Paranormal Activity 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Activity 3 Reviews

October 8, 2016
This is marginally better than the last one thanks to having more scares and better characters.
October 3, 2016
Saw the first one but not the second one. Third one looks scary.
October 3, 2016
Not totally scary but still funny and enjoyable to watch.
½ September 15, 2016
Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)
Starring:Lauren Bittner, Christopher Nicholas Smith,Chloe Csengery, Jessica Tyler Brown, Hallie Foote, Dustin Ingram, Johanna Braddy, Katie Featherston, Brian Boland, and Sprague Grayden
Directed by Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman
I'm not doing it,nope not this time, oh heck no not another, nope not doing it this time, no I'm not watching another Paranormal activity movie ever again their stupid. Wait hold up what do you mean this one's good, what do you mean the characters aren't morons, what do you mean it has genuine scares? Oh wait it really does.
Hello kiddies your pal the crypt-critic is back with some serious and bizarre stuff going on in your bed There is something you should know I do not like the first two installments in this franchise in fact I hate them a lot. I hated them both with a passion, I found them extremely boring, uneventful wastes of my time but what grind my gutters the most about them was that the supposed demon haunting this family did nothing remotely frightening to them. It opened and closed doors, moved bed sheets around and a pool cleaner was possessed in the second film. A pool cleaner kiddies a freaking pool cleaner that's pretty stupid and pretty much it. Those films were boring, tedious, repetitive throughout their run time. A friend of mine said he saw four on xbox and said I should watch it cause of how stupid it was but I could not watch it cause I had yet to see three so I just saw and uttered four words I never thought I'd say about a paranormal activity film. "That was freaking creepy."
Paranormal Activity 3 is surprisingly a good movie. Like I said before kiddies I hated the first two movies but this film finally got the concept of a paranormal entity right. This time were watching footage from the 80's as we see the sisters from the first two films as little girls living with their mother and step-father. The younger sister Kristie starts interacting with her invisible friend Tobey who as it turns out is the demon from the first two films. Pretty soon they all find themselves being terrorized by Tobey who wants something that won't be revealed until the end.
Now of course it's simple like the first two films which I really don't mind but the directors behind this one manage to pace the film in a good manner, not too good I was kind of bored until more things with the little girls started happening but the tension actually worked. Now remember how I said in the first two films the demon barely did anything, in this film this mother hubber gets violent. He's hanging people by their necks, throwing stuff across the room, launching the furniture everywhere. As this takes place before the first two films you can only assume Tobey lost his confidence or got bored in his old age. This demon actually does stuff in this movie, and after the first thirty minutes his presence is throughout the film. There are scenes were you are waiting for things to happen but when things start happening the movie starts booming.
The characters and actors in the first two movies annoyed the heck out of me, I hated them. I didn't like them, I didn't find them interesting, nor did they do anything to pull me into those movies. When the Kristy starts talking to Tobey in the film the step-father is confused but the mother says she does stuff like this all time. Having a step-father who is new to dealing with these little girls was a smart idea and making him a filmmaker was also a smart idea cause now your giving this character a reason to set up all these cameras inside the house and carry a camera everywhere, for once that concept doesn't feel forced upon the audience or the film. But the best acting in this film are little girls who play Kristy and Katie, they act like a young and older sister would act it all feels genuine and felt like I was watching real life while as in the first two films I knew I was watching actors attempting to be scared at stuff that isn't scary. I think the main the main reason I enjoyed this movies is the same reason I enjoyed Transformers:Dark of the moon where as dark of the moon gave me the decepticon takeover I always wanted in the first two terrible transformer films, Paranormal activity 3 gave the scary entity I've been wanting to see for two movies. Now the demon is actually a threat on screen, he's no longer up randomly moving bed sheets, closing doors or possessing freaking pool cleaners! He's getting violent, causing pain, he's scary, he's more interesting now.
Paranormal Activity 3 is the first film in this franchise to not be bore me to my freaking core. It has genuine scares, good characters, and it is a found footage horror film that is actually very good, I'm giving this a three and a half out of five.
August 16, 2016
Que bom que 'Atividade Paranormal 3' renova nos sustos e cria mistério na abordagem do desconhecido mantendo a já conhecida linguagem, além de utilizar técnicas criativas (a câmera no ventilador, por exemplo) para intensificar o que já é tenso por si só. A franquia, neste terceiro ato, já não afeta na hora de dormir, mas durante a projeção é o que mais assusta. Depois de Insidious, o melhor horror do ano.
August 7, 2016
This movie is good if you are a fan. If you have seen both 1 and 2, this is not as scary. Every moment of horror and suspense is really easy to spot. This was definitely a funny movie also.
½ August 2, 2016
Probably my least favourite of the first 4 movies in the series, the idea was good in going back to the past, but with plot flaws and twists which are all too familiar, it just feels like a rehash.
Verdict: C
July 30, 2016
Good film scary in parts but it's the same as the previous 2 the odd thing happens in the first hour then everything happens at once at the end, And again it's a prequel but even further back in time, On the whole a pretty good horror film.
½ July 7, 2016
Wonderful prequel and in my opinion, a little bit better than the first. Deals with witchcraft, adding to the demonic folklore started in the first.
June 28, 2016
this looks better than the other 2
½ June 28, 2016
In 2007, Katie and Kristi were haunted by a terrifying spirit from their past. Now, tapes of their childhood have been discovered that reveal their first encounter with the evil entity. Like the first two films, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 is a long and drawn out waiting game that has very little story to tell in between its shocks and surprises. The characters are none more convincing or likable, and even the little girls are painted as minor annoyances. With enough patience, however, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 provides some of the most frightening moments the series has to offer. It is always more unnerving when children become involved in the supernatural, and CATFISH directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman play this up for all it is worth. Writer Christopher Landon also adds an interesting new element to the background of the haunting that ensures the series' perpetuity. Other than that, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 varies little from the proven path, so fans of the series will find plenty to love. Others will just be outright bored.
June 28, 2016
Paranormal Activity 3 (Henry Joost and Ariel Schulamn, 2011)

I was a big, big fan of the first two Paranormal Activity movies. The first one dropped like a bomb from out of nowhere-it was one of the first found-footage films since The Blair Witch Project that actually looked like a found footage movie (probably because of Oren Peli's lack of budget). The second was slicker, but it went places, emotionally, that the first hadn't dared to go, and it succeeded in doing something that no movie has done to me since Candyman twenty years previous-it scared the pants off me in a crowded theater. So of course I had high hopes for the third installment in the franchise, and the first trailer that came out seemed pretty nifty. How much did I like Joost and Schulman (Catfish)'s first entry in the series? I'll put it this way: I've had Paranormal Activity 4 on my Netflix Instant queue since the day it appeared there...but I haven't watched it yet.

NOTE: the plot synopsis necessarily contains spoilers for the first film in the series. Proceed with caution if necessary.

Set in 1988, Paranormal Activity 3 purports to tell the story of how poor Katie (Up All Night's Chloe Csengery) and her little sister Kristi (Wiener Dog Nationals' Jessica Tyler Brown) first met up with the demon that has haunted Katie throughout the series. The movie focuses more on Katie and Kristi's mother, Julie (Bride Wars' Lauren Bittner) and her boyfriend Dennis (Little Children's Christopher Nicholas Smith), as well as Dennis' friend Randy (Sky High's Dustin Ingram), a videographer Dennis brings in to help document the weird things going on in the house when they start getting out of hand. We first learn something is amiss when Kristi started talking to an imaginary friend she has named Toby. While that doesn't seem out of the ordinary at the beginning, Dennis starts to realize that Toby may not be entirely imaginary after an earthquake-he captured a few frames of video that night where the settling dust outlined a human-shaped figure, otherwise invisible. It's at this point he calls Randy in, and the movie begins to look like PA2, with cameras everywhere in the house. It would be a spoiler to say whether or not that mystery is ever revealed in this film (but as I mentioned in the first paragraph, there is a PA4, and a "related" movie, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, came and went in January 2014 with almost no fanfare).

The main thing about PA3 that contrasts with the first two entries in the series is how forgettable it is; the setup is basically the same, the execution is the same, the only differences are the actors and directors. And both come off here as pale imitations of the original. (There is also some debate over whether the final sequence of this film breaks canon. I originally thought so-actually, I think the phrase that went through my head as I was watching is "this makes no friggin' sense given the first two movies"-but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise by someone with some evidence.) Still, for all that, it's not a terrible movie; it has the weight of the two movies that came before it shoving it down in my estimation. Had it been a standalone Satanic Panic movie, I probably would have liked it more; it's not The House of the Devil, but then few things are. Still, I would have liked to see these directors-who have been noted widely for being so avant-garde in Catfish-to do something, anything, here that defied convention. **
June 27, 2016
Mucho mejor que la primera, (que no he visto la segunda parte), tiene momentos bastante terrorificos, además de un final super ambiguo que te dejara con ganas de màs. Efectiva y emocionante.
½ June 27, 2016
This movie was so boring! I'm so glad that I didn't pay any money to see it. The only excitement you see is from the commercials. This movie sucks ass! Save your money!
June 10, 2016
I was not sure how this movie would turn out. But trust me. For a fun night with friends and a hard time getting to sleep this movie is your best choice. The last ten minutes will screw u over
½ May 26, 2016
Mind-numbingly dull. Skip.
½ May 25, 2016
Best one of the franchise, got some good jumps, it's just the ending that sucks
April 30, 2016
An improvement over the second film, but still doesn't reach the heights of the original.
March 27, 2016
Definitely better than the second one but it can't add up to the eeriness and haunted feel the first one gave us. If you're a PA fan, it's worth seeing
March 26, 2016
Out of all paranormal activity films this may be the most underrated of them all. While it doesn't live up to the first two pa3 provides unique scares and is a good prequel to 1 and 2. I love the idea of Kristi being able to talk to the demon because it opens up a new door of scare ideas.