, you'll love this movie. Lots of funny parts too.
Watched on Netflix at home, August 13, 2016.
August 5, 2016
As Peter said, Your not buying players, your buying wins. And this movie was a straight win.

-The Critic
August 3, 2016
A real in-depth look on how Billy Beane turned the Oakland Athletics into a World Series contender. It is one of the top baseball films of all time.
½ August 2, 2016
Moneyball is a very compelling subject with great performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill (in a star-making role). It was nice to see Burapi in a role as a protagonist with human failings, which is rare for him in recent years (see World War Z and 12 Years a Slave). I think the movie could have done more with the character's dark side--we see him flip over tables and smash equipment, we never really know why he split with his wife. Highly recommended to anyone interested in management theory. I love how Burapi's character always asked, "What's the problem?" Then repeated the question when the respondents replied with a superficial answer.
½ July 30, 2016
Money ball surprised me in two ways. It is a movie about the reality of the monitary divide between the have and have nots organizations in the world of professional baseball, the contrast between the bigger millionair and the small budget clubs like the Oakland A's, I was also pleasantly surprised by the versatility of Brad Pitt as an actor and his coming of age in becoming one of the best current actors in the movie industry, at times even being minimalistic with his dialog, yet, captivating and very clear in conveying a message.
July 30, 2016
Great cast and great work by Brad Pitt
July 28, 2016
One of my favorite,you can watch it over and over.
July 17, 2016
As a huge movie fan and an even bigger sports fan it's great to see a sports film not follow the cliché plot line of nearly all sport films. The story of Billy Beane and how he adapted and built a team with only what he was given was insightful on how the business side of sports is run.
July 5, 2016
I have never been a fan of baseball, but the script by Aaron Sorkin and the performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are truly made this movie special for me
July 4, 2016
Grade: A-
In a Nutshell: Based on a true story, this smart sports movie hits a home run. The heavy-hitting cast includes Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman (I miss him), Robin Wright, and Chris Pratt.

Uplifting theme:
"Adapt or die." - Billy Beane (Brad Pitt)
"How can you not be romantic about baseball?" - Billy
"I'll change the game. I want it to mean something." - Billy
Baseball is about people, not statistics.
"There is an epic failure going on in the game to understand what is going on." -Peter Brand (Jonah Hill)

Things I liked:
Director Bennett Miller uses interesting camera angles to help you "see" things differently. He also jumps from the roar of the crowd to complete silence to help you "feel" things differently.
Writer Aaron Sorkin is a master at quick-talking deals and clever wit. Some of the dialogues are simply hysterical.
Brad Pitt gives a stirring performance, even though most of the time he is snacking on something or chewing gum.
You hear the voice of sports announcers Bob Costas and Tim McCarver.

Things I didn't like:
At times the flashbacks get jumbled up with the present day and break up the flow of the story.
I hate it when brilliant, visionary protagonists get away with being jerks. For example, Billy is constantly pushing over desks and throwing chairs in tantrums.
If you're not a baseball fan, you might be a little bored at first and not understand some of the references to legends and players. Keep watching.

Funny lines:
"I'm not going to fire you." - Billy
"F-You!" - Grady Fusion (Ken Medlock)
"Now I am." - Billy
"Who's Fabio?" - John Poloni (Jack McGee)
"That sounds like fortune cookie wisdom to me, Billy." - Grady
"No, that's just logic." - Billy
"I asked you to do 3 evaluations. How many did you do?" - Billy
"47. Actually, 51. I don't know why I lied just then." - Peter
"Do you want me to speak?" - Peter
"Yeah, when I point at you." - Billy
"It's not that hard. Tell him, Wash." - Billy
"It's incredibly hard." - Ron Washington (Brent Jennings)
"Good meeting. Every time we talk, I'm reinvigorated by the love of the game." - Billy, sarcastically to Art Howe (Phillip Seymour Hoffman)
"What's your biggest fear?" - David Justice (Stephen Bishop)
"A baseball being hit in my general direction." - Scott Hatteberg (Chris Pratt)
"No. Seriously." - David
"Seriously, that's it." - Scott

Billy's advice:
"When you get the answer you're looking for, hang up."
"You may not look like a winning team, but you are one. So, play like one tonight."
"Is losing fun? Then what are you doing having fun?"

Tips for parents:
2 F-bombs. Wait, this is PG-13 movie, right? According to the MPAA, PG-13 movies are only allowed 1 F-bomb, unless a vote earns a two-thirds majority saying it's ok to have more. Lame.
There's a scene where a baseball player starts to take his pants down and dances on a table, but you don't see anything.
It's actually a really safe movie for kids, although they may be a bit bored with all of the talk of statistics and economics of the game.