O Brother, Where Art Thou? Reviews

• 4d ago

The wonderfully autumnal aesthetic and a truly terrific, fun soundtrack couldn't save O Brother, Where Art Thou? from being annoying, strange and patchy in the typical Coen brothers fashion. This is yet another one of their episodic messes that never worked as a whole and the plot has no point to it whatsoever.

• Apr 13, 2021

This movie sucks! Some of my friends said to watch it. It’s completely ridiculous. All of their reactions to everything is really stupid. Nothing is funny about this film at all.

• Mar 05, 2021

This might just be The Coens' most playful movie. It's exhilaratingly fun to watch, hyperactive in its madness and highly expressionistic in its form. Right in the middle of their careers, when they were beginning to grow up and but still had their early infectious energy, the Coens craft this loose adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. O Brother, Where Art Thou? centers around George Clooney's Everett Ulysses (ahem) McGill, a 1930's Southern American bum with the gift of talking as he escapes his hard-labor sentence with his two trusty, not so bright, sidekicks, played by John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson. In their journey through the beautifully coloured plains of America they encounter numerous quirky characters, each one funnier than the previous, running from a deliciously one-sided villain reminiscent of the antagonist in Cool Hand Luke. Never has been The Great Depression showed as being so wacky, creative and fable-like and this is not only owed to the Coens but also to Roger Deakins' spectacular cinematography. He can truly shoot any genre and any style and make it look effortless and masterful. Despite the film's richness in symbolism and tongue-in-cheek, non-judgemental social commentary, some might say that it's not as heavy-hitting as the Coens' more serious works, and they might be right, but this does not come from a lack of substance, but from the choice of a simple form for the movie, a purely linear form fitting for a universal tale of coincidence and justice, a parable as old as time, as relevant now as it was when it was written.

• Jan 19, 2021

It was a fun movie that offers enough subtle symbolism to earn most viewers attention and interest.

• Jan 14, 2021

I'm a fan of the quick-paced, clever banter found in most of the Coen Brothers' movies, but the way the characters speak in O Brother, Where Art Thou? is particularly amusing. Heck, I reckon I would listen to a vinyl record of the dialogue in this movie if they made one. This film isn't for everyone—in fact, it's a pretty bizarre tale—but if you hop on board this train of peculiarities and simply enjoy the ride, I think you just might find the treasure you seek.

• Jan 07, 2021

Very inspiring, culturally eloquent, and does not stop to amaze spectator from start to the last sequence.

• Dec 27, 2020

Great soundtrack on an enjoyable adventure

Great soundtrack on an enjoyable adventure

• Dec 25, 2020

The movie is great. Acting is great. Music is phenomenal! It's a must watch.

The movie is great. Acting is great. Music is phenomenal! It's a must watch.

• Dec 24, 2020

I was mostly bored throughout the entire movie and kept wondering when the "comedy" part would show up.

• Dec 23, 2020

I actually remember watching this in high school. Directed by the Cohen Brothers and based upon Homer's timeless tale of the Odessy. George Clooney, John Tuturro, Tim Blake Nelson, John Goodman, and Holly Hunter. 3 escaped convicts make their way through 1930s Mississippi. Ulysses, Delmar, and Pete want their freedom and to make better lives for themselves. Ulysses in particular wants his wife and daughters back but she's marrying another man. He's not one to believe in divine intervention. But Pete and Delma have the utmost faith for miracles. The three of them travel all over running into KKK members, sirens (women who sing by seduction), all in search of buried treasure. There's many obstacles but they find a higher calling worth more than treasure. Some only believe the law is a human institution, some things are worth more than treasure, we can be saved if we choose to be, fate can be kind or it can be cruel, a journey of self-discovery and redemption can change anyone. Wonderful performances, a nifty soundtrack, great parallels to the Odyssey, and in my opinion is one of the more watchable entries by the Coen Brothers. Very worthy I gotta say.