Paris Manhattan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris Manhattan Reviews

October 4, 2016
A witty film, a good comedy
½ October 4, 2016
Alice (Taglioni) is a thirty-something, socially awkward, Parisian, obsessed with the films of Woody Allen. On her bedroom wall hangs a poster of the film-maker, and she imagines him speaking to her through snippets of dialogue from his films (voiced by a French Allen imitator whose attempt at a Brooklyn accent sounds more like Tony Soprano). She's dating the suave but slimy Vincent (Soulier), who pretends to share her taste in movies and music to keep her interested. Victor (Bruel), on the other hand, openly mocks her taste but is genuinely interested in Alice. Who will she choose?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, they say. If, however, you possess none of the talent of the object of your flattery, you'll end up looking pretty dumb. Two things are made clear about writer-director Lellouche from this dreadful and charmless film: she loves Woody Allen and she isn't qualified to write the dosage instructions on a Lemsip packet, never mind a feature film.
The concept is essentially a reworking of the Allen scripted, Herbert Ross directed 'Play it Again Sam', with an imaginary Bogart replaced by a poster of Allen. The problem is, while Ross' film was a comedy which referenced Film Noir, Lellouche is referencing comedy through comedy. Her film is painfully unfunny, with none of the wit or insight you get from Allen's movies. The effect is akin to watching Bernard Manning perform a Larry David stand-up routine.
I found myself scratching my head at several points, trying to piece together what on earth I was watching. There are sub-plots which go nowhere and several scenes which confused me as to whether they were meant to be flashbacks or not. Bits of 'Hannah and Her Sisters' and 'Manhattan Murder Mystery' are clumsily reworked in a confusing manner. Allen wouldn't wipe his ass with this script.

Taglioni, a leggy Elle MacPherson lookalike, is ludicrously miscast as a nebbish and the only character who feels real is her father, the type of put-upon Jewish father who turns up regularly in Allen's movies.
The great man makes a cameo towards the end but it's not enough to redeem the film, even for the most hardcore of his fans. The greatest insult Lellouche gives Allen is in suggesting his best film is 'Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex', his most moronic comedy. Thank God for the French? Not this time.
½ October 4, 2016
Comédia romântica ingênua cujo maior atrativo é inserir Woody Allen como fio condutor do enredo.
October 4, 2016
Love can come unexpected...
October 4, 2016
This cast of characters was very unique and the romance was very sweet. A perfect ending and a strong cast made this is a very enjoyable viewing experience.
½ October 4, 2016
shallow dull witless French...
½ October 8, 2015
A romantic comedy that is not romantic nor funny; instead, it is silly and uninteresting in the same proportion - and not even an adorable cameo by Woody Allen himself is able to lift this movie from being merely ordinary.
January 26, 2015
This film is legitimately terrifying.
March 5, 2014
Let's be frank, I would rewatch it three times because I really like Alice Togliatti, but come on! tremendous!
January 8, 2014
Cheio de influências, citações e o que muitos podem considerar clichê, é uma comédia romântica como dos velhos tempos, uma fofura!
August 10, 2013
Really nice, relaxing, sweet comedy. Woody Allen fans will find a lot of allegories to his movies. The mixture of Allen's quotations from various movies to the story, making a real conversation between Alice and Woody is hilarious. And so many scenes almost taken out from his movies, e.g. when Alice's parents sneak into her sisters' apartment - it's "Manhattan Murder Mystery"... Alice's mom even looks a bit like Diane Keaton there :) For me very fresh! Good I didn't check reviews here...
July 31, 2013
Court (heureusement), le film a une petite touche de folie appréciable, est bien servi par son casting mais peine un peu à décoller. Il est délicieusement burlesque mais trop sur la retenue, il pourrait se montrer encore plus surprenant et un peu moins convenu. Un bon moment malgré tout.
½ July 28, 2013
This is a really nice light hearted film focusing on Alice (Alice Taglioni, The Pink Panther) an odd young woman obsessed with Woody Allen. Alice is quirky and funny which compensates for the rather generic romantic comedy plot. Much of the film is a homage to Woody Allen and his films, even down to Alice's reflections talking to her poster of Woody Allen. Overall it's a sweet and funny film, not too serious or deep.
July 7, 2013
They try to make sure they do not have to wait around for people like me.
May 17, 2013
Utterly dire trite unromantic and unfunny attempt at a romantic comedy.
May 13, 2013
If you like French Romantic comedies this is a good one! I defenitely recommend it.
May 11, 2013
Very cute film! Entertaining, funny, simple, perfect to unwind. Happy ending!
April 23, 2013
It's ok. Cute idea. Lacking in any spark and a tad boring in parts.
½ April 19, 2013
I liked it, no matter the specialized critics say. It made me remember "Un air de famille". I love French comedy anyway. :)
½ April 2, 2013
J ai vu ce film l annee derniere en France Et franchement c est tres mauvais sans aucun interet!!