Norman (Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norman (Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer) Reviews

August 16, 2017
Long winded but worthwhile.
August 13, 2017
Highly recommended - "Norman" by Joseph Cedar (2017) - Another excellent film signed by Israeli director Joseph Cedar. The movie is a gem, and the perfect illustration of what American cinema could be. If you want to fall in love with Richard Gere again, this is the opportunity. You will feel sorry for this ani-hero at first, as he personifies the fears of any wannabe (that is to say all of us). And you will fall in love with him as he redeems himself, as a man in the shade who makes a difference. Gere is continuing his run of terrific latter-career performances. Remember "Norman, my friend".
½ August 2, 2017
This is a tremendous film. It really is. Norman is a fixer, a man who talks to everyone in sight and trades up those relationships over and over, never taking a NO as a final answer. Richard Gere is very good and the entire film has an almost Woody Allen feel to it... maybe it's just tyhe New York jewish thing...
Go and see it before it disappears.
July 30, 2017
This movie is at least 30 min too long. Almost turned it off after an hour. Good ending, I admit, but too long...too plodding.
July 29, 2017
It's not what you know, it's who you know. So this is about a man named Norman Oppenheimer (Richard Gere). He is known as a fixer, and he makes a living by serving as the missing link to getting people what they want. He lands a big fish when he introduces himself to a possible future prime minister. Cut to three years later, and it appears that the meeting could either be his making or his undoing. Now this caught my attention due to a positive review I heard; while it wasn't glowing, it still said all the right things that indicated that this had the potential to be my type of movie. I didn't fall in love with this like I hoped, but this still has scenes that work. Where Norman does succeed (as a film, not as a character) is that it is always interesting to see him do his job. He's essentially a bullshit artist and a middle man, and he has created a job that does not need to exist. He's a smooth operator, and he is always telling his client exactly what they want to hear, but he is also being pushy with his ulterior motives just beneath the surface. That motivation is him trying to get his foot in the door with any and everyone, and it is so much so that conversations in this typically take a turn for the uncomfortable, similar to being stuck in a sales pitch. While watching him work is intriguing and there are interesting moments in this, I do feel like this is slower than it needs to be, and I have to admit this did make me sleepy at a number of different points throughout. A lot of tension in this is undercut by the original title that still appears on the opening credits. "The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer" tells you right off the bat that this is a story that is not going to end well, and this made it so that I was simply waiting for that shoe to drop the entire time. Richard Gere does commit to this role, and the supporting cast is filled with quality character actors that are always pleasant to see, like Steve Buscemi, Michael Sheen and Hank Azaria. Norman is not bad, I just don't know who I would recommend it to.
July 22, 2017
Norman's a walking, talking call to action and somewhat of a nutty superhero. His superpower? Connecting people. Now let's connect Richard Gere to an Academy Award nomination for his brilliant understated performance.
½ July 21, 2017
Three of Richard Gere's best roles have come this decade in "Arbitrage" (2012), "Time Out of Mind" (2015), and now with "Norman", each performance revealing starkly different sides of our recognizable but underrated Hollywood star.
July 20, 2017
Norman is an US-Israeli film about corruption in politics & how it can take over the lives of those involved - gave an interesting insight. Norman felt like it belonged on stage rather than screen. The script is slow-burning and my level of investment did fluctuate throughout. Richard Gere plays a political name-dropper and futile promise-maker expertly. Carries the film while in the pocket of other characters. Norman isn't especially visually exciting, but it's a film that makes a point about 'fixers' working across all cultures and industries. Norman isn't a film you'll be desperate to re-watch, but it's certainly worth your time and patience.
½ July 13, 2017
Once you're 10 minutes in it entrances you - not without a sublime Richard Gere lead.
July 13, 2017
Skjønte ikke bæret. Og da hjalp det heller ikke at det ikke var tekstet når de fra Israel snakket.
July 12, 2017
Richard Gere gives the performance of his career in this gritty realistic thriller.
July 11, 2017
This is a stylish, small-budget-looking film with a big-budget cast, and they transform a rather improbable story into a very fun film! Some inside jokes (Israelis may have more fun at this movie), and a bitter-sweet ending. Gere is brilliant!
July 5, 2017
Great movie thoroughly enjoyed it
July 4, 2017
Liked this movie a lot and then, a day later, after thinking about it a bit, came to an entirely different revelation about it. After that, decided it was brilliant! Richard Gere was amazing in portraying this wonderful character. I don't want to say too much, but think angel or bodhisattva or whatever. The clues are all there.
June 29, 2017
My favorite movie of the year - maybe even my favorite since Birdman. Exquisitely complex and compelling plot supported by superb acting, cinematography and music.
June 27, 2017
Clever movie. Was enjoyable. That's it.
June 26, 2017
Yes ,that's the reality. People like use other people for there own desire and the end ,the victim pay the price and the murder he celebrate his victory. This is the world,where we live now,how sad...
June 17, 2017
Wonderful plot, beautifully acted. I could feel the agony and torment experienced by Norman in his quest to succeed as a fixer.
½ June 15, 2017
I saw this movie a couple days ago called Norman. In it, former heartthrob Richard Gere plays the role of what I can best describe as a human LinkedIn. He connects people professionally and comes into play when an Israeli politician, for whom he bought really nice shoes, rises to prominence and makes the protagonist Norman an important figure in his Jewish community.
I will step forward and say that I'm not great at understanding financial talk and intricate political discussion, so the details of important plot points escaped me. That said, there is a Shakespearean quality to this story, what-with the inclusion of acts and a flawed character that evokes interest, disgust, intrigue, rage and sympathy. I haven't seen all of the Gere things, but here, he's delivering a delicious performance that's hard to forget. He totally transforms into this shady character that never seems to tell the truth. He's an enigma until the end, and while he's a character you should totally despise, you don't because
Gere's charisma and confidence makes him likeable.
Some performances in here are consistent and others are hot/cold. The Israeli prime minister isn't always on point, but I thought he killed it in this one monologue about compromise.
There are some cool visual depictions of characters talking to each other on the phone that gave this movie its own unique touch. However there is this talking heads scene that montages through a part of Norman's story that shows his rise, while everything that focuses on his fall and his tough beginnings is fleshed out. The pacing is also pretty strong. It doesn't really drag and it does keep you visually engaged throughout. There's also this character they introduce late that I thought was a clever inclusion.
Norman's not for everybody, and it's not really a feel good type of flick. But it's intriguing and worth rewatching.
½ June 14, 2017
Well Shot. Well acted. Likeable characters. Very good and very watchable. Not a "must see" but still worthwhile.