Places in the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Places in the Heart Reviews

April 19, 2017
Probably the finest melodrama of the 80s.
½ March 25, 2017
A good drama about a young mother of two during the depression who loses her husband to the recklessness of a drunk and tackles the daunting task of keeping her home from being foreclosed on by a rather heartless bank. Liked the characters and never got dull. Fine cast.
January 29, 2017
A tremendously ensemble acting piece that's anchored by Sally Field's and Danny Glover's emotionally resilient characterizations! The final scene of "passing-the-bread," in its thematic irony, is shattering in its simplicity; the fade-out is (for me) devastating. That scene has never failed to leave me in tears.... One of my all-time favorites!
December 22, 2016
Sally Field's performance left a place in my heart along with the amazing supporting cast.
April 21, 2016
Robert Benton's depiction of a woman trying to keep her farm and family together in the face of adversities set in Texas during the Great Depression is powerful and honest - benefiting from Sally Field's strong performance.
March 27, 2016
A heartfelt film with multiple performances that are utterly remarkable. A must see movie.
January 29, 2016
'Places' is OK, but as much as it is supposed to be an uplifting movie about unlikely survival during the Depression, I found it depressing as in the end, it is only by luck and Moze that Edna survives - and next year, with neither Moze or luck on your side, she will lose the farm anyway.
December 24, 2015
a amazing cast in this outstanding classic
September 1, 2015
Could be interesting . . . just wish there was a synopsis . . .
July 30, 2015
I recently revisited some Sally Field movies..this is one of the best, look at the star power Sally Field, Danny Glover, John Malcovich, Ed Harris and Lindsey Crouse..The story is great..dealing with the racism of the time.Malcovich is superb as the border... the art direction is almost scary its so real...a must see again
½ June 10, 2015
Started slow and I wasn't expecting much but I'm glad I kept watching because it was a great film with great performances, I'd say that it is Sally field's and Danny glovers best films ever.
May 25, 2015
In my opinion, this is Robert Benton's finest moment as a filmmaker. An almost perfect film. Aside from the amazing work of his actors (particularly Sally Field) -- Benton almost casually captures the horrors of racism, sexism and human cruelty. What is truly elegant is that Benton allows in surrealism to demonstrate the unlimited capacity in human strength to receive / accept love, to give forgive and to retain not only dignity but hope. It takes a great deal of talent to communicate this hope without ever backing off the truth of reality. A must see.
½ May 17, 2015
The masterpiece released in 1984 portrays a Texas woman who stands on her own to protect her family and land after loss of her beloved husband in 1935 just after the Great Depression.
It is full of American memories such as a grace at meals, wooden buildings, tornados, cotton fields, KKK, preaches and hymns.
According to Roger Ebert, "The places referred to in the title of Robert Benton's movie are, he has said, places that he holds sacred in his own heart: The small town in Texas where he grew up, various friends and relatives he remembers from those days, the little boy that he once was, and the things that happened or almost happened. "
The masterpiece makes me feel nostalgic as the US have changed drastically in 80 years while I learned good old America on TV's and movies as well. Over such background, Robert Benton put the story of the standing widow as well as episodes of a sister suffering from her husband's affair, an African American good at farming, an visually handicapped veteran which makes the masterpiece deep and wide.
April 13, 2015
Well written,directed character study that have the actors to pull of this wonderful heartfelt story.
March 15, 2015
For some reason, I'm a sucker for depression-era films -- and this is one of the better ones.
The villains at the end of this movie are among the worst I've ever seen.
The "what do you look like?" scene was beautiful.
Unfortunately, it only suffers from a slight lack of destination.
Though I must say, that end scene totally bothered me. It turned the movie into something inauthentic, in a way. Even if it was intended to be symbolic, it steals the story of some efficacy. Would've been much better without the man back (if you've seen it, you know). Bad play.
Forced an excessively figurative conclusion that I believe robs the film of true spirituality as seen in their lives. Didn't need to push it quite so hard to completely take the film in a totally different direction.
Otherwise, a lovely film.
February 9, 2015
exceptional story and cast makes this a period of extraordinary Amrricana
½ December 30, 2014
It just seemed like the "perfect" movie. Everything happened like it was supposed to, but I just didn't believe it.
½ October 17, 2014
There's a super sweetness to "Places in the Heart," but it wears it well. The characters all have little failings, but nothing that can't be quickly overcome in the space of a tender, touching moment. Though many scenes walk right up to the line, they stop short of turning that well-earned tenderness into cloying sentimentality.

The young, cherub-cheeked widow played by Sally Field is can-do-ism personified, and is perhaps more racially tolerant than the norm for 1930s Texas, especially considering that her husband has just been killed by a drunk, black youth. But the movie sells us on the idea that she has bigger problems to worry about than racial politics or even personal loss. The Depression is palpable throughout the movie, and it reshapes her life almost overnight. A neighbor is living in a car, paint on a nearby abandoned house says "Gone to California," and now, with the death of the family breadwinner, Field's character also appears to be headed for bust. Worse, she may lose custody of her two children. With no time to mourn, she has to take in a surly boarder (John Malkovich, thoroughly believable as the blind WWI veteran) and hire a black man who previously stole from her (Danny Glover) in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. If it seems all too predictable that her headstrong determination and positive spirit will prevail, that her worldly-wise black field hand will prove his worth, and that the bottled-up boarder will grudgingly reveal his sensitive side, well... it wears it well.

Perhaps these characters should be thought of in the way that many of us like to think of our grandparents and great-grandparents: a little idealized in our minds, perhaps, but people who we believe were fundamentally good and who lived through difficult and transformative years in our history as soldiers, laborers, school children, and housewives. The final scene in the movie is a creative tracking shot that emphasizes the oneness of this diverse, often fragmented and antagonistic, yet familiar community that we have come to know. It is not just a Texas community, but an American one.

It is hard to say what a slow-boiling side plot about marital infidelity, featuring a young and inscrutable Ed Harris, adds to the movie. There may be some thematic connection to a frightening sequence of a literally home-wrecking tornado. Or maybe it is a way to provide additional color by making the supporting characters flawed and allowing the main ones to remain only nominally imperfect. In any case, this B-plot is not very creatively rendered, and it takes time away from the Malkovich and Glover characters whose private lives would surely be far more interesting but are too seldom seen. This shortcoming, though, does not prevent the main plot from being as affirming and moving as it strives to be.
September 28, 2014
Maybe it was good for the time? Bored me
½ September 3, 2014
There's some good stuff in this movie, but it overall isn't one I can recommend or say I enjoyed it enough to do so. Sally Field certainly didn't deserve the Oscar for this performance (not that she's bad), it must have been a really weak year. The Ed Harris subplot is just a total waste of time, the whole affair thing should have been cut as it felt like a different (really boring) movie. I like Danny Glover's character, and Malkovich is always interesting, but it wasn't enough to raise above the rest of the mediocre movie.