Smash His Camera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smash His Camera Reviews

August 11, 2014
I had never heard of Ron Galella before this documentary. Apparently he's a guy who stalked Jacqueline Kennedy and took a lot of pictures of famous people. It's a documentary about an apparently infamous paparazzo. By Galella own admission he is a paparazzi superstar. There's no question the movie is fascinating.
Galella comes to some fame because of his dogged pursuit of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. His antics are comic and apparently somewhat legendary even by paparazzi standards. Eventually things come to a boiling point and Kennedy sues her stalker (it's hard to call it anything other than stalking).
There's an interesting point in the movie where Galella reflects on why he was so obsessed with Jacqueline Kennedy . Watching him process his own obsession makes for a classic movie moment - largely because he seems blissfully unaware of his obsession until he actually thinks about it and he certainly seems very unaware of the discomfort he has caused her. Why did he follow Jacqueline so incessantly? His answer; he was lonely. Of course he doesn't say it like this, he says he didn't have a girlfriend at the time and that he was infatuated with Kennedy. But really it boils down to loneliness. If the movie is to be believed Could it be that we obsess over celebrities not because we are morbidly curious but because we are lonely? And that in that loneliness we hope to be known by some celebrity who will never know our name? Do we want to be known by those who are beautiful and appealing?
Smash His Camera is certainly an entertaining documentary especially for those who are familiar with the history of Hollywood. Galella is a compelling character - I would even argue likeable (although not everyone will agree with this). Smash His Camera is worth a watch. But I'm a little more interested in the questions it provokes.
September 1, 2013
It could have been interesting but this film has not structure nor any script whatsoever.
March 26, 2013
Nobody captured the 70's better than Ron Galella. In this, he comes across as a wonderful person with an incredible sense of humor; something Jackie Kennedy, Marlon Brando and Sean Penn seemed to lack. The highlight though, is the grubby little occupy-wall street-vegan-chic at the end who, looking at the Galella exhibit at the Met has never heard of Richard Burton, Henry Kissinger, Brigitte Bard-ott, Grace Kelly, Robert Kennedy... and..."Oh my God...Steve McQueen. Wasn't he a famous director or something?"
½ December 9, 2012
price tag we pay for first amendment.
½ November 8, 2012
I like this guy Ron, he is definitely hooked on being associated with celebrities.
People in his camp are a bit delusional in regard to Ms Onasis. Making statements implying that the interaction with Ron was in fact a relationship through the lens.
jackie made it very clear she didn't appreciate Ron's. He even says he didn't have a girlfriend at the time, so Jackie was kind of like his girlfriend. NO, she was the subject of you photograph.
Friends of Ron's talked about how Ron cared for Jackie & her children & wouldn't ever harm them.
To Jackie Ron is a stranger, following her, photographing her & her children.

There's also criticism from a real blowhard forget his name and a photographer from Sport Illustrated, who agrees that Ron's pictures capture great moments, but argues that the appeal is the subject, and it doesn't make any difference who photographed Liz Taylor.
I'm sure this guy would want credit for all the pictures he's taken of famous athletes.
I bet he considers many of the images art.
August 23, 2012
Interesting look at the career of one of the most famous paparazzos ever (though I must admit that I had never heard of him before I saw this film). This documentary is one of the most fair I have ever seen. The director went out of his way to present both sides of this subject, and both were presented with almost equal sympathy.

I abhor celebrity journalism, but I have to give Ron Galella a little respect if for nothing else that he found a way to lawfully make money doing something he loves (even if it is strange and kind of creepy). The real schmucks are the publishers who buy his photos. People complain about the paparazzi, but in all fairness, they wouldn't be doing what they are doing if there wasn't money to be made. And celebrity pictures sell...a lot.

And I do have to admit that some of his pictures were quite entertaining, especially after hearing him tell the stories behind them.
½ June 14, 2012
Good movie it was interesting to see what the guy did and how he sneaked into places to take photos of celebritie it also shows photos from his archives and there are lots
April 3, 2012
Facinating doc about the first real celebrity paparazzi photographer Ron Galella.

Galella had an approach to his work and its simply get the shot no matter what the cost ,you may not approve of his methods and the monster he helped to create , but his photos are quite unique and it sets them high above the usual pap shots.

The stories behind some of the pics are interesting too ,most notably the one of Jackie Onassis crossing a New York street and caught off guard ,and Marlon Brando busting Galellas jaw to avoid having his picture taken.

Gallelas archive is stuffed to the brim with classy photos and by the end of the film you cant help but liking Ron despite the fact he will do anything even bribe people to get that all important shot..

An important film which leaves you asking questions about celebrity and privacy .
January 16, 2012
Very interesting. An amazing look at a paparazzi photo journalist who has been reviled, and scorned, throughout his career - justifiably by some accounts. He, however, has taken some of the most unbelievable photos ever. He has held exhibitions, and even has a coffee table book of his photos that I might consider purchasing, thanks to this documentary.
January 5, 2012
Brilliant! Ended up buying his book after watching this. Great eb & flow in the way this has been directed. A unique character, more front than Myer, but a little sad at the same time. His photography documents a golden era of celebrity though, this can't be denied.
October 18, 2011
Really interesting, entertaining and though provoking film about paparazzi in general, and one of the most long lasting paparazzi in particular: Ron Galella.
½ September 13, 2011
Interesting documentary about the 'first paparazzi'. I liked the footage of Jackie Kennedy.
May 1, 2011
One sign of a really good documentary is when it presents an issue and lets the viewers decide what they think about it, instead of bashing you over the head with the filmmaker's opinions. This documentary about a long-running paparazzo interviews the man himself, plus people who love him and people who hate him and it made me think a lot about fame, celebrity, and the first amendment.
½ April 13, 2011
Interesting portrait (pun intended) of Ron Galella.
March 15, 2011
A look at ron gazella, a world famous paparazzi, who wasnt well liked due to methods he used. but at same time came of charming and. a guy who knew how to get a shot, and everyone wanted his pictures. but later in doc it really gets into his tough ways especially with jackie onassis, hes still going strong, and earns a fortune, a interesting glimpse into a career like his
February 22, 2011
Wow, very odd film. You watch Ron Galella and he tells you what he thinks people think of him. Then you hear what people think of him. Makes you really wonder what you think of him.
½ February 19, 2011
Appropriately named, Galella was a hanger-on and ultimately, a dick. Throughout the movie you kept thinking, waiting for the moment when he would turn a corner and develop a conscience but ultimately, he does not. And his photos aren't even that good. He just happened to have been able to needle his way into the right crowds. This film's only merit is in its historical and social commentary; it gives you a source of loathing for these mosquitoes (where paparazzi derives, thanks Fellini.)
½ February 14, 2011
Really good, well made doc with a lot of depth, especially at the end. The main subject is really interesting, and the film's creativity and storytelling keep things engaging and suspenseful throughout. Really makes you think about the fleeting nature of celebrity, and the double-edged nature of the paparazzi and the famous people they capture. Strongly recommended.
½ February 12, 2011
Fairly interesting documentary about a really interesting guy. The first famous paparazzi.
½ February 6, 2011
Loved this doco about a strange, obsessive and hilarious man and the subjects he stalks. Would highly recommend checking it out if you can get a copy