The Santa Clause - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Santa Clause Reviews

July 14, 2017
common sense wise? No.
½ June 8, 2017
The all-time BEST christmas movie of all time. (along with elf) :)
½ June 1, 2017
A charming, fun tale that brings Cris Cringle to life and is most definitely a holiday classic.
½ May 20, 2017
It has a lot of holiday spirit, even if it is confusing sometimes.
½ May 3, 2017
Tim Alan is pretty good in this movie
½ April 9, 2017
This is a pretty good movie
February 25, 2017
I like the movie, :)
January 4, 2017
Oh no! What happens if Santa has an accident? Little Charlie Calvin's dad turns into Santa Claus and needs Charlie's help to deliver presents on Christmas Eve. For kids who believe in Santa, this movie apparently explains a LOT. My younger kid was enthusiastically telling me how it all works after watching this one. And asking a lot of "Does Santa..." questions.
January 1, 2017
Weird & lacking in sense, but nice.
December 26, 2016
Funny and decent Christmas movie.
December 26, 2016
Lovely little film...
½ December 25, 2016
At the time of this film's release, Tim Allen was on fire and could do no wrong. He had the #1 movie, with this one of course, topped the New York Times best-selling list and had the #1 show on television. And this happened within the time span of one week. Like imagine how improbable that is for one person in their entire lifetime. Now imagine that it happened to one person in the span of a week. Whatever you may think of Allen, and I'll certainly get into that, it's certainly a very impressive feat no matter how you slice it. As far as Tim Allen is concerned, I'll be honest, I never liked the guy that much to begin with. I mean, yes, I certainly enjoyed Home Improvement in parts, but Tim's character and performances were all very similar from one another. And the nature of sitcoms, at least in the past, were to blame. No actual effort was put into legitimate character development, they'd just rely on the same old and tired jokes about Al's (his co-worker) mom's weight. Or time grunting like an ape. Or Tim hitting his head on a pipe every time he went to the basement. And, continuing with the honesty, Tim Allen never did much for me as a comedic actor. I'm not saying he was bad or anything, like there were certain lines and how he delivered them with fairly quick timing that made me laugh, but I find Tim to be a little bland honestly. And he seems like one of those guys that's putting on an act, like Kevin James, where he might seem likable in his movies, but he's really a major asshole to his fans if they ever got to meet him. With that said, the movie was perfectly. My thing with Christmas movies is that, realistically, a great percentage of them, like say 80%, are absolutely no fucking good. And this one isn't any different but, at the very least, by the very low-standard of Christmas movies, this one an outright masterpiece. Even if it's an average movie by everyone else's standards. The concept, actually, is a fairly good one when you take into consideration that this boils down to a corny Christmas movie. I'm sure you've all heard of this film by now, so let's not bore you with the details. Tim Allen kills Santa Claus and he has take over the job. Simple and to the point. I will say, though, that my favorite parts of the movie were when Tim first takes the job and how angry he is at the whole thing. The whole concept of a cynical Santa Claus, done later to much better effect in Bad Santa, was a good one, but they obviously couldn't run with it seeing that this was a Disney movie after all. And they wanted a family-friendly affair. The more the film settles into a standard family movie, the more spark that it loses. There's a subplot here where Tim's son's mother, and stepfather, feel that Scott, Tim's character, feels that he is a negative influence on his own son. All because of the fact that he pretends that he is Santa Claus. They want Charles, the son, to grow up with a grounded look at reality, where his imagination isn't allowed to run wild. Essentially, they don't want the kid to believe it Santa Claus. It's about as absurd as it can get, but it's how they chose to tell their story. I mean, would any parent out there really hold that against someone? To the point that they actually want VISITATION rights taken away because of it. It's ridiculous. But, again, that's what they wanted their story to be like. The film looks at how Scott's slow transformation to Santa Claus affects him and those around him. It's simple, but it's sporadically entertaining. There comes a point where, after Scott has his visitation rights revoked, that he kidnaps, perhaps not violently, but he does kidnap his own son. And the fact that, at the end, that fact was so grievously ignored was something to see. It doesn't matter if the guy is Santa or not. Kidnapping is still kidnapping, even if the son wants to go with him. Again, Disney movie so they couldn't explore the actual consequences of Scott's actions. They just wave their magic wand and do away with whatever Scott may have done. The acting is solid. Like I said, Allen gives off the appearance of being likable and that does a lot to help the movie. The little kid who plays his son isn't really that good, but you can't really expect much. The rest of the cast is fine, particularly David Krumholtz, who was already really good at this stage and he was only like 16 when the movie came out. But the majority of the movie is about Tim and his son, so none of the supporting characters really get that much of a chance to shine. The movie has the typically corny Christmas ending, where everyone ends up happily ever after. So if that's your cup of tea, then this movie will be right up your alley. As far as I'm concerned, this movie is nothing but average at best. It's better than I would have expected, but not by much. I'm sure this will be a bigger hit with a large family than it would with just me, so take that into consideration. Wouldn't recommend it, but there's worse ways to spend a night.
December 22, 2016
this movie is a classic!!!
½ December 21, 2016
The film has its moments of fun. It starts off slowly, kinda stumbles around trying to find the plot device. By the time you get to the better parts 25% into the movie, you are probably bored. Not the greatest christmas movie, and only marginally more entertaining or worse than Elf.
December 17, 2016
Doesn't work well as a comedy or as a film. Also starts on a bizarre premise. C-
December 17, 2016
This movie was a staple of my childhood holiday viewing. I've seen it god knows how many times, but eventually I stopped and haven't watched it all the way through for at least 10 years or so. Watching it again...honestly, it really holds up. It's not quite as funny as I used to think it was (but that may just be because I've seen it so many times), some of the effects are a little dated, and there are a couple pretty stupid moments, but it's got such an infectious amount of charm and Christmas spirit I really enjoyed watching it again. I really like the idea behind the story of a regular man becoming Santa. I love how sarcastic and cynical he is about it at first, with his first night as Santa still having some laughs for me, but how he eventually succumbs to spirit of Christmas. I also love how his kid is the one who really makes him come around to all of it. Speaking of his kid, this is a really good kid actor and some really accurate kid dialogue. It's still very PG Disney kid dialogue making it a bit more innocent and clean than kids really are, but in terms of PG Disney dialogue it's about as accurate to how kids actually talk as you could get. Not much more I can say about this one, it's a fairly simple story but it knows what it is and it's got the charm and Christmas spirit to make it a classic.
½ December 10, 2016
The Santa Clause (1994) - Is a Interesting concept. I really do like the idea on what happens if any normal person were to step into the boots of jolly old Saint Nick Himself. The film does have a lot of fun with that fact and it can lead to some funny and magical situations. The film does start out kinda slow with establishing characters and building up to the call of adventure. I mean I get it that they want to start out introducing things but I found that part of the movie to be kinda boring and sometimes a little unbearable. However once Santa fall off the roof, things really start to get better and it becomes the imaginative and hilarious movie that will have you inner child jumping up and down with Christmas spirit. I love the set designs of the north pole and I find it to be an interesting twist that they used kids to play the elves instead of little people. Some of the ideas they have are very cool I especially like when Scott Calvin is under the Santa Clause and weird hilarious things start happening with him. Most of the jokes in the movie get a laugh, others might not but even those jokes are at least trying to be funny. The characters might take some time to like especially Scott Calvin but over time I think you'll learn to like the characters even if some can act kinda awkward at points. Overall The Santa Clause is a good Christmas movie. With it's Imaginative premise and it's impress set designs it is truly a movie that I recommend to check out. Sure it does have it's stupid moments and it can get a little Hallmarky but I think the majority of the movie left me thinking like a kid again and i hope that everyone who sits down to watch this movie will feel the same way. (B)
December 8, 2016
Oh I just watched it sometimes.
½ December 3, 2016
It's silly, but it's supposed to be. The Santa Clause finds Tim Allen in fine form and is one of the most underappreciated Christmas films.