Pain & Gain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pain & Gain Reviews

August 29, 2017
This movie is for people who love dumb comedy, action, sexiness, and more dumb comedy. Rewatch value is off the charts.
August 29, 2017
Pain & Gain honestly has too many flaws to name, but for some reason I think this is a pleasure to watch. It can be extremely funny and entertaining. Especially if you are into fitness than this movie is for you.
August 27, 2017
Seriously real life? Wow. $8.50
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 It has some good laughs, nice pace. Very light overall, but the true story behind it gives it a certain appeal.
August 19, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we just saw Pain & Gain. Remarkably, the film is based on a true story. I m sure you ll agree that the characters in this movie are not exactly heroes.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Not at all. We meet Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) who is a bodybuilder with a past. He gets a job helping the rich get fit. Lugo believes that letting yourself go is just unpatriotic. He determines that the only fair thing to do is to take the belongings of weakling and local Schlotsky s owner Victor Krenshaw (Tony Shaloub).

SCOTT: Lugo and his two sidekicks, Adrian (Anthony Mackie) and Paul (Dwayne Johnson), kidnap Krenshaw and torture him into signing over all his assets to them. We witness criminal behavior at its dumbest level, as our trio of crooks make several inept, Three-Stooges-like attempts to kill Krenshaw. They fail and Krenshaw escapes, setting in motion a police investigation that soon leads to the trio s undoing.

GREG: Scott, at first I thought director Michael Bay was setting up the three leads as anti-heroes, hitting back at the rich elite. But in fact, Lugo and his friends are just stupid. They have bought into the get-rich schemes of Asian telemarketer Johnny Wu (Ken Jeong) who preaches that most people are don t-ers and only the successful are doers. By the time we get to the halfway point we realize that our heroes are in fact villains and the rest of the movie is testament to both their stupidity and ruthlessness.

SCOTT: Yes, this is one of the very few movies that is clearly a villain story, not a hero story. Most movies with villains as lead characters attempt to portray those characters sympathetically, or at least endow those characters with enough heroic traits that we root for them to evade the authorities. I m thinking of The Sting, Catch Me if You Can, and 3:10 to Yuma. But in Pain & Gain, the lead characters of Lugo, Adrian, and Paul are clearly depicted as ruthless thugs and we definitely want them captured, despite the fact that we re entertained (somewhat) by their atrocities.

GREG: In fact, the further into the film we get the worse their sins. And we are reminded through freeze-frames that this is a true story, which makes it all the more repugnant. I was disgusted at the depths of their villainy and how their ineptitude and naivety drove them deeper and deeper into dark behavior. I was mesmerized by this film. The only thing that kept me glued to the big screen was the promise that this was a true story. Otherwise I would have thought it was merely an attempt at gross humor. The villains were buffoonish, especially the character of Paul who was a born-again Christian but still has no trouble roasting body parts. I give the movie 3 out of 5 Reels for entertaining me with an otherwise unbelievable story. I can t give them a Hero rating since these are clearly not Heroes, so I give them 3 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villain:

SCOTT: As a villain story, the movie is effective in portraying all the elements of the hero story operating in reverse. If this were a traditional hero story, Victor Krenshaw would serve as a father figure to Lugo, but in this film the father is a jerk and has no influence on Lugo other than to incite him. And in a normal hero story, Johnny Wu s recipe for success would make him a positive mentor, but here Wu s advice is used for evil purposes rather than for good. The one man blocking Lugo s main goal is the investigator, Ed DuBois (Ed Harris), whom we d normally call a villain for opposing the lead character, but in this topsy-turvy movie DuBois is the hero. So we have a movie that is a mirror-image of the classic hero s journey. It s well done. We even have a transformation, albeit in the wrong direction, as Lugo is transformed from a loser who is simply motivated by greed into a blood-thirsty monster. I give the villain a rating of 4 out of 5. The movie itself is Rock solid (pardon the pun). As viewers we can t help but be fascinated, and disgusted, by the knowledge that it is a true story. Like you, Greg, I d dismiss this film if it were fiction, but its factual basis makes it disturbingly unforgettable. I agree that Pain & Gain earns 3 Reels out of 5. Movie: Villain:

GREG:
½ July 29, 2017
I was surprised to see all of the negative reviews of this movie, but I guess the humor in it probably turns a lot of people off. It is very crude and if you're looking at the true story this movie is based on, it's really disgusting and not something to laugh at. That being said, this is a movie and is meant to entertain. So regardless of the heinous facts surrounding the real case, the way they are portrayed in this movie was absolutely entertaining. I'm not sure I have ever seen a movie so funny. I've seen a lot of Wahlberg movies and I've always been a fan of his work so I already knew he wouldn't disappoint. But I found that I really loved the other two leads as well and I never knew Dwayne Johnson was so hilarious. These guys are so ridiculous that you can't help but wonder which parts were true to the story. This is a must watch for anyone who loves black comedy or crime stories. It's not for kids or grandma though lol. I don't know much about Michael Bay but So far I am impressed and my face hurts from laughing!!!
½ July 10, 2017
Pain and Gain flickers scenes of drugs, muscles, penises, vaginas, sex toys and bleeding to no end, although that doesn't mean I ever want this movie cleared away from my mind since Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne still have over-the-top acting that proves that they to no end glorify muscles, religion and motivation in order to steal from the spoiled rich. Pain and Gain is by far one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen in a while and a great break from having to watch movies where the filmmakers always make you cheer for the protagonists as dramatic heroes.
July 5, 2017
Pain & Gain is another under rated movie, that was a true story. This is by far Michael Bays best film after Transformers 1 & 3.
½ June 25, 2017
Instant classic. Thank you Michael Bay!
June 17, 2017
What a sick movie ?!?!?! Its really hard to believe that this really happened in real life.
½ June 17, 2017
Sono sicuro che si siano spinti un po' troppo oltre a raccontare questa incredibile storia vera, che anche se non conosco mi sembra sia stata un po' pompata tanto quanto i protagonisti. Il film ha il classico stile alla Michael Bay, che manifesta tutta la sua presenza lungo tutta la sua durata. In questo caso però non eccede, rimane coerente con il tema narrato, riuscendo a creare un'atmosfera davvero surreale. Alcune scene sono decisamente troppo spinte e altre hanno dialoghi irrealistici, ma per il resto il black humour e il sarcasmo vengono sfruttati alla perfezione per raccontare una storia che ha dell'incredibile.
May 6, 2017
Pain and gain tells the story of three weight lifters willing to do anything to become rich and a somebody. This eventually causes them to rob a millionaire for everything hes got. This film gradually unwinds and opens up with more insanity with increasingly hilarious outcomes. You would not believe this was a michael bay film as it was pretty well shot and the script seemed to flow well. Dwayne johnson, mark whalberg and anthony mackie all steal the show in this comedy crime caper.
½ May 6, 2017
Can't really explain what this movie was about because there was no apparent structure (or effort) put into it, but, whatever it was, it was bad.
½ March 9, 2017
I was in Tyler, TX My Papaw and I wanted to watch an action movie. So we watched Pain and Gain. Man It was not what he and I expected it was one of those movies where we fell asleep because their was not alot of action. It is not worth using your time watching the Michael Bay Film.
March 8, 2017
rock is hilarious. if youre not sure he can act, watch this. he can.
February 8, 2017
I turned this off half way through, and cutting a movie short is something I only do in exceptional cases, and 'Pain & Gain' qualified by a country mile. Michael Bay whores out almost every scene to either violence or tastelessness 'humour' (but usually a combination of both), even in the more serious/darker scenes (torture, for example) which really ought not to have been furnished with such crude levity, given the content along with the fact that this story is based on true events that happened to real people.

It tries so desperately hard in every single scene to be funny when it isn't, unless your idea of humour is pre-pubescent, puerile, tasteless gags. We're all familiar with Michael Bay's trademark cut-and-editing at breakneck speed, and that slick style sometimes works for his more action orientated films, but not for what is supposed to be a black-comedy- fact-based-drama. The pacing is all over the place, and Bay simply doesn't have the capacity to let the characters and story have some breathing room to develop and unfold. He rushes everything from one ridiculous scene to the next, and I don't think I've seen it done to such a neurotic and appalling degree, even by this director's poor standards. Judging from what I've seen here, it would appear that the effects of steroid-mania affected not only the people upon which these characters are loosely based, but also Mister Bay.
January 30, 2017
don't even remember if i finished it
January 11, 2017
Buenas actuaciones, divertida pero totalmente violenta y sin buena dirección. Michael Bay nuevamente lo hace bien entreteniendo pero hace un mal trabajo dirigiendo a actores muy talentosos. Eso si la película es entretenida y divertida. Simplemente palomera.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 30, 2016
It's very half-and-half every time something good happens Michael Bay slaps you in the face with something retarded or cliched.