Out of Africa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Africa Reviews

June 20, 2017
Certainly, there are too many good things in 'Out of Africa' to call it a bad film. Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are OK. But the film is so soft it's boring-it lacks vigor, strength, passion- everything that would make it attractive. Even the superb landscapes and score are not enough to fill its holes. Sydney Pollack's film touches our ears, our eyes, but not our hearts. And how boring...
May 10, 2017
Have to agree with most critics. I must say, though, the relationship of the two lovers was not portrayed to be that deep, especially if you consider the length of the film where it could have developed these ideas. Instead, the cinematography takes over for the most part to tell the story. This makes the plot and acting a little weak and flat.
May 6, 2017
Overall, a quite brilliant film. Stunning cinematography and winning performances from Streep and Redford. On the negative side, too long and slow moving.
½ May 4, 2017
I will say that visually this film has a lot going for it as the African scenery is nothing short of beautiful, but beyond that it's really quite bad. It's sappy enough to make you hurl, but the real problem is that it is just far too dull. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ March 2, 2017
This just personifies the word 'overstay'. The average acting and beautiful landscapes just gets so tiring 30 minutes in, and we're not even a quarter of the way through. Even if it was shorted and added a better soundtrack, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep just wouldn't be at their best.
The Academy just embarrassed themselves with this... this.. this.
½ February 28, 2017
It's so boring, I've never even been able to watch the whole thing. It's length and the fact that it won Best Picture over such classics as "The Color Purple" and "The Breakfast Club" (which wasn't even nominated) only adds insult to injury.
½ February 5, 2017
So slow I wanted it to be over before the opening credits were finished. A great story and decent acting spoiled by horrible paving!
August 28, 2016
A perfect cure for insomnia
August 3, 2016
Film yang puitik dengan sinematografi dan permainan akting menawan. Untuk beberapa pihak beberapa adegan terasa membosankan (bahkan buat saya) tapi impresi setelah filmny usi kan terus membekas
½ July 6, 2016
One of Sydney Pollack's most iconic films. Karen Blixen's story is certainly a beautiful one.
June 13, 2016
Boring love story about a Barons love and sex starved wife. Streep gives a great performance sure, but the movie as a whole is a disaster.
½ June 10, 2016
Tiresome due to its lenght and emotional distant due to its middling script, but with such a captivating lead as the talented Meryl Streep this overrated classic becomes tolerable.
March 24, 2016
Only watched an hour of it, not too exciting so far. Some symbolism.
½ March 5, 2016
A tremendous bore. She dragged me to see it.
½ February 12, 2016
Meh... Meryl Streep is great, as per usual, Redford it's not quite convincing in the africa nature lover role, and the romance is just not there, at all, it is actually quite boring. The photography is amazing, and the landascapes and everything, it is a well shot and well directed, kind of well written film (tough it is a bit tedious sometimes, and very sumptuous most of the time)... did it deserved 11 nominations and 7 oscar wins? I don't think so. Best film of 1985? hardly... for starters 1985 had the color purple, kiss of the spider woman, and prizzis honor nominated for best picture, it was also the year of Ran (kurosawa), Brazil, cocoon, back to the future, and the purple rose of cairo (not nominated for best picture, tough Ran is way better than any of the nominated choices, and Brazil is right next)... How in hell did this won best picture? it is not a bad film i can accept that, but a best picture??? no way in hell. Also Somehow, Sidney Pollack beat Kurosawa in best director for Ran... F***** you academy... f**** you....
½ February 9, 2016
I rate the sleep that I could have been having much higher than the movie I sacrificed it for.
January 10, 2016
Extremely boring. Good actors but dull movie overall.
½ December 15, 2015
IT'S A WONDERFUL MOVIE EVEN THOUGH IT IS OVERLONG AND NEEDS A GOOD EDITING, THE MUSIC IS WONDERFULAND IT WILL TOUCH YOUR HEART, ESPECIALLY ON THE CLIMATIC MOMENTS. mERYL sTREEP IS WONDERFUL AS WELL BUT i CAN'T SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT ROBERT REDFORD, WHO IS NOT WELL CAST AS THE FREE_SPIRITIED HUNTER FINCH HUTTON. tHE TECHICL ASPECTS OF THE MOVIE ARE GREAT (CINEMATOGRAPHY, COSTUM DESIGN, MUSIC, ART DIRECTION) WHICH ALL COME TOGETHER TO MAKE AN UNFORGETTABLE (ALBEIT UNCONVENTIONAL) LOVE STORY.
November 7, 2015
A passionate, lovely, lyrical masterpiece.
½ November 1, 2015
This is part of a dead breed of film, a lavish historical drama. Unlike other ones this film has heart, astounding cinematography, and creates a world that is lost but not overly romanticized. It is a tale of a strong woman who tries to love one unavailable man only to fall in love with another such soul. Contemporaries have been too hard on this one. I am almost compelled to wage a long campaign in its defense.