Parenthood Reviews

• 3d ago

A bit overly sentimental, but overall good. Not what I was expecting (Mr. Mom type of film). Steve Martin is at his best with family comedies and this one is no exception. I think minus some of the ending, the film is pretty genuine and relatable as far as parenthood goes. Basically that its messy and a never-ending job, but worthwhile at the end of the day. I like the rollercoaster analogy. This film has a lot of lil chuckles for a comedy, but def not a ton of laugh out loud moments. That's ok tho bc the storyline was substantial enough. Lot of famous 80s actors in this one and the acting is well done.

• Jul 11, 2020

Really cut, with some great performances and some nice heart.

Really cut, with some great performances and some nice heart.

• Jun 26, 2020

Decent watch, probably won't watch again, but could recommend. Sometimes its good to get in the way back machine and see movies that really drove today's tropes, like the "crazy dysfunctional big family" trope. Steve Martin is always fun, if a little weird in this at times. This feels more like just a representation of how hard parenting can be because all people, including children, are different and have different wants and needs. Its a fun little adventure of a movie, but not much re-watchability.

• May 17, 2020

This is a classic and truly is a wonderful realistic movie about life and having a family. A must watch for any Steve Martin fan.

• Feb 29, 2020

You won't have to look far into the deepest recesses of the cineaste crowd to found someone with a "hot take" on Ron Howard. Many find his films plain, lacking in thematic depth and sometimes just downright inferior in quality. With a movie like "Parenthood," however, you're reminded of just how many good ones there really were for the filmmaker, especially in the late eighties and early-to-mid nineties. This is an -- at times -- masterful exercise in ensemble storytelling, all built around a kernel of thematic content that's so endearing and relatable, it's hard not to get caught up in the up's and down's of these (fictional) characters' very hectic lives. Featuring a veritable who's who of talent all throughout, you're given well acted yarns involving love, life, child-rearing and worthwhile commentary on the numerous relationships that can occur within one big family. Toss in some occasional directorial flourishes from Ron Howard and you end up with a thoroughly entertaining, stunningly contemporary look into the complexities that can occur within an American family.

• Feb 22, 2020

Such and easy movie to like with a killer cast and it’s a total laugh riot.

Such and easy movie to like with a killer cast and it’s a total laugh riot.

• Jan 22, 2020

This movie is so much more than just a movie about kids, like a lot of the silly movies out now-a-days, like Daddy Daycare, Are We There Yet, Playing with Fire, etc. Parenthood is amazing in the spectrum of parenting it covers. I've watched this since I was a kid, and watching now, at 35, I can say it keeps getting better and funnier. There's also a grandparent perspective in it as well, so I'll watch it again when I'm 75 :-) ...also, it's cool seeing a young Joaquin Phoenix early in his acting career.

• Dec 28, 2019

Many layers of life lessons in this one for me. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't second guess myself at all OR... I would organize a book club of like minded folk who consider movies to be superior to lolly-gagging your way through a book & absorb & apply wisdom to lighten up for the better for everyone

• Nov 24, 2019