Peggy Sue Got Married - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peggy Sue Got Married Reviews

½ February 10, 2018
Peggy Sue Got Married's premise is a wonderful one, which takes on other meanings as age creeps up and the years whistle by.
When I first saw it as a kid, I appreciated the story and what was happening, sure, but the nostalgic aspect was somewhat lost on me. I wasn't asking myself the questions the film asks. But, as I've got older, I have pondered those questions. 'What would you do, being 17 again, with the benefit of hindsight?' It's a question whose answer offers up some rose-tinted nostalgia and some melancholy, as you could see, talk to and have fun with people you know you'll never see again.
This is an aspect of the plot which is expertly explored in the movie. Some scenes are brilliantly full of double-meaning and cross-purpose.
When Peggy Sue and her boyfriend and future husband, from whom she will be separated, pending divorce, are together, she and the audience know that the couple have spent years together. When she tries to connect with him as a 17 year-old, she has to put herself back in her teenage shoes and talk, as if at the beginning of a relationship with this guy. These challenges make for great scenes.
Kathleen Turner's performance is brilliantly observed. She somehow makes a convincing teenager.
It's a brilliant story with interesting, engaging characters and fascinating questions to ask. It's funny to boot.
I'm definitely a Francis Ford Coppola fan, but often, his films are met with mixed reactions, as he tries different approaches to filmmaking. With this one, he just assembled a great cast to tell a story - simplicity itself - and it paid off.
½ February 4, 2018
A pretty entertaining movie cashing in on the success of Back to the future and delivering more 50s nostalgia.
The film is saved by the 2 leads who give likeable performances.
Turner was said to be too old for the role but if you can get past that it's watchable enough. Although it has not aged as well as Back to the Future.
½ January 13, 2018
Rewatched it again and not overly impressed. Nicolas Cage makes a hammy bad joke of the romantic scenes and the ending was really f*d. Honestly I was hoping she would run off with Richard the whole time.
Had potential and the fashions were great and done small roles with other stars were fun to see, but overall a bit of a fail.
December 28, 2017
Story about a woman who gets a second chance at changing her future when she is transported back in time to her senior year in high school. Really an underrated classic. Partly because of Kathleen Turner, but also because of the script. I love how she dates the class nerd and the class poet. One of the better movies by Coppola.
½ September 18, 2017
Despite the logical fallacies the story presents, it's quite a watch.
August 9, 2017
A terrible, boring film with a horrible performance from all the actors. Surprisingly, one of the worst films I've seen.
March 19, 2017
I. LOVE. This. Movie.
Always have actually. A small town, light dramedy of an almost divorced middle aged woman who gets transported back to high school to relive meeting here husband.
The idea of a do-over is huge w me, and Coppola gets every detail right w sets, script, dialogue, and gets the perfect pitch and tone from his stars.
Hilarious high school antics, and then poignant and heartfelt moments at just the right time.

The witty deadpan comments about American culture then and now are brilliant and give this film a thinking man's layer; the comedy and drama keep things lively, and the moments of nostalgia - talking to a long gone relative on the phone again - brought a depth that got me thinking 'what if I could go back and change things?' I was drawn in completely.

Nostalgic to a 'T', thoughtful, great cast camaraderie, great costumes, and a few early Jim Carrey antics to boot.
The premise of going back and doing your life over again with what u know now - Awesome.
And used to full effect here, in Francis Ford Coppola's best grand, sweeping, storytelling style. It has some visual qualities like The Black Stallion, and is a female Back To The Future - a year before that movie hit the scene.

They particularly nailed the culture of 1960 too.
So many ways they got it right, and Kathleen Turner brings her Oscar nominated 'A' game.

5 out of 5 dreams that feel SO real..
March 13, 2017
It's a charming movie with hilarious moments and some meaningful moments scattered throughout even if it's cheesey and cliche through a lot of it as well. Not sure why Francis Ford Coppola did something like this but it's interesting to see on his resume.
½ January 26, 2017
Turner é ótima, mas os personagens são magros e unidimensionais e Nicolas Cage é (dã) bizarro
January 7, 2017
It doesn't seem like much happens, maybe I wasn't following it closely enough. Watchable and worth rewatching. Cool to see Nicholas Cage and Jim Carey though!
½ August 1, 2016
enjoyable movie and interesting concept that she flashed back to her high school days and remembered why she fell in love. Ending could have been better, but good cast and nice story overall
June 22, 2016
Peggy Sue, you had a do-over, go for the nerd!
June 20, 2016
The score alone makes this film so much more than I ever expected.
May 13, 2016
This is based on the fact I've only seen about 20-30 minutes of it. I didn't think I'd like it but it was slowly drawing me in when I had to leave. Nicholas Cage's voice is, however, completely ridiculous.
½ April 10, 2016
Just as fun as I remembered it being, but the ending sucks.
½ March 7, 2016
A nostalgic look at the 1950s. Not as entertaining as Back to the Future.
January 2, 2016
When comparing with Back to the Future, Peggy Sue fails to make us care about her final decision. Nicolas Cage is charismatic here.
June 7, 2015
A very cute film with a nice performance from Kathleen Turner. The real star of the show though is Nicolas Cage who once again makes me scratch my head at how his career spiraled out of control when he is capable of performances like this. Definitely one of his best. Jim Carrey pops up for a few scenes and is great and Kevin J. O'Conner gave a great performance as well. It is well written, has great costumes, and a delightful soundtrack
May 26, 2015
I never understood the appeal of this movie. The one thing that saves it at all is a great movie star turn by Kathleen Turner at the height of her stardom.
½ April 17, 2015
Interesting for some odd performances from the likes of Nicolas Cage and Jim Carrey but it's a stupid story that is so predictable that it's difficult to wait for it all to happen.