Shah-re ziba (The Beautiful City) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shah-re ziba (The Beautiful City) Reviews

November 27, 2013
interesting perspective and debate on the nature of love and forgiveness.
½ March 29, 2013
What is it about Iranians that help them make such awesome films.
August 5, 2012
does not disappoint, I saw this because I thought his more recent film Une Separation was terrific. A very human, very natural drama that builds on an unpromising beginning and makes you think about what "Islamic" justice really is. A strong woman\s film, too. Recommended.
½ March 20, 2012
After seeing another one of Asghar Farhadi's films its become clear that he is extremely interested in the moral ambiguities of society, particularly pertaining to Iran. Beautiful City is a penetrating exploration into the intricacies of Iran's judicial system which explores many different themes. The film centers around an 18 year old boy, Akhbar, whose on the cusp of being executed for the murder of a girl when he was 16. Akhbar's best friend and sister try to convince the father of the slain girl to consent that Akhbar receive a second chance in life. The film does an exceptional job of balancing the various well-dimensioned characters whose actions and emotions all feel natural rather than just serving the plot. No character in this film is a bad guy, but they all have their own emotions and desires that are portrayed in an honest and un-biased way. A lot of times when a story has so many rich, multi-layered characters the film becomes unfocused but this is far from the case her. Beautiful City tackles the battle between retribution and forgiveness and the ramifications/moral repercussions that exist in religion and society with a very controlled, poetic approach. I really found myself deeply invested in the various characters, particularly A'la, whose determination to save his friend from execution was emotionally exhausting. It's extremely well acted, well-written and sharp with an emotional resonance which stays with the viewer far after the credits.
December 13, 2010
IF I CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT SAYS THEN I DONT WANT TO WATCH IT..SORRY
July 26, 2010
I liked it more than "About Elly"
May 9, 2010
?ذا ا????? ?ح?? ع? شاب ?? ا?ثا??ة عشر ?ح??? ع??? با?إعدا? /صد??? ا?ذ? ?ا? ?ع? ?? ا?سج? ?حا?? أ? ?جع? ا?أب ا?ذ? ?ت?ت إب?ت? ?سا?ح?/?صة ج???ة ب?? أب ?ا ?ستط?ع أ? ??س? إب?ت? ? ?ا ?ستط?ع أ? ?غ?ر ? صد?? ?ر? ?? ??ت صد??? ظ?? بعد أ? تاب ع? ?ع?ت?
Harlequin68
May 3, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]In "Beautiful City", Akbar(Hossein Farzi-Zadeh) has just turned 18 which should be cause for celebration but is not since he is serving time for killing his girlfriend in a botched murder-suicide and is now eligible for the death penalty. His pal in the juvenile detention center, A'La(Babak Ansari), seeks early release to plead his case and finds the easiest way is to start behaving himself. Upon release, he plans to go with Akbar's sister, Firoozeh(Taraneh Alidoosti), to ask the victim's father, Abolghassem(Faramarz Gharibian), for his consent in commuting the sentence. She has already made her case, only to be punched in the face for her trouble. The father is getting tired of the constant petitions, so he asks the court if there is any way to speed up the proceedings. There is if he is willing to pay blood money to make up the cost between the woman who was killed and the man who will be executed.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Beautiful City" is a very effectively told tale, not only about how women are treated in Iran but universal themes including forgiveness, vengeance and the death penalty. My only complaint about the movie is that it does tend to get confusing in the second half when different offers are made. Plus, it was a little hard at times trying to understand the labyrinthine Iranian judicial system. [/font]
June 15, 2009
A art-house glimpse of Iranian society surrounding punishment with some emphasis on the act of blood money to prevent executions.
The few Iranians films I have seen, this one certainly is good, painful to watch at times, but worth every frame .
mvieaddict
½ May 17, 2009
At first, the film's set-up was primitive, and there seems to be no importance on the crime itself. The lead characters all claim that their friend, a murderer, "doesn't deserve to die", but this was never proved, why. But as the film proceeds, it becomes clear that this is not the point: instead we see how the final verdict was put in the hands of the dead girl's father,.The Killer fate is passed now onto those, the father and also those who must plead with him for clemency. The father who still could not deal with his grief. The film's represented also the role of women in an Islamic society, which was also sensitive and interesting to see. The abrupt ending concludes a quiet tragedy that delivers more than is promised at the start.
Thank you my friend for this good movie recommendation, most movies of Iran showed till now, not to be disappointed.
February 15, 2009
Less universal than those Iranian movies feted in the West over the past decade, it's premised on the (somewhat arcane) idea of blood money, used to grease the wheels of the country's legal system; the sheer amount of poring over the Koran this necessitates probably explains why the film bypassed UK cinemas and premiered on television in the early hours of a Sunday morning. Still, there's humour here, and Farhadi elicits accomplished performances from a young cast adept at carrying off the tough decisions that come with growing up. A persuasive sketch of a country making the slow, sometimes painful transition from archaic, eye-for-an-eye law to a more enlightened, forgiving way of thinking - although the downbeat finale leaves us in no doubt that this modernisation can't come quickly enough.
February 8, 2009
wow what a movie 2 watch..i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that both taraneh alidoosti n faramarz gharibian play good parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this Drama, Art House & International movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...its a good foreign movie its a good Drama, Art House & International movie 2 watch
February 8, 2009
Complicated but intriguing look at social justice, punishment and redemption in modern day Iran with good genuine performances.
January 6, 2009
it's boring but as Iranian films go, it's actually not that bad
½ December 31, 2008
Yet another outstanding Iranian film. Socially significant, heartbreaking, and evocative. The ending was such a welcome departure from the norm:)
½ September 17, 2008
This Iranian foreign movie was very touching! I never thought I would ever feel compassion for a murderer but this movie made me see how a lack of forgiveness can ruin your life. My eyes were glued to the TV screen the entire time, as I didn't want to miss a word. I really wanted to see a more definitive ending, though. Did Akbar get executed? Did his friend marry Akbar's sister?
February 17, 2008
An excellent Iranian film encapsulating cultural, social, legal, economic and other difficulties that arise from the friendship of two boys: Akbar & A'la in rehabilitation. A'la is soon to be freed while Akbar awaits execution and in short time that remains A'la tries his utmost to gains a pardon from the father whose daughter Akbar had killed.
½ June 18, 2007
a very curious movie. although i'm not the biggest fan of religion, i really liked how all of the romance in this movie definitely stayed within sharia. the two characters, although flawed, respected one another. it talk me a lot about persian culture, society, and just selflessness.this could be a tear-jerker, but i believe that it had a happy ending.