Paranormal Activity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Activity Reviews

May 19, 2018
Eine kleine Perle des Horrorfilms ist Oren Peli hier gelungen. Ganz in der Tradition von Blair Witch Projekt wird dem Zuschauer auch hier suggeriert, er schaue gefundes Filmmaterial. Dieses Subgenre des Found Footage ist spätestens seit dem oben genannten Blair Witch Projekt ein fester Bestandteil des Horrorfilmgenres.
Der mit 10000 $ äußerst günstig gedrehte Film spielt hauptsächlich im Haus von Katie und Micah. Katie, die sich schon in ihrer Kindheit von Dämonen verfolgt fühlte und Micah, der aus diesem Grund die Videokameras erwarb, um dem Mysterium auf den Grund zu gehen.
Dabei läuft es darauf hinaus, dass Micah und Katie tagsüber das Filmmaterial analysieren und eben nachts die Kamera im Nachtsichtmodus die Geschehnisse im Haus filmt: Mal bewegt sich die Schlafzimmertür, die das Paar stets offen lässt, dann wieder nimmt ein Tonbandgerät Geräusche auf, die nach näher kommenden Schritten klingen.
Die sich entwickelnde Dramaturgie funktioniert deshalb, weil die Figuren sehr natürlich miteinander umgehen und man so auch genreübliche Fehler in der inneren Logik übersieht, wie die grundsätzliche Fragen, warum sie nicht fliehen.
Alles in allem funktioniert der Film durch die Kraft der Suggestion und dem natürlichen Spiel der Darsteller..
May 19, 2018
½ March 28, 2018
I'll shamelessly admit that when films of this Blair Witch-style work they scare me. And scare me this film did spectacularly!
November 12, 2017
Good low-budget horror project. The style of which the film was made isn't that professional, but the raw-like material makes it seem all the more intimidating.
½ October 30, 2017
interesting and good usage of minimum budget, but not my type of a movie
½ October 22, 2017
Most boring movie you'll ever see in your lifetime. The perfect cure for insomnia.
½ October 16, 2017
This had to have been one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. First night and you stay, duh..... Just plain dumb.
October 10, 2017
A fantastic way to waste your time. Yes, it's a slow build up... to scares that might spook my grandmother if she was high out of her mind. The critics seem to enjoy the fact that it's not gory, so there's that. Watch it with your kids, I guarantee they will marvel at the door that moves itself. Behold at the unseen enemy that possesses ladies to enjoy fresh air... WooOOOoooh! Gasp at the horrible shenanigans as the self moving door slams instead of shuts and the phantasm mixes it up with some human floor sweeping. SCARY!!! BOO!!! No, like boo this over-hyped garbage fest movie. Booooo!!!
October 7, 2017
This is well-made and Katie Featherston gives a good performance.
October 1, 2017
I had been waiting ages to re-watch Paranormal Activity for ages, when it was first released me and my best friend at the time was in a massive horror movie kick, we watched this religiously.

Watching from certain camera angles gives the film a great chill factor. Personally the footsteps are the best bit, hearing things running across the hall/downstairs and then when they actually see a footprint, makes for a great horror. I find that Insidious and Paranormal Activity are compared alot because of the sub-genre they both reside in. Insidious definitely has scarier moments but paranormal is more consistent with theirs plus the story is more gripping.

When a film has such a small cast good acting is required even more, not to say the acting is superb but its believable enough to make this film be rated for what it is without acting being a factor.

Working with the budget they had, they did a superb job. It's definitely a step in the right direction for found footage films, although as the sequels go on they get worse and worse, which to be fair is normal for horror movies. They're just trying to squeeze every pound they can out of it now.

I'd say it should be on any film buffs watch list, it does something different to other horrors, the found footage aspect makes it seem real.
September 23, 2017
Paranormal Activity, originally shot in 2006, didn't get a mainstream release until October of 2009 when Paramount Pictures bought the film. Paranormal Activity is an interesting movie, now although most people know the series today as the shaky, found footage film, that is about ghosts and demonic possessions, without ever actually showing it, the series started from humble beginnings. The first couple entries had to be demanded for, if Paranormal Activity wasn't playing at your local theatre you had to visit a website and ask for it to be played there, it was almost like a crowd funded movie before sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo were a thing. Made for around $15,000 and shot entirely in director's, Oren Peli's house, Paranormal Activity tells the story of Katie and Micah, a young couple living together who find themselves experiencing nightly disturbances for inexplicable reasons.

One word that could sum not just this film, but the series as whole, is polarizing. As the first Paranormal Activity was growing in popularity, the film was heavily advertised as one of the scariest movies of all time, that in and of itself creates false pretence as it couldn't be farther from the truth. I do not consider myself much of a believer in the paranormal, so that may have tampered my experience with the film, nevertheless I can understand why someone would be frightened by this movie, however it is definitely not a horrific movie. It's totally easy to see why many people are so divided about this series, one side views the movies as a realistic depiction of paranormal occurrences and the other just sees a bunch of people shaking a camera around and slamming doors for an hour and a half. I consider pretty neutral with the issue, there are moments where certain events do get under my skin, however thinking back to it I realize how stupid it is.

Now the first Paranormal Activity movie plays out almost like a psychological thriller, a lot is left up the imagination and you see the effect of the events taking a toll on the characters. There isn't a lot that happens in the movie, the viewer is basically confined to the house for the entire runtime and you do a lot of analyzing, asking yourself "is that shadowy figure, or is it my imagination?", "did that lamp just move or am I going insane?", and this is probably where my biggest issue arises from. I've seen Paranormal Activity a handful of times, and each viewingI keep a careful eye trying to see if I can pick up on any background things, however every time, I come up with nothing. For a movie that heavily relies on the viewer examining what's going on, there just isn't a lot there. You'd think that with a movie about a ghostly haunting that features these long drawn out scenes, the filmmakers would include subtle activity in the background to create even more of a frightening experience. Sadly they don't, and everything you get is at face value. Other problems that face the movie are, the acting, slow scenes, badly improvised dialogue, odd cuts, etc, most of these issues are constricted to the screenplay and low budget, so some of it is forgivable.

Overall Paranormal Activity isn't a horrible film by any stretch of the imagination, it's easy to see both sides of the argument, however I lean more towards it being a pretty decent time. It's a watchable film that does have some good scenes of intensity, particularly the hallway scene where Micah uses baby powder, that was definitely an effective sequence that did get under my skin. As with most films it isn't perfect and it's not something I can recommend to everybody, you have to know what you're getting yourself into and although I was never frightened by it, I do enjoy watching this movie from time-to-time, so for the reason I'm giving Paranormal Activity a 6/10.
September 23, 2017
Filled with suspense and with an intense atmosphere, Paranormal Activity is a medium quality found footage, since altough it has an interesting cast, it can not be said to be something groundbreaking or a non-superficial story within the horror genre.
September 8, 2017
There isn't a movie out there that can't possibly scare you more than this film can, so to say "it's the scariest film of all time" is not a bit of a stretch at all. The buildup is all there [straightaway] keeping the level of interest at its peak until the moment comes jumping at a glance that'll give you an unnatural tensely shock - most directors will be asking themselves how in the world Oren Peli did that?

What's really scary is if it wasn't for Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat's continuity that made their performance a frontrunner for the audience, the rest of the film may not have been so successful as it is today.
September 5, 2017
Nothing special. Boyfriend is a douche
½ July 4, 2017
Before the franchise was exploited to Hell and back, this film is the best out of the bunch and draws out the fear by what's unseen.
½ July 1, 2017
This is such a weak, not scary, absolute failure that it's insulting to even call it a horror movie. Threadbare plot, terrible acting, cliched, predictable, and had a stupid ending. One of my friends who went to the theater to see it with me literally fell asleep. This isn't a horror movie, it's just boring.
½ July 1, 2017
Though the first act is a bit slow, the rest is pretty creepy and it does a good job at building up the anxiety and then bursting in the final scene.
½ May 17, 2017
I have to say that I'm quite disappointed after all highly positive feedback from critics. I'd been scared and avoided to watch this movie for several years until I made up my mind to finish it today and found out that it isn't that scared as highly praised. I did expect a lot more haunting feeling. After watching it I am confident that I am still able to go to toilet in the middle of the night alone by myself without feeling anything.
May 4, 2017
OUTRO FILME QUE NÃO COLOCARIA ENTRE OS MELHORES.
½ April 29, 2017
I've always been a sucker for found footage films, and I've done a good job not over-saturating myself with awful ones, so I don't feel that every one I've seen is just the same. Tension creeps into the first night scene of this film and stays with you until the frightening end. Paranormal Activity did exactly what a film like this should do, and that is let the silence and anticipation of seeing something jump out scare its audience to death without having all that many scenes where things happen, but let the tension rise in the scenes with the characters simply talking to one another. My biggest negative about this film is the guy character was probably the worst and dumbest person in the film, and if it wasn't for him then I don't believe the spirit would have escalated its activities.