O Brother, Where Art Thou? Reviews

• Jul 19, 2022

84/100 -------------

84/100 -------------

• Apr 14, 2022

The soundtrack for this movie was amazing, completely supported the story, themes and setting. Absolutely amazing. The story was a little weak and boring at times, but the cinematography, comedy, characters and amazing music made it work phenomenally. It made me want to read the Odyssey, and it was just a great representation of old southern folk music. And of course considering the setting and source material, there was a major theme of religion. But unlike a lot of Christian movies, it used religion as a way for the characters to connect to their selves and their own morality instead of using religion as an end all, be all, or a way to demonize others. It actually critiques this idea, but in a way it's guilty of it as well. It elevates the story and the connection to the setting, a model of how religion should be used in film. Loved this movie, it was an amazing time. Highly recommend.

• Apr 07, 2022

I've loved the Coen brothers in the past, and this is supposed to be one of their classics, but it feels like this whole thing is an inside joke that I just don't get. There are loose allusions to the odyssey, but it doesn't tie it together. There were moments where the traditional Coen tone shone through, specifically through the the ridiculous dialogue, over the top story beats, and amazing soundtrack.

• Apr 02, 2022

Brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Mar 18, 2022

When I saw this on disney + on the musical section I got a little scared of watching it when my friend suggested it. But after watching I can confidently say I don't hate George Clooney anymore. Never mind. Just watched Batman & Robin. Anyway this movie just put a laughing smile on my face every time I see their confused faces. Also that review I saw about how this offbeat movie would appeal to teens. It did.

• Feb 19, 2022

So funny and sad at the same time, brilliant movie, cloney just knocks it out of the park

• Feb 02, 2022

After the wildly successful Fargo and The Big Lebowski, the Coen Brothers set the bar ridiculously high for their next film. While it's not at the same level is its predecessors, O Brother, Where Art Thou? is certainly a well-executed and entertaining follow-up. When Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) escapes from a chain gang with fellow prisoners Delmar (Tim Blake Nelson) and Pete (John Torturro), they embark on an episodic odyssey in search of spiritual salvation, personal redemption and, most importantly, a hidden treasure, at least according to Ulysses. The film is filled with interesting characters, quirky events and some brilliant dialogue, with a sepia-tinged Mississippi as the backdrop. While it may not be top-level Coen Brothers, it's certainly better than average and you can't go wrong with that.

• Jan 23, 2022

Wonderful acting by a very talented cast. Every aspect of this movie seems to have been done thoughtfully, from the story line, the amazing soundtrack, to the color palette chosen. Truly an enjoyable watch that holds up to revisiting.

• Jan 16, 2022

L'epopea dei tre protagonisti, con l'incredibile varietà di situazioni e di personaggi che completano una grande sceneggiatura, sono senz'altro i punti forti. Meno solidi sono i caratteri dei tre protagonisti; seppure George Clooney sia il protagonista designato, le sue peculiarità non convincono pienamente; così come i suoi due compagni di viaggio, troppo simili tra di loro. Fenomenale invece la colonna sonora che accompagna i personaggi nel loro viaggio; sicuramente il miglior aspetto del film, seppure anche la sceneggiatura è di alto livello. Anche un discreto uso della fotografia.

• Dec 21, 2021

Only the Coen Brother's could pull this movie off about a modern day Ulysses on a trip where weird things happen and only the Characters are just right for making merry, chalk another classic to the Coen Brother's!!!!