Red Tails - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Tails Reviews

½ October 1, 2017
Most of the characters are one-dimensional, the script is just pretty good, there are more than a few cliches, and there's a lot of wasted potential, but Red Tails has more than enough action, one-liners, and emotion to entertain most.
September 25, 2017
amazing ass movie black people are awesome
July 11, 2017
Very enjoyable flick! The flying sequences are outstanding, the sound of those big V-12 engines is spectacular, and this is one that you really want to hear, more than background music. The romance is wearing and unnecessary, and the plot is just a vehicle for flying candy and great action scenes.
I thought the actors were good actually, and though the plot wasn't particularly deep, that's not what I watched the flick for anyway. The whole race thing, I don't care too much, a reminder that America was just as racist as Germany, in its own special way, and it made the point without belabouring it, which is fair.
If anything, I would've liked to see more flying and less soul-searching and romantic schmaltz. Also, nice to hear cleanIsh language for a change, amazingly the exception these days. I think the professional reviewers have been unnecessarily cruel with this review, but no doubt because they're donning spandex outfits and helmets to cycle to their nearest social justice centre...
March 2, 2017
Man this is a good movie ???????????? lighting
January 17, 2017
This was...not a good movie. That's to put it lightly. This film really wants to be "Glory" but with fighter pilots... and yet it fails miserably. The dogfight scenes certainly are impressive. But the script and the acting and the direction just leave so much to be desired.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
October 26, 2016
Red Tails has some cool dog fights but some of the dialogue is awful to listen to.
August 14, 2016
- Watching a squadron of bombers get shot out of the sky. Planes folding on half, catching fire, all kinds of hell. And then, an engine, on fire, separates from a plane...can you imagine a flaming propeller engine falling out of the sky?
- As a mechanic yanks a chunk of mangled iron out of a plane he asks the pilot "What is the matter with you? Did someone throw a train at you or something?"
- It was part of a train. He had just blown up a train.
- Apparently, using colored airmen to fly planes in the war was an experiment.
- A pilot is visiting the house he saw from the air of a lady on the roof. He liiiiiiiiiikes her.
- Aww. Mom is going on the date with them!
- THAT was a sick ass maneuver. Holy balls.
- Oh the destruction...the beautiful fiery destruction...
- I've now heard 4 different slurs for German pilots.
- Best line: "If arrogant is the only word people use to describe me, well, I think I'm making progress."
- He...he just played chicken with a German fighter jet.
July 27, 2016
This movie has the distinction of having the worst-delivered line of all-time: "I sure would like to fly with THOSE red tails!" Watch it for that. Which is a pity, considering how great of a story this could've been.
July 2, 2016
cool movie. good fx.
½ June 2, 2016
Red Tails est un film de guerre à la mode 50s, avec des héros vraiment très bons et des méchants vraiment très méchant, un grand spectacle produit par George Lucas (qui a aussi dirigé les reshoots) qui ressemble beaucoup à Star Wars dans l'esprit bon enfant et dans les combats aériens qui représentent tout de même 60% du métrage. Avec un casting impeccable (David Oyelowo et Nate Parker sont de très bons leads, Andre Royo et Method Man carburent bien en bit players) et des dialogues pas trop agaçants malgré l'amoncellement de clichés inhérents au genre, Red Tails est un divertissement très (trop?) honnête, constamment sympathique et juste assez concis pour éviter la redite.
May 29, 2016
The major problem I have with Red Tails is the fact the writer and director may have had a fact based story to tell, but then proceeded to invent "facts." Yes, the Red Tails were a superlative bomber escort group. Unfortunately, that is where it stops. They did not, as the story would have you believe, invent fighter tactics. They did not shoot down tons of German fighters. The group produced just one fighter ace. They were a good group of flyers doing a difficult job, but they were not exceptional.

Frankly, the only reason this movie was made is because it was about a group of black pilots. I would much rather someone made a movie about Hub Zemke's Wolfpack, the fighter group that established American fighter doctrine and produced the leaders of the fighter war over Europe, than a politically correct, inaccurate movie.
May 9, 2016
George Lucas's passion project bears his clear, and welcome, influence in cinematic composition and the incredible action sequences. On a visceral level, Red Tails boasts some of the most fantastic and impressive dogfighting sequences ever put to film. It's a shame, then, that the excellent cast is let down by a meandering, unfocused script and an atrociously mismatched and anachronistic musical score, but it's still worth watching for representing African American struggles during the war and Lucas's dazzling visual imagination.
March 4, 2016
I really wanted to love this movie. But, sadly, I couldn't. Cheesy dialogue, poor pacing, too many stories that were undeveloped and one dimensional. So much potential for an awesome movie...but this missed the mark.
February 13, 2016
Loved it well worth watching
½ December 18, 2015
A movie simply "going through the motions", which should NEVER be the case in a movie, let alone a war epic.
½ December 16, 2015
So I'm going to add a review.

I'm going to start with a question. Have any of you ever seen a World War II movie? Not like Saving Private Ryan, an actual World War II movie, made during WWII?

That's what this movie is in every way a WWII propaganda movie down to lighting.

Looking at it from that perspective it fits right in with a George Lucas type of flick. Just like Star Wars filled the modern day Saturday morning serial, Red Tails filled the role of propaganda film made 60 years late.
November 14, 2015
I LOVED it soooooooooooo much i LITERALLY have nooo words on how GOOD this MOVIE was!!!!!!!
October 16, 2015
Red tails packs explosive action with great character development. The film realistically tells the story of the world war 2 Tuskegee airmen. It has greatly filmed action scenes of air warfare, the likes of which I haven't seen. It depicts realistic parts of American culture such as racism. It also depicts the German fighter jets in an awesome way. As I said the character development gives a happy feel to the film and it is very comparable with the WW1 themed film, Flyboys. The performances by David Oyelowo, Nate Parker, Cuba Gooding Jr, and Terrence Howard also deserve great recognition.
½ August 26, 2015
A justified WWII story that's generally worth telling through a soaring, spirited ride with nice effects and performances from a nice cast when communicating the fighting military strength finely. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)