Reviews

• Aug 06, 2021

Giving a sanatized look at life in the old west thats all hunky dory but life just wasn't like this, for example no toilet paper! For that reason alone I give Oklahoma a four star rating.

• May 22, 2021

This classic Broadway musical was alright. Gordon MacRae, Shirley Jones, Gene Nelson, Rod Steiger, Gloria Grahame, Charlotte Greenwood, and the rest of the cast did a decent job in this musical. The story of the movie was dramatic, tedious, and goofy. If you're into musicals, you'd probably enjoy this movie, but if you're not don't waste your time watching it. That's my opinion.

• Jan 22, 2021

Oklahoma! has a special place in my heart; I saw it with the family when I was just a kid, and the recording from the performance was always getting airtime in the car. Maybe that's why it took me a while to see that the actual source material is pretty rough, skating by on some rural charm, a few select tunes, and a general nostalgia (which is strange, given how older generations today idealize the actual time that the movie was released rather than that of the settin). The narrative and characters aren't much to commed Rodgers & Hammerstein for, lacking depth and often feeling uncompelling, and making the 2.5 hour runtime feel like twice that. There is a charm that occasionally shines through, particularly in the love triangle subplot with an unwilling particpant, but it comes in flashes, along with the quality of the songs and the consistency of the accents. That said, the dream sequence is actually pretty fascinating in comparison to the predictability of the rest of the film, and this adaptation does have a place in film history as the first real example of the 'roadshow' musical whose pattern would be copied for most of the next decade. But it still takes some resolve to get through, especially if your memory of the film might be somewhat idealized. (2.5/5)

• Nov 16, 2020

Before I could start this musical I was presented the choice of watching in Cinemascope or Todd AO, so after a brief ten minute cram session on the definition and merits of each I chose to give the Todd AO a go. I was enjoying this light, cotton candy fare with a bunch of recognizable and catchy numbers, like many other R & H productions, until I started getting restless sometime after the intermission. Zinnemann should be credited with making a really pretty and colorful looking film but sometimes the magnitude of the beauty in the scenery doesn't match the trite plot action. I did really enjoy a lot of the music overall and was actually surprised how much of it I was already familiar with. Tip of the cap to Mr. Kaufman for finally getting me to watch this. 6.5/10

• Sep 16, 2020

One of the great musicals of all time. I didn't know that this was independently made, but they did great things with the music, direction and acting. One of my favorites.

• Aug 18, 2020

Although its soundtrack is quite good with the opening number (Oh What a Beautiful Mornin') being the most entertaining standout, Oklahoma! is otherwise too slim in plot and weak in characters to make any difference in quality. The technicalities are great, but the runtime is excessive and the film is too silly and uninteresting in its overall storyline. It's an admirable attempt to mix to western and the musical, but certainly not a particularly successful one.

• Jul 21, 2020

The actors are fine but the entire thing is way too hokey for me.

The actors are fine but the entire thing is way too hokey for me.

• Jul 11, 2020

I enjoyed the musical numbers and the acting of an era of 50 & 60.

I enjoyed the musical numbers and the acting of an era of 50 & 60.

• May 07, 2020

There are elements in Oklahoma that I think could have turned me off if I saw it for the first time today, because I do tend to be a bit more critical of film now. The movie splits time between two different stories that don’t intersect enough to warrant them both being in the same film. I could see myself complaining that they needed to pick which was the A-story and find a way to roll that B-story more into the main plotline. Then there’s the 18-minute-long dream ballet that halts the movie in its tracks. These things can be difficult for me to accept, particularly when they don’t further the plot but only retell it. However, this wasn’t my first time watching Oklahoma, in fact it is a film I watched dozens of times growing up. I have a strong emotional attachment to Oklahoma and have come to accept these things as part of its charm. I love the cast and all the characters they play in Oklahoma. Gordon MacRae is a charming leading man who has a great big singing voice, and Shirley Jones can match him beat for beat. I love their playful courting, as they battle to see who will swallow their pride first and admit that they are in love. Gene Nelson and Gloria Grahame have a completely different tone to their relationship, which is a nice change of pace. They bring a lot of the comedy to the film which I enjoyed. Gloria Grahame’s strange speech pattern (apparently amplified by excessive plastic surgery) actually works to make a truly unique character that sounds so different from the characters she had been portraying in film noir up to that point. The rest of the cast is filled out with a number of other great actors including familiar names like Eddie Albert, Rod Steiger, and James Whitmore. What truly makes Oklahoma a great film, though, is the music. There are so many delightful songs in this film, and they don’t fall into the trap of each one sounding just like the others. Some are big grandiose ballads, some are more narrative, some are romantic, while others are just playful. In at least half of the songs there are lyrics that make me laugh, and there’s not one that I would take out of the film. I know each of these songs by heart and cannot stop myself from singing along, even when I was trying to just be an observer this time to look at the film as critically as possible. Then I find myself humming the tunes for days. I genuinely think that Oklahoma is wonderful, but it’s impossible to know how much nostalgia plays into that opinion, and I don’t really care. I can’t wait to watch it again!

• May 04, 2020

I remember liking Oklahoma more. However, watching this movie as an adult with my wife and kids was a different experience. This movie hasn't aged well. Some of the musical numbers go on a little long and some of the plot points are cringe-worthy. I still like it, but I don't think this will be a musical we watch regularly as a family.