Night of the Comet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night of the Comet Reviews

September 27, 2016
Aunque Night of the Comet sea otra de esas películas que no solemos recordar tan a menudo en nuestro momentos de nostalgia ochentera, pero sin duda es una pequeña joyita a tener en cuenta.

Lo más curioso de la cinta es lo increiblemente tan autoconsciente que es en su trama y personajes. Tanto es así que hasta parece ser una parodia en sí misma del cine ochentero (aunque con obvias referencias también a la ciencia ficción "drive-in" de los cincuenta). Esto es especialmente evidente en esa representación tan insustancial de sus dos protagonistas, ambas con un encanto y química especial, y en la forma en la que ambas se relacionan con el mundo que las rodea y el resto de variopintos personajes que lo pueblan.

Cierto es que si esta cinta se hiciera a día de hoy el chiste sería mucho más precioso y afilado, sin embargo, la película destila una magia especial como pocas películas.

Muy recomendada para los nostálgicos.
DrStrangeblog
July 12, 2016
Minimalist zombie apocalypse finds two teenage sisters and a trucker as possibly the last humans left alive after Earth's orbit passes through the tail of a comet. There aren't many 'comet zombies' on hand either so don't expect any "Dawn of the Dead" mayhem, this is more of a character study than action movie. The characters are what make it watchable as Rachel and Samantha aren't the brightest bulbs in the box and the script humorously captures the teenage mindset with unusual accuracy. They encounter some memorably creepy stockboys at a clothing store, and while the effects look cheap the deserted city locations give a real sense of dereliction.
February 22, 2016
If you love the sci fi 80's films, this is for you.
February 15, 2016
It's a strange experience re-watching movies you thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. Nowhere near as deep as I remembered it. Right or wrong, I still kinda like it... parts of it at least.
February 1, 2016
One of my favorite trashy '80s movies.
October 27, 2015
Post-Apocalyptic teen wish fulfillment from 1984 featuring a young Roberrt Beltran, 15 years before his stint ac Chakotay on Star Trek Voyage. An artifact of the era.
½ October 24, 2015
Who's likable in this movie? Killer soundtrack & '80s visuals. Too bad about the moral drawbacks. I don't know that there's one redeemable character.

Mall guys: Why would you try to kill the only girls left on earth?! ...both of whom are decently hot.

It's a shame such good music, scenery, & ideas were wasted on a pretty below-average story.
½ October 22, 2015
Lots of fun. End of the world flick with a couple of Valley girls. It's like last man on earth meets Buffy the vampire slayer.
October 10, 2015
This movie starts off as an interesting take on the postapocalyptic and undead genres (with some references to earlier movies), then rapidly turns full 80's with bad music all over the place and the usual unfunny, improbable storyline and ending. Amusingly enough, it features a young Robert BELTRAN (from Star Trek : Voyager fame).
September 16, 2015
If you like b-movies, you gotta check this one out.
½ August 26, 2015
Where Night of the Comet fails in remaining interesting, violent, and unpredictable, it succeeds by having undeniably funny moments, impressive set pieces, and a unique batch of villains. The film can best be described as the zombie movie John Hughes never directed.
April 13, 2015
If remade today,this B movie gem would get the Hollywood treatment and take itself too seriously and be ruined from the outset....the tongue in cheek cheese is what makes this movie.
½ February 8, 2015
A little known sci-fi/horror film that came out right as I was getting into these types of films. A take on "what would you do if you were the last people on Earth" after a devastating comet seemingly kills almost everybody on Earth. Good satirical humor mixed with fear and confusion - the special effects don't hold up all that well, but the story does.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ January 15, 2015
Gave this a re-watch, it's still as silly and campy as the first viewing a few years back.

Valley Girls at the end of the world, fighting zombies and the military that doesn't know how to deal with things anymore.

Yeah, it's a silly concept, it's *painfully* neon and 80's-centric, but I liked it quite a bit and will happily return to it in the future.

Give it a rental.
January 11, 2015
For all you 80's aficionados out there, always on the look out for more hidden cult treasure from the embarrassment of sci fi/horror/genre riches that decade still holds, heres one of the most under appreciated. Night Of The Comet is a genuinely unique end of the world film, and it's easy to see how it may have inspired movies like Shaun Of The Dead and This Is The End, it's unique because of it's point of view of the apocalypse, which centers on a pair of cynical valley girls, who see the end of humanity as a great excuse to go shopping. This is a truly brilliant sci fi, horror satire, one that snares consumer obsessed culture in a way that is, terrifyingly, even more relatable now than it was when it was originally released in the callously shallow yuppie era. It's very funny, occasionally pretty disturbing and creepy, especially it's depiction of murderous government scientists, has a strong smart script and some real ambition to it's mad post apocalypse, plus Katherine Mary Stuart and Kelli Maroney are fantastic as the two sisters reinventing themselves post-humanity. You should give this cool little hidden gem a go.
½ December 6, 2014
This was and still is one of my favorite childhood films of the 80s, which made is why it was even more exciting when I read that Joss Whedon has cited this film as a big influence for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A comet passes by earth and turns most of the human population into red dust (a few are turned into zombie mutants). Catherine Mary Stewart, of "The Last Straighter" fame, and her sister Kelli Maroney wake up after the comet has passed to an empty Los Angeles and then proceed to do what most 1980s teenagers would do. They go to the radio station and spin records. They go to the mall. They shoot stuff up with guns. Therein lies the charm of this film, that it's a teenage fantasy version of the end-of-the-world and it works quite well on that level. There are some bad guys along the way, though my favorites are the stock boys at the mall. "Why, just a few days ago,we were only stock boys. Now we own the store." The film's color palate and production designs really pop in a fun way, and the soundtrack is deliciously 80s. The film came at the tail end of 70s/80s apocalyptic end-of-the-world films like "The Omega Man" and "Dawn of the Dead" but it's the only one that I can remember actually being fun. Most all of these film were either social polemics like "Soylent Green" or "Logan's Run" or they were evolving into grim warriors of the wasteland stories like "The Road Warrior" or "Escape from New York." That's not a bad a thing and some of those are my all-time favorite genre films, but this one stands out as something unique among these films. Thom Eberhardt wrote and directed this film and sadly never made anything else all that memorable outside of the underrated "Without a Clue" (unless you're a fan of "Captain Ron" that is). Overall, this is a wildly fun film, though I will admit that childhood nostalgia may be a factor in my love of this film.
½ November 17, 2014
An interesting idea with nods to classic sci fi - imagine Dawn of the Dead crossed with Bill and Ted - with a surprisingly downbeat message
August 26, 2014
Solid scifi B-movie with some interesting riffs, even if they aren't all successful. It's an interesting script that feels like it could have been more with a rewrite or two. Feels like a slight predecessor to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also liked the super 80's cheese.
August 15, 2014
I watched this film with a couple buddys of mine, and I was the only one out of all of us that liked it. I dint think I would like it but I really did. There's something bizarre about 80's B films that I just love.
August 7, 2014
Decent Sci-Fi comedy. Major twitch off the cheer leader. The final shot cracked me up. Quality.