Ready Player One Reviews

• 3h ago

TLDR-plot is lackluster, characters are one dimensional and dull, read the book or listen to the audio book (read by Wil Wheaton) its a much better story. The only thing that ties this movie to its source material is the lead character's name and thats about it. The plot, events, and time line is 100% a different story from that of the book. This wouldnt be such a big deal if the book hadnt been so perfect. I understand that some things change between a book and its movie but this is a total reinvention of the wheel. The only way I think this is a good movie is if youd never heard of the book. That being said if you havent read it, watch the movie first, then read the book then you wont be as disappointed

• 3d ago

Makes you a little bit paranoid with our reality.

Makes you a little bit paranoid with our reality.

• 4d ago

Visually amazing, storywise lacking.

Visually amazing, storywise lacking.

• 6d ago

The movie was a fun story to follow would 10/10 recommend

The movie was a fun story to follow would 10/10 recommend

• Sep 08, 2019

A feel good action/adventure story that delivers on ridiculous CGI action, but under delivers on plot.

• Sep 06, 2019

Fun adventure /action fantasy gamer movie with the Spielberg magic. Really enjoyed it and the special effects were wonderful!

• Sep 03, 2019

"Ready Player One", Steven Spielberg's newest sci-fi endeavour, is an absolute stunner when it comes to filmic look. One could wonder, however, if its story and character development match this exquisiteness. Wade Watts is a teen orphan living in the dystopian year 2045. Due to overpopulation, the world's biggest cities largely consist of poverty-dominated compact housing; the lack of space drives citizens to spend a lot of their time in the "OASIS", a digital universe accessible through VR systems, wherein everyone has their own customisable avatar and may fill their virtual bank account with coins - mostly by killing others in-game. The worshipped creator of the game, James Halliday, hid three "keys" in the OASIS, which, if all possessed by one player, gives that player rulership over the OASIS. Parzival (Wade's in-game persona), along with his friends Aech, Daito en Sho, try to hunt these keys down, meeting a certain "Art3mis" in the process (with whom Wade quickly falls in love). Together, they race the powerhungry company IOI and its CEO, N. Sorrento: thus the real-life hunt commences. Undoubtedly, this movie contains full-world CGI amongst the most advanced ever seen, as the OASIS, comprising countless colourful game-spaces and far-stretching battlefields, is computer-generated in its entirety, as well as the real-life dystopia. Evenly positive is the abundance of pop-culture references, methinks. Thanks to Halliday's interests, the analysis of pop-culture plays a key role in the film. From an entire scene taking place in a reconstruction of "The Shining"'s haunted hotel to the mentioning of "Citizen Kane"'s Rosebud and the many references to 1980s-1990s-2000s-2010s-culture in between: Spielberg went all the way. Onto the negative aspects: this movie - and I can't stress this enough - REALLY suffers from poor character development. The digital counterparts get most screentime, though stay as flat as a piece of paper; the real-life characters (Wade, Sorrento, and other players) barely get the time to establish a proper character-arc, and as a result, basically become hard-to-relate-to extras. It's a shame that the film runs for more than 2 hours, comprises such magnificent visuals, but still fails at the most basic of storytelling virtues. Thereby, it makes the movie's length dragging, rather than exciting. Spielberg did an outstanding job directing the visual side of things, but at the end of the day, "Ready Player One" really lacks a fleshed-out character base: I get why critics are mixed on this.

• Sep 02, 2019

okay yes, the plot has some holes, amd the acting isn't always there... but... the CGI is better than in any movie I've ever seen, and it's fun as crap. Watch the movie. I rest my case

• Sep 01, 2019

Maybe not the greatest story, but the nostalga and the ending interaction between Halliday and Wade/Parzival contained a resonating message with me. Another Spielberg triumph!

• Aug 29, 2019

Right when you believe that nobody could to worst than Shyamalan Vs AVATAR the last Airbender here comes this movie. If you loved the book and all it's 80's vibe, you will be disappointed by this cold, high budged rape of an amazing novel. This movie is a glossy waste of time.