Mulan Reviews

• 3d ago

It seems what makes this movie stand out to most of its fans is the fact that Mulan is a female action hero and not a rich princess, she's Asian and not white and it shows little girls that they can and should be treated equally as boys. However, I'm not a kid, I don't have kids, I'm not a sexist, or a racist, so none of these things affects me looking at this as anything more than just a cartoon. A cartoon that's the intellectual property of a multibillion-dollar company that had nothing more in mind than making the most money they could by exploiting a market of fans dissatisfied with the status quo that Disney themselves perpetuated with movies that had white women waiting for a rich handsome prince charmings to save them. They did those movies when it served them and stopped when it didn't. I don't say that try and sound like I've found out their big secret, I say that to say this movie is just okay to me, because of [my] perspective. However, I do respect and understand that there are other ways of looking at this movie that would elevate it to others. But just not me, Eddie Murphy was funny, the villain was pretty forgettable and the love story was so tacked on that if felt like something done in protest, as if they filmmakers said, this is my movie and if you cut it off here it's done, but let it play a few minutes more and you have the studio mandated ending, but I also could be way off. Not bad, not great, good.

• Feb 06, 2020

Suggested Audience: Everyone | Critical Rating: A | Nostalgia Factor: Insane | Viewings: 4+ | Detail: Mulan is one of the animated Disney greats. Both the story and the music are very engaging. The only downside some might find are if you don't enjoy the comic relief dragon played by Eddie Murphy. Any moviegoer, except maybe those with utter disdain for musicals, should give this a chance.

• Feb 03, 2020

This movie not only draws away from Disney's classic princesses but it also sheds light on a whole new view of women's independence and power. Mulan is a brave, strong, independent woman who brings a new taste of the possibilities women can achieve when they're not being pushed down by anyone who tries to tell them they can't do something. On top of being an inspiring role model for young girls and women, Mulan is one of the first minorities the be shown in a popular Disney movie. Mulan is a movie fit for all ages and continues to be an amazing, inspiring, and diverse movie, no matter how long it has been since its release.

• Jan 20, 2020

I feel like I'm often alone on this but this is in my opinion the best animated Disney film of the nineties. It has maybe the best music of all the 90s Disney movies, and some beautiful animation over the coarse of the film. Good comedy but at the same time able to be emotional and gripping when it needs to be. Side note: it's the only Disney film where I feel like the lead character is a good role model for young girls..but I don't like to factor that too much in my review. This movie is a 4.5/5 purely on the merits of the story, animation, characters. Only minuses would be the occasional joke that falls flat or some pacing, but these are minimal and this is the only movie I feel has aged well among the pre-2000 Disney movies.

• Dec 31, 2019

Exquisitely animated. An epic tale of a woman who becomes a warrior to defend and protect her father whilst balancing that act without sacrificing the honor of her family's legacy and disgracing her father, even as the rest of the world is constantly telling her she cannot because she is a woman. The comedy at the very end felt out of place and wholly unnecessary. That is my one sole compliant

• Dec 09, 2019

I'm an outcast when it comes to this movie. I find it ok to good. Some parts of the movie felt boring and drug on at times. I can see why some people enjoy it for its message, and its female empowering statement.

• Dec 07, 2019

Such A good movie an absolute must watch.

Such A good movie an absolute must watch.

• Dec 06, 2019

Mulan is by far one of Disney's best animated movies ever made. I love everything: the animation, the screenplay, the emotional tone and the music. The icing on the cake is the voice performances of Ming-Na Wen, BD Wong, and Eddie Murphy. If you like to see a Disney movie that's unique, then this movie is for you.

• Nov 01, 2019

Very well character development with culturally accurate on how the characters are portraited. The art style that stays true to Chinese culture but yet "made by Disney" look and feel.

• Oct 27, 2019

Mulan is an animated film that premiered in 1998 directed by Tony Bancroft and Berry Cook, based on the Chinese poem "La Mulan's ballad," grossing at the box office was 304 million dollars, was awarded with a golden globe and several annie awards to the best animated feature film, apart from being nominated for an Academy Awards, this movie tells the story of Fa Mulan who is the only daughter of the elder Fa Zhou, due to the age of his father, decides to pose as a man to fight with the invasion of the Huns who are directed by Shan Yu. The family quickly learns of his departure, and Mulan's grandmother prays to the family's ancestors for Mulan's safety. The ancestors command their "great stone dragon" to protect Mulan; a small dragon named Mushu, a disgraced former guardian, is sent to awaken the stone dragon, but accidentally destroys it in the process, which Mushu hides from the ancestors and resolves to protect Mulan. At first Mulan gets into trouble, following Mushu's tactics to turn her into a man, as on the first day she ends up fighting in the camp and everyone gets mad at him (or her). The young woman calls herself Ping and claims to be Fa Zhou's son before her captain, LiShang, there begins an adventure for Mulan as she tries to survive in the army, I think it's a movie that everyone should value since mulan was the first disney movie that mu estra gender equality and makes her viewers see that men and women can achieve the same thing, maybe many don't consider mulan a princess but she's the first disney girl who doesn't need to be rescued and I can only manage to be the heroine of an entire country , it is an excellent movie to see as a family to and teach your children values as equality but above all take care of your own destiny, no one else should be in control of your life, except yourself, you are stronger than you think you just have to look for fu it's inside you. Definitely mulan can be categorized as one of the best movies in history taught us that you have to face fears because it is what makes us braveest, remember "the flower that blooms in adversity is the most beautiful of all".