Paranormal Activity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Activity Reviews

½ July 4, 2017
Before the franchise was exploited to Hell and back, this film is the best out of the bunch and draws out the fear by what's unseen.
½ July 1, 2017
This is such a weak, not scary, absolute failure that it's insulting to even call it a horror movie. Threadbare plot, terrible acting, cliched, predictable, and had a stupid ending. One of my friends who went to the theater to see it with me literally fell asleep. This isn't a horror movie, it's just boring.
½ July 1, 2017
Though the first act is a bit slow, the rest is pretty creepy and it does a good job at building up the anxiety and then bursting in the final scene.
½ May 17, 2017
I have to say that I'm quite disappointed after all highly positive feedback from critics. I'd been scared and avoided to watch this movie for several years until I made up my mind to finish it today and found out that it isn't that scared as highly praised. I did expect a lot more haunting feeling. After watching it I am confident that I am still able to go to toilet in the middle of the night alone by myself without feeling anything.
May 4, 2017
OUTRO FILME QUE NÃO COLOCARIA ENTRE OS MELHORES.
½ April 29, 2017
I've always been a sucker for found footage films, and I've done a good job not over-saturating myself with awful ones, so I don't feel that every one I've seen is just the same. Tension creeps into the first night scene of this film and stays with you until the frightening end. Paranormal Activity did exactly what a film like this should do, and that is let the silence and anticipation of seeing something jump out scare its audience to death without having all that many scenes where things happen, but let the tension rise in the scenes with the characters simply talking to one another. My biggest negative about this film is the guy character was probably the worst and dumbest person in the film, and if it wasn't for him then I don't believe the spirit would have escalated its activities.
½ March 25, 2017
Not as scary as it is hyped to be, but it's still watchable
½ March 5, 2017
This move proves people are stupid enough to view any movie based on marketing. One of my friends bought this film and made me watch 1 and 4. I have lost all respect for this friend's options on movies and anything in general.
½ February 27, 2017
interesting concept. slow paced.
February 21, 2017
A true marksmanship of how found-footage films should be written.

Katie (Katie Featherson) and Micah (Micah Sloat) are a twentysomething couple who've just moved into a new home in San Diego, CA. Katie has an interest in the paranormal and believes that malevolent spirits have been following her since childhood, though Micah is not so easily convinced. However, after several nights of loud noises and strange happenings, Micah starts to agree with Katie that some sort of ghost may have followed them to the new home. After a paranormal researcher tells the couple he can't help them, Micah decides to take control of the situation and sets up a battery of video cameras so that if a spirit manifests itself, he can capture its behavior on tape.

The found-footage genre is one of the easiest genres to enter a film into nowadays, making it one of the most saturated, overused, and dullest markets out there. But it's so successful for a reason, and that success can be traced back years ago to "The Blair Witch Project". However, I believe that this film is the film that really took the reigns of the found-footage genre and made it something real.

The marketing for this film was genius. The way they advertised this film and distributed it was so clever that it captured the attention of many and deceived audiences everywhere. No one really knew the truth behind this film and it was one of the scariest films of the year. This film feels so real and so genuine and like I said, this is what found-footage films should be like.

This is literally one of the highest profit-margins for a film in the history of ever. This film took a low budget and created a realistic, disturbing flick that captured the hearts of many.

The acting in this film and the screenplay were very well done. It feels like we're on this journey with a real couple and that's what makes it scarier. The fact that we can relate to everything makes this film even more scary. We all fear that we may get tormented in our safe place (sleep), and that's exactly what happens here. The movie gets into your mind and sticks there.

The film is suspenseful, scary, and smart. I wish the following films in the franchise were just as good, however, I hope that the found-footage genre can find the spark that this film once had in order to brighten the future of horror.
January 22, 2017
After hearing so many people say this film was legit creepy I decided to cave and see for myself. Despite realizing in the first few moments of the 'movie' that it was going to be shot like Quarantine I forced myself to endure. I wish I hadn't. Not only was it NOT scary in the least bit, but the main character grated on my nerves to the point of inducing a migraine.

You would think she would be over the stair creaking, door moving "demon" if it's been happening to her since she was eight, but no. She needed to get eaten.
½ January 7, 2017
depopulated horror for the innovative method to create a new type of mockumentary
½ December 28, 2016
The ending partially redeemed it to be a 1.5/10, but this movie still is terrible. I loved The River, it's in my top 25 shows of all time, and I want to own it! This was poorly acted, directed, and written. The cinematography as well as camera is terrible. The production value was atrocious, but I understand with a $15,000 budget. I guess because I don't find the premise, or how they're executing it, scary, could be the reason I don't like this, but I was extremely open minded, especially with an 83%!
December 25, 2016
What I got to say about "Paranormal Activity" is one of the most scariest found footage horror movie I have ever seen. "It's hand down terrifying, spine-tingling chills and jaw dropping!" The performances by the two leads are felt so real and authentic. The directing and screenplay by Oren Peli is perfection. The cinematography in this was pretty good. The chronography is good. The score is spooky good. Finally, the effects are really great. "I'm raving that "Paranormal Activity" is a relentless suspenseful, independent tale of supernatural horror that will have you on the edge of your seat plus gasping for air! - A definitely must see film!"
December 20, 2016
The idea may be interesting even if totally unoriginal, while the story is developed well in a careful pace. Still, the movie feels like a mere silly trick to scare the audience and nothing else, even if it isn't scary or intriguing.
½ December 17, 2016
What's more terrifying than imagining the unthinkable? This movie makes the audience sit in front of the credits wondering why they are feeling so shaky.
November 30, 2016
I do have to say that for a minuscule $15,000, it's impressive, but still, there are a lot of super boring and long scenes in this movie and the shaky camera will fucking give you head pains. The scares, especially during the last 5 minutes, are indeed disturbing, and the acting is very believable. Overall, it's alright, but it's not a great move either, it's just okay.
November 25, 2016
Good scares, made me scream so loud it scared my gf. Could have better acting though.
November 12, 2016
This was the worst movie I have ever seen. It was a total waste of time. The whole movie was just about a couple fighting. Sure there were a few demon like things, but nothing that is scary. The only way I would see this again is if I wanted to go to sleep.
½ November 5, 2016
Though the first act is a bit slow, the rest is pretty creepy and it does a good job at building the anxiety and then bursting in the final scene.