Schindler's List - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Schindler's List Reviews

July 16, 2017
I can't remember a time before this where a movie left me sobbing. Its a masterpiece.
½ July 16, 2017
It's a collective punishment of those who where not part of any war.
July 16, 2017
Absolute masterpiece, the film that put Liam niesson on the map. If you watch the last scene and don't have tears in your eyes you are not human..."I could've done more"...
July 13, 2017
Spielberg is a propagandist for sure, just witness the travesty that was Lincoln. But Schindler's List transcends politics to create a beautiful and mechanically flawless showcase of inhuman cruelty - indeed, man at his most profane and evil. Spielberg is the Leni Riefenstahl of his day, but in contrast to her, worshiped for his good vs evil simplicity.

Most of Steven Spielberg's films are popcorn entertainment, and in many ways, Schindler's List could be considered the popcorn holocaust film. However, I was in awe the way Spielberg masterfully played his audience. He shot the film as an artist, and with 25% of the sentimentality any other filmmaker would have used. More importantly, he used his technical skills to create a brutal and harrowing vision of Nazi atrocities in a way no other abstract thinker could possibly have done. Stanley Kubrick and Terry Gilliam once said that Spielberg failed to make a true masterpiece, because "Schindler's List was about success...the holocaust was about failure." However, to me, this just makes Spielberg a success. How anyone could make a holocaust backdrop as an inspiring story of humanity is nothing short of genius. Spielberg earns the highest honor-he's Leni Riefenstahl good. And thank God he uses his talent for good and not evil.

What I Learned: I think this movie really showed me how to present a narrative about death and despair in a mainstream way. I've always struggled with how to present such terrible visions that need to be heard, to an audience that wants to be entertained. It's not about compromise, the Propaganda Master said to me. It's about proper focus.
July 12, 2017
This movie is a classic, however its bored me. Ive read and watched a lot about the holocaust, and this didnt really grab my attention. i understand they wanted to make it look old fashioned, hint, the black and white, but that kinf of threw me off as well. i have respect for this movie and i undestand what it represents, but i certainly did not like it, nor was i entertained by it.
July 10, 2017
Slow, long, depressing, but beautifully made, Schindler's List is a classic.
June 30, 2017
Es digno de mención el cómo una película tan supuestamente dramática como esta es capaz de hacerte reir o sentir terror en diferentes momentos y eso es gracias a un gran guión y a la mano ejecutora de Spielberg. No es de extrañar que sea uno de los grandes.

Y si bien este clásico moderno suyo no me llego a impresionar tanto como yo esperaba, no se puede negar el excelente trabajo de las partes integrantes. Desde las magníficas actuaciones de su reparto, encabezado por Liam Neelson, hasta el genial trabajo de fotografía y edición.

¿Un gran clásico? Sin duda.
June 23, 2017
Truly a masterpiece by Speilberg.
June 21, 2017
One of the most emotional and the most dramatic movie i've ever seen.Again a great prod. from Spielberg.Hilarious performances by Liam and Ralph.A wonderful soundtrack !
June 21, 2017
Touching, inspiring, sad, emotional. All of these words can describe Steven Spielberg masterpiece about the holocaust. Schindler's List is a well made film. With all of the actors delivering terrific roles especially Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth, Ben Kinsley as Itzhalk Stern, and Liam Neeson as Oskar Shindler. One of the, if not, most powerful movies ever created.
June 20, 2017
Powerful and telling of one of the worst crimes in human history, Spielberg's grim tale of the despair and suffering of those persecuted during the Holocaust is a haunting tour-de-force that shows Spielberg at his absolute best. This masterpiece describes the very nature of what makes us compassionate beings, and illustrates brilliantly what can happen to demean an individual as those who genuinely believed in their work as members of the Nazi regime.
½ June 17, 2017
I have never been one to praise Steven Spielberg at the mere mention of his name. If I'm with everyone (including myself), Steven Spielberg isn't that amazing. He's made a few timeless classics, but everything else is just like any other average film. For this one, though, I will give Spielberg all the praise people seem to think he deserves.

At 3 hours and 15 minutes, Schindler's List is easily one of the longest films I've seen in my relatively short lifetime. Honestly, I don't believe the plot starts until an hour in. Somehow, the riveting storytelling here keeps me compelled to watch every second. I just can't miss a frame. Even better, Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley's were so poignant. Every line was spoken with a certain level of emotion perfect for the scene. The characters were easy enough to like. It made this movie so much more heart-wrenching.

One of the most brilliant yet basic parts of this movie is that nearly every scene was filmed in black and white. It gave it a timey feel, as if the viewer was really there watching this disturbing tale unfold. I would recommend this movie to everyone. Whether you watch it for the brilliant filmmaking or the historical aspect of it all, it is a must-see.
½ June 4, 2017
A really well produced film - this title undoubtedly shows that Spielberg can make valid, immersive and moving cinema with all kinds of story angles and beautiful production values to boot. Admittedly, the film is somewhat downbeat as it focuses on a Polish businessman that employs Jewish labour during the tragedy and mindless violence of WWII but also the film commands a fairly large cast and is one of the best films of its type, additionally one of the best releases of it's decade
June 4, 2017
Amazing. Heart-rending. A must see!
½ May 28, 2017
This movie serves as a potent reminder us of how we could always show more empathy, especially in the face of social swarming.
½ May 26, 2017
Schindler?s List is a very awkward movie to talk about and review. It seems that the film is so deeply entwined with its subject matter that to criticize it is almost equivalent to condoning these actions from the past. I will say that there is a lot of stuff that is extremely effective in Schindler?s List. It is emotionally resonant and conveys the darkness of those times. There are many scenes that are uncomfortable to watch, but it appears this is intentional by Spielberg as he expresses the horrible nature of this moment in history.

Liam Neeson is just fine as Oskar Schindler. I wouldn?t say he delivered much that stood out as special in the performance, but he crushes that final scene. Ralph Fiennes plays a horrible Nazi officer, and he sells that character brilliantly. It?s more than just his despicable actions, but the facial expressions and body language plays into the evil of the character as well. Then there?s Ben Kingsley who can do no wrong, in my opinion. He plays the role of Schindler?s bookkeeper well, and you can see how he would be able to influence his boss and earn his respect.

Schindler?s List is very long at more than 3 hours and, while it?s hard to say that extra time is not necessary, it certainly seems drawn out occasionally. I think part of the problem is when the movie fails to focus in on Schindler?s endeavors, and it takes a more macro view of the Holocaust. These scenes set a tone and inform us of what is happening (and how life for Jews is getting progressively worse) but we don?t totally see the connection between that and what Schindler is doing. Also I see no real purpose in the heavy emphasis on Schindler?s love life, because that all seemed superfluous..

The choice to film in black-and-white is an interesting one. I wonder sometimes if Schindler?s List would be a bit more effective at conveying the horrible nature of the gore if the blood were red and we had to witness the real trauma inflicted on the people. However, the black-and-white does lend the movie a documentary feel which works well for this kind of historical drama. The score is haunting, and conveys a perfect tone to the movie. I can?t say I was totally enamored with Schindler?s List, but it?s a tough one to watch so that?s not really a surprise. I definitely respect it, though, and think in many aspects it truly is a masterpiece.
May 7, 2017
Schindler's List is a film, that, when I studied the Holocaust in my Junior year of High School, I was able to watch. Out of all the films I've watched about the Holocaust, Schindler's List is arguably the best. It combines the horror of the Nazi treatment of Jews during World War II with very effective storytelling.
May 4, 2017
A story that shows the real life horrors of the holocaust, and a real life story of the Second World War. And a brave man who wasted everything for human sake. Liam Neeson gives the most outstanding performance any actor can give, and a beautiful picture. 10 out of 10
May 4, 2017
This kosher chef d'oeuvre woven of the abject Holocaust horror monstrosity is one of those Hollywood's towering not big-league but highly transcendent movies ever made!
April 30, 2017
A beautiful, draining masterpiece.