Skyfall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skyfall Reviews

June 26, 2017
This is my favourite Bond film. It has a great plot, villain, plot and action scenes. Daniel Craig is great and the movie is perfect for the 50th anniversary.

9.6/10
June 25, 2017
A
Skyfall is the best 007 of all time. It delivers a great story as well as awesome characters. Craig once again brings his A game making a case to be the best Bond ever. This Bond felt different from the rest because it had more of of the personal story of Bond. It wasn't just another mission. This is a must see of 2012.
June 20, 2017
I thought Mendes did a great job of creating suspense and tension in the movie. I haven't liked a Bond movie this much in 35 years. Very good Bond movie.
June 18, 2017
Javier Bardem steals the show in this return to form for Craig's portrayal as James Bond. With strong characters and script, Skyfall reveals more about Bond's past as he is on his path back to redemption after a hiatus.
June 9, 2017
"Sam Mendes" didnt disappoint me ;) An amazing directed film !!! The beginning was the best chase scene ever ! Daniel Craig: THE BEST BOND EVER!
June 9, 2017
Impressive for its balancing acts Skyfall manages to be one of the most intelligent entries in the series and one of the most accessible at the same time. It seems a little strange to go from Bond's two-part origin story to a film that considers whether he is over-the-hill, but it was a wise move allowing the reboot to continue its trend of taking the franchise to new places and of deeper exploration of the character. In this case a discussion of whether the character and series are still relevant that is supremely well-handled balanced so that it doesn't get in the way of the story or become too pretentious. Craig does a Bond past his best as well as he did a fresh-faced, brand-new Bond and while the acting of his allies and enemies is some of the best seen in the series, Craig clearly carries the film and it's hard to imagine it working without him.
Another impressive balance is between being probably the most radically different Bond film in terms of structure and plot and still feeling like a Bond film. After Casino Royale stripped away many classic Bond elements, Skyfall resurrects a lot of them; things that were completely unexpected within the more realistic world of the rebooted 007 are weaved in, admittedly sometimes the seams show, but mostly they are achieved in clever ways that work in the context. Overall Skyfall makes for a fitting 50th anniversary celebration of the cinematic James Bond.
½ June 6, 2017
the 3rd best bond film
June 3, 2017
Melhor filme de todos os tempos.
½ May 31, 2017
'SKYFALL' was directed by Sam Mendes and stars Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem and Judi Dench. ?When a cyber terrorist steals a list of active MI6 agent names and bombs the MI6 offices, it's up to James Bond(Daniel Craig) to thwart this terrorists plan and stop him from releasing any more names to the public.

This movie is god damn awesome. This was Mendes' first crack at a Bond movie and is BY FAR one of the best Bond movies ever made. Forget that 'Quantum of Solace' trash; this is Bond in his alcoholic prime and by God is it amazing. Daniel Craig is still one of the best Bond's and really sells the depressing, broken aspect of his character. Skyfall is probably the best shot Bond movie and looks visually stunning in every single sense of the word. This is a very character driven story and I love how well it was written. That said, in typical Bond fashion(for me at least), all the scenes and set pieces don't feel connected despite the fact that they are. In spite of this minor hurdle, this movie is a blast from start to finish and contains all the great action to feed action junkies, but also supplies a heartfelt story for people who actually care about plot. I know it's 2017 and no one cares about PLOT(what a childish thing) but for those of us with more than one brain cell, the story is great and possibly the Best Bond plot but I can't say for sure.

Javier Bardem is like that creepy priest you saw when you went to church that one time. He'll sometimes crack a joke(which you'll laugh at just to comfort him) but at the end of the day, he's just gonna try and get you alone in a church after dark. Regardless, Bardem provides a chilling performance and actually makes Bardem's motivations make sense. Silva was also a great Bond villain and proved to be a great foil for Bond and worked well in today's current computer/hacked based climate. Judi Dench provides a heartfelt performance as the wonderful M and makes M the heart and soul of the movie. Ben Winshaw was a great choice for Q and aligning Q with the current computer based climate was also a genius idea. That said, both Ralph Fiennes and Naomie Harris' roles in this movie were kind of pointless. Not to say that their performances were lacklustre but their actual character and purpose made no sense.

This is the most visually stunning Bond. Every shot is masterfully composed and lit. Every scene is masterfully edited and directed. Every frame of this movie provides atmosphere and makes this movie a true joy to behold.

This movie's action was outstanding and it brings back all the classic Bond-isms. Despite that, the Bond Girl was completely useless and the Bond car was virtually non-existent(aside from a mini segment). I'm not saying this takes away from the movie but if you're gonna include them, at least go all in and try to make them interesting.

Skyfall is probably the best Bond song. Say what you want about Adele or even this movie but you cannot die that song is incredible and the lyrics actually have meaning instead of just filler.

Skyfall is one of the best Bond films. It's beautifully shot, well acted, masterfully directed and deserves a spot on the Bond hall of fame. Javier Bardem is one of the best Bond Villains and Skyfall is one of the best Bond songs. All in all, this movie is well worth a watch for old and new fans alike and I'll rate this movie 9 out of 10 Creepy Priests.
½ May 30, 2017
The best Bond...fast, smart, exotic. Bardem's Silva is a powerful villain, the stakes are real and Bond is pushed to his limits. The script is smart, the characters are fully-realized, the action is the perfect amount of over-the-top, the nostalgia is not over-done, and the film does not disappoint.
May 30, 2017
Make no mistake when I say this is my favourite film of all time. It's a perfect balance of action, comedy, easter eggs and stunning visuals. Every shot is carefully considered along with the dialog. Put it this way, I saw it at the cinemas 3 times and have watched it at least 2 times every year since it's release.
½ May 28, 2017
A departure from past Bond films, in a very good way. Very exciting and intense. Most certainly the best looking Bond film, thanks to Roger Deakins.
May 28, 2017
Well...THIS was a welcome surprise. I miss the traditional Iris opening though.
½ May 24, 2017
For a franchise turning 50, Skyfall is a surprising and amazing acheivement. Too often in my last 20 years of film-going, have I gone to watch the latest 007 adventure, only to be somewhat disappointed by how the films rest on their laurels while subtly creating the illusion that they are moving with the times. This constant push and pull has resulted in some confused stories and occasionally (The World Is Not Enough, Casino Royale) I have not seen the latest installment until the DVD release down at Video Vision (a great little rental store which has now closed down). Daniel Craig's third Bond film however, was a different story and I walked away from the cinema feeling like I had seen something familiar but truly unique. A familiar theme in the Bond series when efforts are made to shake up the formula is the one where Bond goes AWOL and becomes a rogue agent, resigning or being told to hand over the Walter PPK. This plot device has been used in You Only Live Twice, OHMSS, Licence To Kill, Die Another Day, Casino Royale, and now Skyfall. What is different about this film though is the effort that has gone into making the most perfect Bond film that can be made in these times. Craig made an immediate impression in Casino Royale and the follow up but Skyfall is where he truly owns the role. His physical agility is only matched by his steely doggedness as the superspy. Skyfall is also one of the best looking Bond films with some stunning cinematography, cooly-lit scenes, and enough nostalgia to satisfy the purists. Some humour has returned as well, especially during Bond's exchanges with the villain Silva (Jarvier Bardem). Thankfully, the recurring MI5 characters Q and Moneypenny have returned too. Judi Dench again plays Bond's superior M and this is her most emotionally invested performance. Her scenes with Bond have an emotional quality rarely seen in Bond films. Skyfall does quote many scenes from classic Bond films but unlike Brosnan's Die Another Day, it never does this in an obvious, tacky way.This may be attributable to director Sam Mendes whose stylish touch has given us something we never thought we would see again- a Bond installment that is also a great film.
May 21, 2017
Thrilling and Intense.
May 16, 2017
An instant classic for Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes, an all out over the top seriously entertaining film for everyone!
May 16, 2017
An excellent finale for a series that's far from ending. Every scene is unique, with the film starting off focused around having flashy and visually eccentric action sequences and progressively becoming more personal and real as the story progresses. And the overall tone of is a perfect reflection of what Bond has become as a character. In "Casino Royal" he was just starting to dip his toes into the waters of espionage, and the film was fast and wild because of it. But here he's been swimming around for a long time, and his toes are incredibly pruned. The movie is hardly prune-ey, obviously. But there'sā?? a definite jaded edge to it. Maybe toes and water weren't the best analogy, but either way "Skyfall" is the perfect film to end Daniel Craig's run as Bond. There is another film that succeeds this one, and possibly some more after that if his contract doesn't expire. But it still feels like the end of an era. A very fitting final, not-final installment.
May 13, 2017
when I first watched it, it didn't look like a James bond movie.
May 4, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: 'Skyfall' is not only one of the most ambitious films of the decade, but amazingly, it's also one of the most succesful. Yes what Mendes decided to do with his first Bond movie was naturally something un-conventional, and the way in which all these cogs turn to create such an incredible and interesting experience is frankly unprecedented.

Now what he did so well of course was to build a set of narratives that challenge the audience to look deeper and decide for themselves where the good and bad really lies. When you do so, it's very much a film about the system and authorities, which only makes it all the more brilliant that Mendes constantly tries to get us to look beyond what we think we know to question the system - or in this case, question the Bond formula.

In other words then, Mendes is trying to teach us to question what we see, but in order for him to do that, there has to be a surface film for us to enjoy too, and Skyfall most definitely has that. Yes this film contains reams of great action sequences, beautiful cinematography from Roger Deakins, some brilliant humour and and many plot points that can be interpreted in which ever way you wish, and as a result it is a film that you can thoroughly engage with without looking too far into any of it at all.

With all that in place, Skyfall could have already been brilliantly intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable, but it's elevated even further by its emotional subplots that run through the whole film like a heartbeat; binding each side of the film together and creating something that not only makes sense with all interpretations of the story, but also emotionally engages you in it all as well. Now we know from countless experiences that it's very easy when discussing themes to forget about character and emotion, or to treat them as separate entities, but here the emotional sub-plot is very much a reaction to the themes themselves, and as a result, you can truly play them out through your head. The fact the plot is so interpretable though, also means these reactionary emotions equally make sense if you're following on top, and the way they come to their head at the end is truly heart-wrenching which ever way you look at it.

In many ways then, whilst Thomas Newman's excellent score is very much a reaction to all this, it probably serves as the most accurate embodiment of everything one can say for Skyfall. Sure, there's plenty of exciting moments on the surface, but underneath there's something rather unusual - a mysterious heartbeat that both represents a set of mysterious ideas that are only there if you look for them, or an emotional core that binds the whole film together. In other words; it's a beautiful masterpiece that does so much so well, and not only becomes the best Bond film of all time, but also one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: With so much for it to deal with, there's bound to be some niggles with the surface plot, but frankly that's not something you care about when you're so engaged with the themes and ideas. The only complaint thereafter is that the pacing is perhaps a little fast.

VERDICT: Comparing this to the other Bond films doesn't do it justice; I genuinely believe 'Skyfall' is one of the best and most ambitious movies ever made, and I absolutely, whole-heartedly adore it.
½ April 30, 2017
Worst choice for a double 0 ever. Too Arian, too German. Critics must be smoking crystal or dating Daniel Craig!