People Will Talk Reviews

• Sep 23, 2019

This movie has a lot to say -- director Joseph L. Mankiewicz knew what he was doing in bringing this script into production. But Cary Grant doesn't work in this role. He is too well known and carries a great amount of baggage from all his previous roles. The part of Dr, Praetorius needed to be played by a relatively new or unknown actor. Grant could only be seen as Grant -- his presence was that strong. This was not Dr. Praetorius... it was Cary Grant. It knocked the film off kilter from its offbeat and beguiling beginning in which we see Margaret Hamilton very solemnly warning someone about this Dr. Praetorius character. He is really bad. Then the scene shifts and its ... Cary Grant! It just doesn't work. Jeanne Crain, sorry to say, does not establish herself in this role and inhabit it like it needed. She acted and this was apparent, but she was always Jeanne Crain, never the character. This movie was a masterpiece outside of these glaring casting mistakes. Others have run down the plot, but to fully grasp its genius you have to see it more than once. That's why it didn't do as well as expected at the box office. One sitting wasn't enough. The appreciation comes from a deeper understanding, and the majority of the people won't want to do that. Picture this film with another lead and imagine how much improved it would have been, not because Grant was in any way bad, but because he was so good and so well known that he would always just be Cary Grant.

• Apr 27, 2019

This is an odd but deeply interesting and ambitious film. It addresses many important topics: political correctness, witch hunts, unwanted pregnancy, friendship, professional conduct, the role of psychology in healing, and others. Yet it also toggles among comedy, drama and romance in an unsettling way, and descends into an odd preachiness at times. It's tackling of adult themes requires intelligence and engagement from the audience. It is a dense film, and I'd like to watch it again.

• Nov 18, 2017

A slight and dated film that stretches credulity. Even Grant is annoying and cloying. Had the film focused on the unwed and pregnant Jeanne Crain and her predicament in 1951, there might be something here. Instead the film goes off a ridiculous tangent with so called secrets of both Grant and his hunkering friend. I stayed with the film because it was unknown to me and I was curious. The fun part is when Grant's character speechifies against the tasteless and hygienically packaged food on 1951. Having been alive in the fifties as a child, I can attest to the quality of food during that era compared to what came later. Yes Mr. Mankewicz we bought sauerkraut from barrels, butter from huge blocks, and milk in bottles during the fifties. And food had taste.

• Sep 24, 2017

Such a great movie!!! Human beings ARE more than just bodies....unwed pregnancy has been around forever, and people are people, and people aren't perfect...now throw in a talented bunch of movie stars and it's a classic must see hit!! Love love love

• Oct 29, 2016

Unusual and controversial love story told through an MD.

Unusual and controversial love story told through an MD.

• Jun 13, 2016

A very strange movie about a strange doctor. Cary Grant gives a great performance, and Hume Cronyn is great too. Probably way too long. I liked it, but it's kind of oddball. It doesn't fully work. But worth seeing.

• May 17, 2016

This was a decent character drama about an OB-GYN whose methods and practices are being questioned. Cary Grant makes this a tolerable experience, where it could have been really bad with someone less engaging. There are several moments that I really enjoyed in the film, perhaps the funniest was when 3 grown men are playing with toy trains. I liked the mystery of who Shunderson was, and the puzzle of how he fit into Dr. Praetorius' life. I also really enjoyed the drama created when he does all he can to save a patient who is pregnant and despairs over her "ruined" life. The problem in the film is that it has a lot of extremely bland parts and performances, several characters behave in very illogical ways, and it occasionally seems to detour in order to push some agenda. It is my understanding that this was a film that was created by the writer/director to further his liberal agenda in response to McCarthyism. There's nothing inherently wrong with the views expressed in the film, but it took some of the more personal character development that they were working towards and instead lifted the actors onto a soapbox to make a point. It threatens to cripple the whole movie, but I still felt there were enough enjoyable moments that I would probably watch People Will Talk again. I doubt I would recommend it, though.

• May 07, 2016

Cary Grant in one of his most boring roles in one of the too-many preposterous romance films made in USA.

• Dec 31, 2015

People Will Talk is an amazing film. It is about Dr. Noah Praetorius who falls in love with Debra, a student. Cary Grant and Jeanne Crain give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Joseph L. Mankiewicz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. People Will Talk is a must see.

• Jun 22, 2015