Places in the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Places in the Heart Reviews

February 2, 2019
The best inspiring movie ever made!
August 31, 2018
That was one of the most shocking beginning Ive ever seen in a film. I like this movie. I liked how it showed how hard farmers work, a strong female lead n mother, how disabled ppl can fend for themselves, n how different times used to be between racism, no social welfare n no tech no that long ago. The movie was a little hokie at times esp that whole affair situation and the ending was a bit abrupt with some questions remaining, but overall a good film. I enjoyed some of the simple goodness and beautiful landscapes from that era, like the quaintness/innocence.
½ May 2, 2018
Not without some effective moments but Benton could have excised the tedious subplots and lost nothing. In fact he could have used that extra time to flesh out all three of his main characters.
April 14, 2018
One of the best (not overtly) Christian films ever made. I saw it first run in Munich, Germany, and the last scene in church (viewers, pay attention) left me so emotionally overwrought that I didn't leave the theatre until 45 minutes later.
February 27, 2018
Malkovitch's performance is very moving here; Quite stunning presence & character.
June 29, 2017
A sad yet moving film. The love sub plot distracts from the whole. A great song in "cotton eye joe" was on there.
June 22, 2017
Robert Benton's inspiringly uplifting eulogy to the resilience and compassion of the impoverished Texans of his hometown in the midst of the Great Depression and racial segregation.
April 19, 2017
Probably the finest melodrama of the 80s.
½ March 25, 2017
A good drama about a young mother of two during the depression who loses her husband to the recklessness of a drunk and tackles the daunting task of keeping her home from being foreclosed on by a rather heartless bank. Liked the characters and never got dull. Fine cast.
January 29, 2017
A tremendously ensemble acting piece that's anchored by Sally Field's and Danny Glover's emotionally resilient characterizations! The final scene of "passing-the-bread," in its thematic irony, is shattering in its simplicity; the fade-out is (for me) devastating. That scene has never failed to leave me in tears.... One of my all-time favorites!
December 22, 2016
Sally Field's performance left a place in my heart along with the amazing supporting cast.
April 21, 2016
Robert Benton's depiction of a woman trying to keep her farm and family together in the face of adversities set in Texas during the Great Depression is powerful and honest - benefiting from Sally Field's strong performance.
March 27, 2016
A heartfelt film with multiple performances that are utterly remarkable. A must see movie.
January 29, 2016
'Places' is OK, but as much as it is supposed to be an uplifting movie about unlikely survival during the Depression, I found it depressing as in the end, it is only by luck and Moze that Edna survives - and next year, with neither Moze or luck on your side, she will lose the farm anyway.
December 24, 2015
a amazing cast in this outstanding classic
September 1, 2015
Could be interesting . . . just wish there was a synopsis . . .
July 30, 2015
I recently revisited some Sally Field movies..this is one of the best, look at the star power Sally Field, Danny Glover, John Malcovich, Ed Harris and Lindsey Crouse..The story is great..dealing with the racism of the time.Malcovich is superb as the border... the art direction is almost scary its so real...a must see again
½ June 10, 2015
Started slow and I wasn't expecting much but I'm glad I kept watching because it was a great film with great performances, I'd say that it is Sally field's and Danny glovers best films ever.
May 25, 2015
In my opinion, this is Robert Benton's finest moment as a filmmaker. An almost perfect film. Aside from the amazing work of his actors (particularly Sally Field) -- Benton almost casually captures the horrors of racism, sexism and human cruelty. What is truly elegant is that Benton allows in surrealism to demonstrate the unlimited capacity in human strength to receive / accept love, to give forgive and to retain not only dignity but hope. It takes a great deal of talent to communicate this hope without ever backing off the truth of reality. A must see.
½ May 17, 2015
The masterpiece released in 1984 portrays a Texas woman who stands on her own to protect her family and land after loss of her beloved husband in 1935 just after the Great Depression.
It is full of American memories such as a grace at meals, wooden buildings, tornados, cotton fields, KKK, preaches and hymns.
According to Roger Ebert, "The places referred to in the title of Robert Benton's movie are, he has said, places that he holds sacred in his own heart: The small town in Texas where he grew up, various friends and relatives he remembers from those days, the little boy that he once was, and the things that happened or almost happened. "
The masterpiece makes me feel nostalgic as the US have changed drastically in 80 years while I learned good old America on TV's and movies as well. Over such background, Robert Benton put the story of the standing widow as well as episodes of a sister suffering from her husband's affair, an African American good at farming, an visually handicapped veteran which makes the masterpiece deep and wide.