Raising Arizona Reviews

• Aug 11, 2019

Slightly surreal - Blobbo love this one.

Slightly surreal - Blobbo love this one.

• Aug 05, 2019

Raising Arizona is the 3rd worst Coen Brothers film. With True Grit the worst, Barton Fink the 2nd worst and then this.

• Jul 29, 2019

After the duly noted crime stylings of "Blood Simple," the Coen brothers would move on to showcase the other component of what would become their signature voice and style -- humor. "Raising Arizona" finds the Coens falling into the exact opposite of a sophomore slump, spinning a colorfully rendered, well-acted, and uncommonly charming yarn that just so happens to outdo their first flick in the entertainment value department. As revelatory as "Blood Simple" was for so many back in its time, it's fair to say that the filmmakers behind it moved on to bigger and better things. I just had no idea that those bigger and better things would occur in the form of their very next flick. "Raising Arizona" is fun, funny, deeply heartfelt and rife with that trademark use of semiotics that the filmmaking duo have come to be so well known for. Though it's definitely an early, still slightly unrefined work of theirs, it's more than worth a look.

• Jul 26, 2019

It's tough to explain how much this film meant when it came out in 1987. There just wasn't anything else like it, and it has withstood the test of time. More than just my favorite Coen Brother's film, it is likely my favorite film period for how original and fun it was at the time it came out. I know there are other masters of the craft out there, but I can watch this movie over and over, and it never gets old. The Deer Hunter and Midnight Express are exceptional films, but they don't lend themselves well to joyful repeat viewings. The Big Lebowski is outstanding as well, but the narrative arch is more satisfying in Raising Arizona, and I think the laughs are just as plentiful, if not more. A modern masterpiece!

• Jun 28, 2019

Bizarre and hilarious - full of great lines and oddball characters

Bizarre and hilarious - full of great lines and oddball characters

• Jun 20, 2019

This movie puts Nicholas Cage in probably his most unique and unusual role ever. There is this weird style of redneckery, westerny, 80s moviey. The humor is alright but not really that good in my opinion. The plot focuses around the baby as a central idea which works really well in terms of the flow of the movie. It is obviously well-made and well-acted but does not have anything that stands out too much within the story in comparison to other hilarious comedy films such as Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

• May 12, 2019

Raising Arizona is a 1987 comedy directed by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen. The Coen brothers in my opinion are two of the best directors from resent years, with such films under there belt as No Country For Old Men and Millers Crossing. The film stars Nicolas Cage as H. I. McDunnough and Holly Hunter as Edwina "Ed" McDunnough. The story in my opinion was intriguing, and really entertaining to watch unfold. The story also had some very unique plot choices especially toward the 3rd act. The acting I felt was very strong especially Nicolas Cage as H. I. McDunnough, I personally felt that he was a perfect fit for the character. The other actors were also strong from John Goodman to William Forsythe. The characters I found were very entertaining and portrayed well, ranging from various criminals to a devilish bounty hunter. The cinematography was strong with some very good hand held shots of various characters running from the law. The set designs costumes and makeup were also very strong, especially with H. I. McDunnough and the Snoat brothers. The film also has that unique Coen brothers style, from the colour scheme to how quickly aspects of the film escalate. The film also had some very good action that is mostly used for comedic effect. The music in the film is very strong and memorable, and also fits with the style of the film really well. The comedy in my opinion was really strong and had me laughing out loud throughout most of the runtime of the film. Personally I found the film really enjoyable and something that I hope to watch again in the near future. Over all I give it a 7/10 78% 3.9/5 One of the funniest films I've seen this year

• Jan 09, 2019

No big deal but lots of charm and humor -Typical Coen brothers signature at it's 100%.

• Dec 22, 2018

Laugh-out-loud funny. You gotta see it twice to pick up all the things you missed the first time from laughing.

• Nov 27, 2018

This is an absolutely hilarious movie. A must see!

This is an absolutely hilarious movie. A must see!