Passion Reviews

• May 23, 2020

Great first half exploring power, coercion and humiliation before descending into a murderous, melodramatic mess in the finale. The best and worst of de Palma on display.

• Dec 29, 2019

My girlfriend made me watch this all the way through to the bitter end. I'm hoping there's a reward in this for me. Apparently the actors in this movie lucked out in the auditions for 50 Shades of Grey. The eroticism was confined to a drawer in the bathroom. I didn't understand the ending. How come the murdered woman was present at her own funeral? Did they run out of extras? This movie is in a class of its own.

• Apr 11, 2019

Also ich muss sagen ich hätte, trotz dass ich das Buch gelesen habe, mehr erwartet. Charaktere zu verändern ist eine dache aber den roten Faden zu durchtrennen, und neu zusammen zu setzen eine komplett andere. Nur wenige Sachen sind wie im Buch und selbst meine Freundin, die das Buch nicht gelesen hat, meinte, es sei nur eine zusammen wUerfelung verschiedener Szenen gewesen. Schade! Liebe das Buch und Anna Todd aber das war Mist.

• Mar 22, 2019

A movie that is garbage nothing is redeemable and it is very convoluted

A movie that is garbage nothing is redeemable and it is very convoluted

• Oct 01, 2018

DePalma maybe modernising his own formula but doesn't entirely satisfy.

DePalma maybe modernising his own formula but doesn't entirely satisfy.

• Nov 02, 2017

I've been a defender of Brian De Palma throughout his entire career, even at his most dark points like Bonfire of the Vanities, but Passion is abysmally unacceptable. He tries to "return to form," but just ends up ruining his signature techniques and attempting to conform to modern modus operandi, ending up with a very dumb, flat, ironically passionless piece of near-shit saved by a marginally effective second half, despite still containing emotionless, horrible acting from its two, generally talented leads.

• Oct 22, 2017

Starts off fine then it turns into TV movie bad. A waste.

Starts off fine then it turns into TV movie bad. A waste.

• Oct 09, 2017

Firstly, I don't see why this film should be remade in the first place. The Hollywood ending makes it even worse.

• Jun 19, 2017

All the DePalma staples are there, so it's good enough to keep you watching and guessing, with some great score, editing and cinematography. But it doesn't quite have the bite you'd normally expect from him. It feels more like someone imitating him.

• Aug 01, 2016

Not as bad as some critics said it was but DePalma did seem to be using some of his old tried-and-true Hitchcock via Godard tricks. There is lust, deception, manipulation, and murder. Rachel McAdams plays an American executive in an international advertising firm heading up a branch office in a major Scandinavian city I am assuming is Oslo. McAdams manipulates and uses the more talented Noomi Rapace who in turn plots against McAdams. Its a solid thriller and very well acted by its principles but I was constantly reminded of Dressed To Kill, Sisters, Blow Out, and even Phantom Of The Paradise while I was watching. This wasn't too bad as I loved that period of DePalma film-making.