Slacker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slacker Reviews

April 23, 2017
Slacker is a very cool film that randomly follows around a bunch of different hippy weirdo types. Very unique and different.
April 21, 2017
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 3, 2017
A defiant, fist-raising statement. This thing is punk rock, baby. From square one, the young and excited Richard Linklater lets the audience know that this isn't your daddy's night at the movies by giving us long takes, seemingly endless assertions about life, politics, conspiracy theories, relationships, dreams, books, movies, and everything in between.

This isn't a movie with a story or a plot, but rather a reflection on the sinew that binds it all together. Linklater's mellow, unintentionally masterful "Slacker" feels like the movie that happens around all of the other movies. As if you're watching some other movie, and an extra walks by in the background. Richard Linklater made a movie about where that guy is headed, and where the guy that walked behind him is headed, and the other guy, and so on and so forth until he ran out of assertions.
March 29, 2017
Slacker est probablement trop long, surtout dans sa dernière demi-heure où on a très bien compris l'intention de Linklater (apparaissant dans la première séquence). Slacker est parfois maladroit, surtout avec le personnage qui fut repris dans les affiches du film. Mais Slacker témoigne aussi d'une vraie envie de cinéma différent, une oeuvre très clivante, qui perdra en route probablement 50% de ses spectateurs. En effet, on y suit des personnages parfois non nommés qui parlent, parlent et parlent, avant de disparaître pour laisser place à d'autres. Et c'est souvent passionnant, car Linklater a une plume passionnante. Mieux encore, Slacker est une sorte de brouillon pour les futurs Boyhood et Everybody Wants Some!!. Ne serait-ce que pour ça, Slacker est indispensable.
February 20, 2017
For whatever reason I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick lately and revisiting the '90s in small doses of cinema, so I gave this one another spin this evening and I have to say that the rambling, free-wheeling nature of the film is still a helluva lot of fun and gives the viewer a snapshot of an Austin, Texas that doesn't really exist anymore. I mean, i guess everyone who saw this film moved there immediately and kinda pushed the small sleepy town feeling out of the place, as only certain areas still have the charm of this film.

Recommended!
July 17, 2016
A movie that lets you smirk about Austinites. Holds a lot of cultural significance.
July 1, 2016
80/100, or a B+
Consistently fascinating and entertaining, which is a coup for a plotless film in which the primary characters change every scene. The nadir of this gimmick is early in the film, when one of the vignettes relies too much on perturbing incident rather than the meandering pseudo-philosophy conversations that make up the rest of the film. Not to worry, as the film makes up for it with hilarious moments like a woman selling Madonna's Pap smear, a guy living in a room full of televisions, and an old man teaching a burglar about the merits of anarchism. And there's a kind of understated sadness to these aimless people, like the kids that steal Pepsis to sell to people, or the Kennedy-assassination theorist who immediately starts talking about Jack Ruby's dog when someone asks how he is. By the end, Slacker has turned into a sort of "portrait of a city film", in this case Dallas, Texas; one feels like they have the complete feel of the weirdest corners of a city they've been to not once.
June 12, 2016
Never saw this before. It is one of the 1001 Movies, and it works as a history piece now.
December 23, 2015
I could listen to the conversations and observe the interactions all day long.
November 15, 2015
It's weird watching this film because you know so many of these people weather they are in your life constantly and a one time meeting. I think that's where the comedy comes from. We're all slackers in someway or another and this film is the tale of all of them, weather its us or someone you know.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
Slacker still holds up after years and years. It is amazing how memorable various scenes are (especially when compared with other films where I forget what has happened even before it finishes). The film has got great style and indie spirit. It has a nice director's commentary track as well.
August 19, 2015
When I saw it in the theater I thought "I had that idea after seeing Nashville", and I'm sure I wasn't the only film buff that thought that. It wasn't until Linklater came around that it was accomplished, and accomplished beautifully.
½ July 26, 2015
Linklater is really hit or miss for me. I really like Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise, and Boyhood. I hated Waking Life, and I didn't much enjoy this film.

Linklater is really about a lot of philosophical conversation - or just interesting conversation such as talking about a Madonna pap smear - and he does little interesting technically. One of the few shots in this film which I found to be great was a long take in which the camera tracks back from the scene of a crime - an old lady being hit by a car - and then pans left to transition to the next character in his home. Sadly this is the repetition in the film that makes it feel so monotonous. It transitions between "episodes" by introducing characters at the end of each episode that pretty much just pass by. And I don't believe we come back to any characters in the film once their "episode" is done.

I do enjoy the conversations in the film, I really do, but they don't really make up for the fact that this film has pretty terrible structure. While structure isn't necessary in a film, it can act as a guide for a good story. Characterization might help as well, rather than just conversations about life and such. Linklater seems more fit to write essays than to make films with movies such as this and Waking Life.

If you want to get into deep thought this is a good film for you to watch, but if you want entertainment and story, look elsewhere.
½ July 20, 2015
Honestly, this film is genius. I hope they show it in high schools and make sure that every student is educated about all of the references. "Sorry I'm late." "Don't worry about it. Time doesn't exist."
½ June 24, 2015
This is one of those masterpieces that achieves transcendence despite the lack of a plot, like Winesburg, Ohio or My Antonia. A portrait of Austin, Texas in the early 1990s and the many interesting characters roaming its streets, it's chock full of Americana like matricides and conspiracy theorists. Low in budget but ambitious in its scope, director Richard Linklater conveys a rich sense of place and always keeps things anything but dull.
½ May 6, 2015
What an impressive and unique way of experimenting with film. A movie not really about anything, but once again Linklater breaks the barriers with something new, fresh and real. An impressive debut.
April 23, 2015
gr8 another lost review
April 21, 2015
Indie flick with no story, which in a way inspired so many gen-x film makers...
April 15, 2015
Slacker could be the independent film by excellence. It doesn't exists a story apparently, but what could you expect if you are doing a film about "slackers". There is no recognized performer, and in the end when you see the cast most of them are referred by what they were doing.