Oscar and Lucinda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oscar and Lucinda Reviews

½ August 14, 2007
Sad to say, long, draggy and boring, in spite of the best efforts of the two accomplished leads.
½ August 10, 2007
Nice film. Very gentle. Ralph Fiennes is soooo sweet in this :@)
August 6, 2007
I haven't finished watching it as it looked ridiculous to me, but I will! In the meantime, it doesn't get more than 1 star.
½ August 4, 2007
Tragic love stories are the best, yay! (Well, not yay, but more like bawl...) A little-known film starring the wonderful Ralph and Cate, who both do marvelous jobs and have some terrific chemistry together. One of my most favorite screen kisses ever is in this film. The glass church at the end is both tragic and over-the-top and poetic and yet... completely fitting. Something so grand and beautiful and fragile: a representation of our dreams? Our lives?
July 30, 2007
Two of my fave actors, different twist in the plot.
July 29, 2007
A terrific and poignant film adaptation of one of my new favorite books. Fiennes and Blanchett prove unforgettable as does the cinematography and score. Tragic yet so good.
½ July 28, 2007
The book is much better...i don't entirely believe Ralph Fiennes is Oscar. But Gillian Armstrong does the book justice and i love our Cate.
July 21, 2007
The visuals, the music, the acting, the story...sigh. I can watch this movie endlessly. Maybe it's just my atheism biasing me, but I see it as a commentary on the psychological scars nutty religious upbringing leaves folks with. Poor Oscar.
½ July 14, 2007
Thsi movie indeed have a sad ending, but a good ovie in general; yet I didn't like the sexual content.
July 11, 2007
One of my favorite Fiennes films! A thousand times better than the book.
July 8, 2007
Peter Carey is an amazing writer, this was a fair adaption of the book.
July 4, 2007
Great drama. Blanchett and Fiennes are great as Oscar and Lucinda. A bit of a tragic end, so if you're looking for something happier...skip this one.
July 1, 2007
Ann absolutely fantastic movie - I could watch it a million times over and then watch it again. Fiennes and Blanchett are perfect and the story is exceptional. Brava!
½ June 30, 2007
This movie is great, its the ending that touches me most, ill-fated love ends in a dramatic and heart-warming manner.
June 29, 2007
Most of the imagery is spectucular in this film, especially the glass church. I was in this listless mood after I watched it, probably because I had hoped for a somewhat happy ending and not one decided by the moral choices of the characters. Both Fiennes and Blanchett are brilliant, but it lost its momentum for me.
June 27, 2007
Oscar and Lucinda is almost a remarkable film. Gillian Armstrong returns from Little Women territory with American money to film this version Peter Carey's award-winning book. All too often, films based on books are dismissed as being 'not as good as the book', with people foolishly comparing different artforms using the same criteria. Is Handel' s Messiah better or worse than the New Testament? Is my 'Bananas in Pyjamas' t-shirt as good as my beach ball? Why isn?t the novel The English Patient as boring as the film?

In Oscar and Lucinda, it?s easy to see the mistakes. Fearing the (inevitable) backlash from the literary crowd, the filmmakers have opted to include many minor characters, rather than focus their film on major figures (?I can?t believe they forgot the man-servant from chapter seventeen. Barbaric!?). Actors playing characters that ? in any other movie ? would be minor figures are constantly called upon to provide the emotional capital. The emotion thus resonates like a cotton ball dropped on a futon. There isn?t enough time to show us the background psychology, so it all floats to a cushioned touchdown.

Having said that, the title characters are expertly written and played. Both Ralph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett rise to the demands of a subtle and mannered piece, rich in eccentricity. Fiennes, in particular, is a revelation in a part that would surely have been frittered away by Hugh Grant a couple of years earlier. Thank God Ralph came along when he did. This is a better film than most, but there is an inescapable feeling of disappointment. Because with a little more filmic savvy, this could have been as good as 1985?s spectacular Carey adaptation Bliss.
June 16, 2007
i love ralph fiennes.
June 15, 2007
This was a pretty good adaptation of the book.
June 15, 2007
I really liked Fiennes' hair, and Cate Blanchett was lovely, as always. It was nice to see Fiennes in a role other than the scary bad guy. Also wonderful was the glass, the sea glass, the marbles, the bottles, and of course the church. Loved their bet, and I was so angry and outraged when he was raped, but it was all okay with that scene of Cate and the boy in the ocean.
½ June 14, 2007
The rating is simply because I really love this film and all its faults are overshadowed by Fiennes's spectacular turn.