Pain & Gain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pain & Gain Reviews

½ March 9, 2017
I was in Tyler, TX My Papaw and I wanted to watch an action movie. So we watched Pain and Gain. Man It was not what he and I expected it was one of those movies where we fell asleep because their was not alot of action. It is not worth using your time watching the Michael Bay Film.
March 8, 2017
rock is hilarious. if youre not sure he can act, watch this. he can.
February 8, 2017
I turned this off half way through, and cutting a movie short is something I only do in exceptional cases, and 'Pain & Gain' qualified by a country mile. Michael Bay whores out almost every scene to either violence or tastelessness 'humour' (but usually a combination of both), even in the more serious/darker scenes (torture, for example) which really ought not to have been furnished with such crude levity, given the content along with the fact that this story is based on true events that happened to real people.

It tries so desperately hard in every single scene to be funny when it isn't, unless your idea of humour is pre-pubescent, puerile, tasteless gags. We're all familiar with Michael Bay's trademark cut-and-editing at breakneck speed, and that slick style sometimes works for his more action orientated films, but not for what is supposed to be a black-comedy- fact-based-drama. The pacing is all over the place, and Bay simply doesn't have the capacity to let the characters and story have some breathing room to develop and unfold. He rushes everything from one ridiculous scene to the next, and I don't think I've seen it done to such a neurotic and appalling degree, even by this director's poor standards. Judging from what I've seen here, it would appear that the effects of steroid-mania affected not only the people upon which these characters are loosely based, but also Mister Bay.
January 30, 2017
don't even remember if i finished it
½ January 21, 2017
Pain and Gain flickers scenes of drugs, muscles, penises, vaginas, sex toys and bleeding to no end, although that doesn't mean I ever want this movie cleared away from my mind since Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne still have over-the-top acting that proves that they to no end glorify muscles, religion and motivation in order to steal from the spoiled rich. Pain and Gain is by far one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen in a while and a great break from having to watch movies where the filmmakers always make you cheer for the protagonists as dramatic heroes.
January 11, 2017
Buenas actuaciones, divertida pero totalmente violenta y sin buena dirección. Michael Bay nuevamente lo hace bien entreteniendo pero hace un mal trabajo dirigiendo a actores muy talentosos. Eso si la película es entretenida y divertida. Simplemente palomera.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 30, 2016
It's very half-and-half every time something good happens Michael Bay slaps you in the face with something retarded or cliched.
½ December 25, 2016
entertaining, fun, funny movie with an interesting story (2 viewings)
December 10, 2016
The plot was bizarre because this true story was bizarre. It stayed true to the actual events. I can't see how crooks can be so dumb about committing extravagant crimes without thinking them through fully!!!
jamrcla
½ December 7, 2016
A very different film to what I expected because the trailer made it seem like it was going to be a comedy/crime/action but what we got was crime/comedy that could of done with more action, Not to say it wasn't a bad film because it wasn't the story although over long was great and told well, Dwayne and Mark were great fun and played their parts well with some quite gruesome gory bits, It's an interesting very different film, It tries to be funny but 9 times out of 10 fails, I dont know how much of this true story was accurate but even if its half true its still pretty shocking, Could of been so much better if given to the right director, Stick to blockbusters please Michael Bay.
December 6, 2016
Having no expectations going into this movie, I thought it was surprisingly outrageous and hilarious. The cast all play well off each other, the characters are so dumb they are funny, and there's plenty of mindless Bay action.
November 13, 2016
Enjoyed this film. Plenty of comedy moments in a dark story. Good light and shade. Hard to believe it's anywhere close to a true story though.
½ October 21, 2016
Pain and Gain is a true story directed by Micheal Bay. First off let me start with this, the story is definitely interesting and worth SOME laughs, especially the bumbling around by the main characters as they try to cover up their crimes, and I was really into the beginning of this movie. However, I'm not sure a full-blown comedy was the way to go. If this was somehow a fake story, I'd be more comfortable laughing at some scenes, but it felt really uncomfortable finding some humor in some pretty messed up shit these guys did. I believe a much better route would to go through the eyes of Ed Woods character, and maybe splice some scenes of the three 'antiheros' here and there instead. I think this is a better direction because none of the main characters that were in the story were really that likable, and even though they were taking on jerks, that really didn't compensate for the fact that they didn't do anything to them to deserve the treatment they got. The one likable character that I had fun with was The Rocks character, but it was mostly because he was so stupid. I definitely had a few good laughs here, there is no denying it, but it didn't make up for the fact that the movie dragged on in that Micheal Bay sort of way, and a lot of it was pretty conflicting because this stuff really happened, and there was some fuck up shit I wasn't sure I should've been laughing at. Even though Pain and Gain has is positives, and the story is there for a good movie, I really had a hard time sitting though this without wanting to punch Mark Wahlberg and Anthony Mackie in the face
½ September 27, 2016
I still don't know if I was supposed to be rooting for these criminals throughout this overlong film
½ September 17, 2016
It is a shame that this films fails with such a solid cast and chemistry. I personally think the true story just wasn't that good to begin with.
½ September 6, 2016
What an annoying movie!
September 5, 2016
Possibly Michael Bay's worst film to date, and that's saying something
August 27, 2016
It was a very solid film for what it was: 3 muscleheads who were amateurs pulling off crimes and murder. The Rock was without a doubt the best part of the film.