Schindler's List - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Schindler's List Reviews

April 26, 2017
The black-and-white aesthetic seemed like a gimmick from a distance, but my inference in that choice was beyond capturing the look of World War II. The cinematography, general pacing, and acting are all of contemporary taste, so the colour scheme acts more as an indispensable coat of despair than as a reminder of the time period. Trust me, the subject of the Holocaust is enough of a reminder. No one will deny the horror that surrounds the Holocaust, not even the mad deniers. From my perspective, only hearing about it through history books, I have trouble in grasping just how atrocious the situation was. The need to bargain that things are better than they could be, the fear of one single slip risking your entire life (or worse, as Helen Hirsch (Embeth Davidtz), your life is taken away on a random whim), the lone wolf attitude such an environment dares to push onto you, despite such strong cultural identity in the entire community. Comprehending even this much is difficult, and director Steven Spielberg is aware of this. That is why he tells this primarily from the perspective of Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), a high-profiting factory owner whose membership to the Nazi Party does not interfere with a good relationship and trade with the Jewish community. For his ghost businessperson, he even hires a Jew, Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley, who magically maintains arresting my attention, despite never breaking out of a timid, humble nature). There is far too much in the movie to touch on in what should be a capsule review, so I will say this: Schindler's List is not only the definitive Holocaust movie. It may well be the definitive Hollywood historical drama. Three hours and sixteen minutes, with not one minute wasted. That is not a miracle. That is craftsmanship, particularly in knowing when to change the lens.(i.e., character of focus) in a scene.
April 26, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie directed by one of the best directors of all time Steven Spielberg and starring Liam nesson, the guy who it's ok at acting today but this movie made me think differently about him as an actor as a whole. The story is fantastic and shows us the audience about world war 2 and one man who saved hundreds of Jewish people and helped instead of letting them all die. Mr schuindler is a hero even to me , even though I'm not Jewish, I felt bad for them during world war II. Just everything in this movie was good, no slow moments and I was shocked by the running time of this film, 3 hours of pure education and learning what happened back then and showed pretty much everything.
April 19, 2017
Spielberg' main masterpiece
April 9, 2017
Schindler's list starts out like a one man's climb to wealth, Oskar Schindler, sees that he has a great positon while the Nazis are in power and he believed and for a time succeeded at making money off of the mess that the Nazis bought. He started out making small things, like utensils but that turned into other things later in life. Some time passes and the concentration camps are becoming more prominent, and clearly now Schindler learns that the conditions on these camps, one camp in particular) are terrible and that many Jewish people could die. Schindler spends the remainder of WWII trying to keep his employees out of these camps and trying to keep as many Jewish people as he possible could out off the camps and therefore out of danger. He ended up losing more money that he made but it was to save lives and it was the best choice he could have ever made. Watching this movie was so hard for me, I was heartbroken at times but also I was extremely surprised to see how things turned out, I like to think that I live a blessed life and I try not to complain too much about the things that don't really matter but this movie really makes me think about life and how there is no way to tell where it is going or who will be there to help you or hurt you. When watching this movie one had to think about the idea of the holocaust from a Jewish person point of view and he extremely relevant it is to them and their culture. For a Jewish person, there really is no such thing as a new awakening or a spiral of consciences because this is a part of their culture, today Jewish people and non-Jewish people acknowledge the holocaust for what it was but at the same time only one group will ever really be effected by it.
½ April 8, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 5 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 5 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 4 | Makeup & Hairstyling 4 | Scenic Design 5 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects 4

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 5

#Overall (1~10): 9
½ April 7, 2017
Spielberg is an undeniably great filmmaker, but what his work often lacks is subtlety. He likes to work in big, broad populist strokes, and his approach works best when applied to adventure films like the Indiana Jones series. When he applies his craft to dramatic subject matter, he often lets down the material. This is remarkably not true of "Schindler's List". In telling the story of a morally lax, greedy opportunist who sets out to profit from the circumstances of the Holocaust, but ends up spending his entire fortune and risking his life to save hundreds of Jews who worked for him, Spielberg lets events speak for themselves and avoids crass manipulation. This is one of his best films and possibly the best popular, mainstream film about the Holocaust.
April 4, 2017
This is pretty much Steven Spielberg's cinematic coming of age. It hits every element perfectly and it's a masterpiece. The movie is not afraid to be highly brutal and it does an amazing job showing us the ugliness of the concentration camps. All movies of this genre should not be afraid to have this element of brutality and Schindler's List does it perfectly. It does a great job making us care for Schindler and I can tell that Spielberg really cared for him and his actions. It's a very powerful film and the fact that this was based on a true story only strengthens the emotional power. The fact that it was shot in black and white undoubtedly gives it more power and emotion. Saying this movie was expertly shot would be an understatement. I've never seen a film shot better then this. This is a one of a kind film and we may never see it duplicated. It hits all the elements perfectly and succeeds in every way. This is one of the best movies of all time and it must be watched.
April 3, 2017
That wasn't very funny.
March 27, 2017
This Was Roger Ebert's And Gene Siskel's Best Film Of 1993.
March 26, 2017
Masterpiece of Steven Spielberg
½ March 23, 2017
Best Movie I ever seen after Life Is Beautiful
March 11, 2017
Schindler's List (1993) and The Shawshank Redemption (1994) are, as of now, only two movies that I would rate 5 stars. A masterpiece from Steven Spielberg.
February 28, 2017
Steven Spielberg's gripping masterpiece is a true tearjerker. Personally, I think "Schindler's List" is the greatest movie to ever win Best Picture.
February 23, 2017
Brought me tears?I felt the pain
February 22, 2017
A heartbreaking, fake movie about a heartbreakingly real tragedy. Mandatory viewing for empathetic strengthening.
February 20, 2017
I love Spielberg. Even though it was black and white, it didn't matter. It was very emotional to watch.
February 19, 2017
Schindler's List is a testimony to the magic Spielberg has as a director. For a film over three hours it never disappoints due to the pacing and the fact that there is always something happening whether it be Schindler plotting business with Stern or Goeth sniping away Jews for sport. One of it's biggest attractions for myself is how polar opposite Liam Neeson's Oskar Schindler is in comparison to Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth. There is an emotionally devastating scene where Schindler explains to Goeth that power is not superiority but in fact the opposite. Then Goeth attempts to peruse Schindler's interpretation if power only to resort back to his savage slaughter of Jews. The plot allows the audience to take part in their own interpretation of the horror on screen by not using cheap tactics with music or jump cuts but instead showing it in it's gruesome obscenity. It is the greatest film to depict the holocaust due to it's ability to tell an incredibly entertaining character driven story as well as a documentary type look on what should never happen again. What's really great about it is that there is never any censorship used to maintain a rating of any kind. It shows extremely graphic violence and nudity in such a realistic way that for certain moments of the film I lost myself in the brutality like I was experiencing it myself. As far as the cast goes I was incredibly impressed with the chemistry certain members of the cast had, particularly Liam Neeson's business scenes with Ben Kingsley and especially Ralph Fiennes' romantic but at times depressing scenes with Embeth Davidtz. In conclusion Schindler's List is a masterpiece of film and realistic depiction. It's easily a five star film and perhaps Spielberg's greatest film.
February 15, 2017
Schindler's List is epic and Fantastic. It's about War and passion I give 100%!
Bradley T. Johnson
February 10, 2017
So vivid. So necessary. So powerful is Schindler's List it may be the most important film for every human to watch. And yet the film's brutal atmosphere may make it difficult to some to handle. This film is an experience. It puts the audience through the emotional wringer. It engulfs you with its accurate depiction of the Holocaust that the audience can't help but feel thankful for the lives that we live today. Steven Spielberg masterfully directs the film which is a sprawling three hours, but not a minute is wasted. The film is wholly involving depicting the terror and even occasional dark humor of the period, although laughing in a movie like this seems highly wrong. The film wraps itself up with some potently emotional scenes that highlight Liam Neeson's fantastic acting and a tribute to the man responsible for saving so many. Schindler's List is not easy cinema in the least, but it is masterful and very vital for those to view and remember a past that we'd be lucky never to experience. Rating: 95
February 5, 2017
Brilliant movie very touching gut wrenching and sad .a true story.stephen Spielberg made an amazing film