Smashed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smashed Reviews

May 18, 2017
Smashed is about alcoholism, certainly. But it's also about marriage. Growing as an individual is great, but how does that affect the relationship you have with your spouse? Must you both grow together in order to not grow apart? Taking a unique point-of-view and harboring another impressive turn from future-awards-winner Winstead, this is a difficult and uncomfortably honest little romantic drama from a talented young filmmaker.
April 3, 2017
Incredibly well acted, seems like a true story it's played so real.
½ March 21, 2017
A thin script and unclear tone are held together by a terrific performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
½ November 20, 2016
"Smashed" is a solid, honest indie drama bolstered by a terrific leading performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
October 7, 2016
Si ce n'est que c'est parfait.
½ October 5, 2016
Edgy and led by Mary Elizabeth Winstead's incredible performance, this serio-comedy is sharp enough to make you laugh while tackling its not-so-funny subject of alcoholism.
½ September 29, 2016
I enjoyed this Mary is a great actress and it really shows...Aaron has certain roles he shines in this being one of them.
May 17, 2016
Amazing performances and real situations make Smashed a heartbreaking drama.
May 6, 2016
A down to earth, well acted story about love and loss.
April 26, 2016
I find this movie pretty depressive like alcoholism itself. It's nice to see a realistic picture concerning this problem: it's not that all verdant and vernal being sober too after lifetime of drinking and partying.
½ March 22, 2016
It's hysterical and its melancholy, they're times when you can't stop laughing and others when you can't stop feeling sorrowful. It is far from being one-dimensional as that is how I mostly describe romantic dramas. Adding a impactful message into it and you have something brilliant.
½ December 20, 2015
Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul star in a small indy drama about addiction, recovery and moving on. The story is touching, funny and well measured whilst avoiding preaching any one view point.
September 19, 2015
If it wasn't for Mary Elizabeth Winstead's performance, which is phenomenal, and seeing Aaron Paul in something other then Breaking Bad I probably wouldn't have even finished watching this. This film does do a great job of showing the just how destructive a drinking life style can be. It just never gave me the story to go along with it or the care to make me care about the outcome of these peoples lives. It just always felt like a Lifetime movie of the week at best. The subplots are extremely underdeveloped. Octavia Spencer who is coming off a high with The Help is extremely underused. I always felt that an amazing performance makes a movie worth watching but can't save the movie from being poor.
June 3, 2015
We've all heard of Mary Elizabeth Instead, the beautiful actress who in the past has picked a lot of dumb movies (Final Destination 3, The Thing, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). Now she finally gets a serious role, and she NAILS it. Smashed, costarring Aaron Paul (also terrific), is a simplistic but powerful look at a loving couple addicted to alcohol. Think of it as a modern day Days of Wine and Roses.
½ June 3, 2015
A surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of alcoholism, Smashed doesn't get as deep into the issues as it should but a haunting performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead is worth the viewing alone.
April 27, 2015
An independent film that is worth a look. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was great in this. Not boring.
February 6, 2015
Written and directed by James Ponsoldt, (Off the Black (2006), The Spectacular Now (2013) and The End of the Tour (2014)), this low budget drama was filmed in 19 days on a shoe-string budget of $500,000. On page, this could have been a depressing and preachy look at how drink makes demons of us all, but there's something human about the film, and it actually finds humour in it's darkness. Elementary teacher Kate Hannah (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is married to Charlie (Aaron Paul), but she has an alcohol problem, and she has frequently come to work either hungover or still drunk. When she vomits in class, School principal Mrs. Barnes (Megan Mullally) worries for her wellbeing, but Kate lies and says she's pregnant. Her co-worker Dave (Nick Offerman) finds out about Kate's drinking habit, she makes him promise not tell, Dave reluctantly agrees, but only if she goes to AA meetings. There, she meets Jenny (Octavia Spencer), who shows her there's more to life than drink, but Kate has a lot of baggage in life making her drink. Despite being made for nearly next to nothing, it has the appearance of an Oscar contender, as the performances by Winstead and Paul are stunning, and they capture what it's truly like to be drunk. While it looks fun, it takes a serious toll on people. This is a realistic and down to earth look at how people deal with it.
January 30, 2015
Girl movie for me to see as a recovering alcoholic, and what my life used to be like with alcohol overtaking my entire world.
January 10, 2015
Smashed has an undeniably warm spirit at it's core that refuses to judge or condemn it's characters, but is also unafraid of exploring the dark side of alcoholism with it's frank and human drama.