Rising Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rising Sun Reviews

September 28, 2016
I always liked this movie. Snipes and Connery make a good duo and it's based off of Michael Crichton novel. Thanks for the refresher NetFlix.
July 30, 2016
What could have been an interesting mystery becomes a convoluted mess. Connery and Snipes are good, but ultimately wasted.
June 21, 2016
Movie started off ok with a good plot. But the film just seemed to drag on and on to a very dissapointing climax if you can even call it a climax. Definetely only a one timer wouldnt watch again and wouldnt reccomend it to anyone.
June 20, 2016
This was back when the Japanese were supposed to buy up and take over America. BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENED.
½ April 7, 2016
90s hollywood-fied. Book was good and made a lot of sense. This movie not so much. Changed the killer and added some unnecessary kung-fu scenes that were just... well they were just terrible. Also if you didn't read the book I bet it was hard as fuck to follow along with what was happening.
June 16, 2015
SUMMARY: Two cops are teamed up to solve a murder at a Japanese corporation. Lt. Webb uses his toughness and John Conner who is also a specialist in Japanese culture uses his wit. REVIEW: In the long line of buddy cop movies I have never seen one like this. It's very different in a way I can't discribe. There's decent action and thrills to keep you interested plus it really keeps you guessing on who the real killer is with it's many twists and turns. One of the problems though is that it does get confusing and you may lose track at what is going on. I really liked Sean Connery in this movie. His wisdom and humor are what bring the entertainment to this movie. Both him and Wesley Snipes are a pretty decent duo and two big enough names to draw your attention to this buddy cop thriller.
May 19, 2015
loved this flick, I sure miss Sean Connery
May 6, 2015
Solid 90s thriller. Could do a lot worse!
April 8, 2015
Connery and Snipes were on such a roll then came this mess of a thriller.
½ February 23, 2015
Somewhat slow movie of Japanese business and murder.
December 30, 2014
It's a fine movie with some very fine paced writing and storytelling of investigation. It totally lacks suspense 80%, but offers several thrills lasting a few moments throughout the different acts of the story. It's unlike any Detective movie I've seen before; I'm not saying it's something new: that it is something I've never seen before because I have and many times actually, but that aside there's something different about this movie to compare with other movies of the 'crime' genre. It manages to explore a fairly good level of investigation with it's two leads, played by an ageing Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes.

It's fair to say the audience may have expected a fair bit of action to be depicted in this 'mystery solving' movie, but it still works well and there's a brief fight moment in the last few minutes of the movie - not good really, but ok.
½ November 24, 2014
Average whodunnit thriller that starts off well and goes downhill. Steve Buscemi seems the only one who either can or bothered to act in this movie. One of the worst Michael Crichton adaptations
½ November 3, 2014
Ein durchschnittlicher Thriller mit guten Darstellern! Der Film hätte durchaus spannend sin können. Doch leider wird es viel zu einfach runtergekurbelt. Sean Connery spielt sehr souverän, obwohl die Rolle nicht zu ihm passt. Auch Wesley Snipes versucht irgendwie mit zuhalten, schafft es aber nicht, der Film auf einer gewissen Höhe zu tragen. Ein gut gemeinter Film mit leider einem zu schwachen Drehbuch!
½ October 25, 2014
Horribly acted, flimsy early 90s murder mystery lacking in suspense and credulity. Other than that it was very impressive.
August 4, 2014
A good mystery film this is Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes were brilliant in this classic Philip Kaufman film.
April 28, 2014
It's all about saving face, occasionally including the truth.
April 18, 2014
Good, taut thriller though somewhat dated.
½ March 8, 2014
Draggy, talky and not very interesting.
January 21, 2014
Decent thriller that purportedly reflects the mood of Americans back then - the Japanese are coming!
October 21, 2013
Japanese subject makes this a fine example for a murder mystery. East and West are bringing a delightful visual and sound motif to the screen that will knock all your senses to a higher plain. The actors are exquisite in their portrayal giving us the most complex of characters. The car chase with the 275mph Vector was the only misstep done by the director. Nibbles: Sushi.