Out of Africa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Africa Reviews

September 19, 2017
Another gorgous classic, enriched with a terrific performance by Streep, and great performances by others, especially from the smaller part to smallest part cast.
½ September 2, 2017
It's a bit boring. I finally got all the way through it, and though there are some decent heartfelt moments, I was just a bit bored.
September 1, 2017
A film to marvel at brilliant acting skills and with a wonderful location, all with the knowledge of it being a true story, but its time length caused certain parts of the film to feel long and unnecessary.
August 13, 2017
This movie is so slow and the acting moves at a glacial pacing and how many blue screens do we have to look at. Thank God this movie is only 3 Hours long, In fact after sitting in the theater, I finally got up and went to see the 5 star Movie The Color Purple and boy am I glad I did that I swear I couldn't stop tearing up towards the end of the movie!
½ July 29, 2017
I just came here to ensure no one else sees this. Friends of mine and I were stuck in Puerto Rico while in uniform and on TDY. We ducked in here because of air conditioning. We walked out anyway. I cannot stress enough how unanimous a decision this was. Literally: physical distress was preferred to sitting through this thing.
June 30, 2017
Great acting and sense of time and place.
June 28, 2017
Certainly, there are too many good things in 'Out of Africa' to call it a bad film. Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are OK. But the film is so soft it's boring-it lacks vigor, strength, passion- everything that would make it attractive. Even the superb landscapes and score are not enough to fill its holes. Sydney Pollack's film touches our ears, our eyes, but not our hearts. And how long, how boring...
May 10, 2017
Have to agree with most critics. I must say, though, the relationship of the two lovers was not portrayed to be that deep, especially if you consider the length of the film where it could have developed these ideas. Instead, the cinematography takes over for the most part to tell the story. This makes the plot and acting a little weak and flat.
May 6, 2017
Overall, a quite brilliant film. Stunning cinematography and winning performances from Streep and Redford. On the negative side, too long and slow moving.
½ May 4, 2017
I will say that visually this film has a lot going for it as the African scenery is nothing short of beautiful, but beyond that it's really quite bad. It's sappy enough to make you hurl, but the real problem is that it is just far too dull. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ March 2, 2017
This just personifies the word 'overstay'. The average acting and beautiful landscapes just gets so tiring 30 minutes in, and we're not even a quarter of the way through. Even if it was shorted and added a better soundtrack, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep just wouldn't be at their best.
The Academy just embarrassed themselves with this... this.. this.
½ February 28, 2017
It's so boring, I've never even been able to watch the whole thing. It's length and the fact that it won Best Picture over such classics as "The Color Purple" and "The Breakfast Club" (which wasn't even nominated) only adds insult to injury.
½ February 5, 2017
So slow I wanted it to be over before the opening credits were finished. A great story and decent acting spoiled by horrible paving!
August 28, 2016
A perfect cure for insomnia
August 3, 2016
Film yang puitik dengan sinematografi dan permainan akting menawan. Untuk beberapa pihak beberapa adegan terasa membosankan (bahkan buat saya) tapi impresi setelah filmny usi kan terus membekas
½ July 6, 2016
One of Sydney Pollack's most iconic films. Karen Blixen's story is certainly a beautiful one.
June 13, 2016
Boring love story about a Barons love and sex starved wife. Streep gives a great performance sure, but the movie as a whole is a disaster.
½ June 10, 2016
Tiresome due to its lenght and emotional distant due to its middling script, but with such a captivating lead as the talented Meryl Streep this overrated classic becomes tolerable.
March 24, 2016
Only watched an hour of it, not too exciting so far. Some symbolism.
½ March 5, 2016
A tremendous bore. She dragged me to see it.