Out of Africa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Africa Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
One of Sydney Pollack's most iconic films. Karen Blixen's story is certainly a beautiful one.
June 13, 2016
Boring love story about a Barons love and sex starved wife. Streep gives a great performance sure, but the movie as a whole is a disaster.
½ June 10, 2016
Tiresome due to its lenght and emotional distant due to its middling script, but with such a captivating lead as the talented Meryl Streep this overrated classic becomes tolerable.
March 24, 2016
Only watched an hour of it, not too exciting so far. Some symbolism.
½ March 9, 2016
It's so boring, I've never even been able to watch the whole thing. It's length and the fact that it won Best Picture over such classics as "the Color Purple" and "The Breakfast Club" (which wasn't even nominated) only adds insult to injury.
½ March 5, 2016
A tremendous bore. She dragged me to see it.
½ February 12, 2016
Meh... Meryl Streep is great, as per usual, Redford it's not quite convincing in the africa nature lover role, and the romance is just not there, at all, it is actually quite boring. The photography is amazing, and the landascapes and everything, it is a well shot and well directed, kind of well written film (tough it is a bit tedious sometimes, and very sumptuous most of the time)... did it deserved 11 nominations and 7 oscar wins? I don't think so. Best film of 1985? hardly... for starters 1985 had the color purple, kiss of the spider woman, and prizzis honor nominated for best picture, it was also the year of Ran (kurosawa), Brazil, cocoon, back to the future, and the purple rose of cairo (not nominated for best picture, tough Ran is way better than any of the nominated choices, and Brazil is right next)... How in hell did this won best picture? it is not a bad film i can accept that, but a best picture??? no way in hell. Also Somehow, Sidney Pollack beat Kurosawa in best director for Ran... F***** you academy... f**** you....
½ February 9, 2016
I rate the sleep that I could have been having much higher than the movie I sacrificed it for.
January 10, 2016
Extremely boring. Good actors but dull movie overall.
½ December 15, 2015
IT'S A WONDERFUL MOVIE EVEN THOUGH IT IS OVERLONG AND NEEDS A GOOD EDITING, THE MUSIC IS WONDERFULAND IT WILL TOUCH YOUR HEART, ESPECIALLY ON THE CLIMATIC MOMENTS. mERYL sTREEP IS WONDERFUL AS WELL BUT i CAN'T SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT ROBERT REDFORD, WHO IS NOT WELL CAST AS THE FREE_SPIRITIED HUNTER FINCH HUTTON. tHE TECHICL ASPECTS OF THE MOVIE ARE GREAT (CINEMATOGRAPHY, COSTUM DESIGN, MUSIC, ART DIRECTION) WHICH ALL COME TOGETHER TO MAKE AN UNFORGETTABLE (ALBEIT UNCONVENTIONAL) LOVE STORY.
November 7, 2015
A passionate, lovely, lyrical masterpiece.
½ November 1, 2015
This is part of a dead breed of film, a lavish historical drama. Unlike other ones this film has heart, astounding cinematography, and creates a world that is lost but not overly romanticized. It is a tale of a strong woman who tries to love one unavailable man only to fall in love with another such soul. Contemporaries have been too hard on this one. I am almost compelled to wage a long campaign in its defense.
August 9, 2015
Sydney Pollack's Out of Africa is a well made film filled with strong performances and great cinematography, but it doesn't keep the viewer in any suspense. From the opening scene of an elderly bitter Streep you know that she is going to have to go through the typical Hollywood treatment of heartbreak. With all the positives the film has and it's exotic location, it still just doesn't take me in to really invest in any of the characters even after almost the three hour length.
July 16, 2015
These two actors are stellar. A story of passion and tragedy, one for the ages.
June 11, 2015
How anyone could rate this film lower than at least 4 stars is beyond me. This is a warm, well written, interesting & deeply romantic/sad film that can be watched again and again. Streep is absolutely phenomenal.
½ May 10, 2015
Out of Africa has magnificent cinematography, beautiful music and great scenery, but it is in the end a very mediocre film thanks to boring story, tedious characters, annoying Streep's accent and a lack of any energy and charm in its execution and direction. Consequently, it did not deserve Best Picture, it did not deserve any of its nominations beside the technical ones and it nowadays has the critics ratings it deserved to have at the very first place because it really is a mediocre film.
April 14, 2015
Great scenery,good acting - boring plot
½ March 29, 2015
Nothing overly spectacular, but Out of Africa boasts decent performances from Streep and Redford and impressive cinematography that helps pull it through
March 22, 2015
How Can I HAVE a fulHD MOVIE,out of AFRICAN
½ March 15, 2015
The plane scene with the Barry score is why you watch movies