Smashed Reviews

• Sep 24, 2018

Forgettable but Mary Elizabeth Winstead gives a tour de force performance.

Forgettable but Mary Elizabeth Winstead gives a tour de force performance.

• May 02, 2018

that cake was really moist.. Smashed The feature doesn't flinch to go into dark places and takes bold decisions throughout the course of it that helps the audience stick to the seats even though it has a familiar premise with predictable twists and turns. Susan Burke and James Ponsoldt; the co-writers are in their A game doing some of their best work in here within a limited span and still offering enough range and room to each individual character. James Ponsoldt has done a decent job on executing it where its short and smart editing works in its favor even though it is not his best work till date. Mary Elizabeth Winstead; at the heart of it, is surprisingly amazing in her portrayal of an alcoholic and unlike the premise, is supported thoroughly by a great cast like Aaron Paul, Nick Offerman and Octavia Spencer. Smashed is your typical "alcoholic" feature with all the familiar ingredients installed by the writers to make the equation interesting and spicy as much as possible which works for the most part of it.

• Feb 08, 2018

After a horrible lie goes wrong for Kate Hannah (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), she finally decides she needs to do something about her alcoholism which is causing her life to spin out of control. Throughout this Movie-a-Day experience, I have already watched a number of classics (see previous reviews). I randomly sprinkled in some films I had never heard of, Smashed being one of them. This is one hidden gem of a film that I'm so thankful it found its way on to my list. The messages in the film aren't preached, but still manage to resonate strongly due to a powerful delivery. Kate's character shows us that it doesn't matter how you start (or the cards you're dealt in life), rather it's about how you decide--and only YOU get to decide--to finish. Kate wants to change but she has no support system as her husband is just as bad as her. In spite of the incredible adversity she's battling, she decides to go for it anyway, refusing to make excuses. What makes this so important is the fact that Kate is a complete wreck and you recognize it almost instantly. Her life is a downwards tailspin, kind of like watching a car crash in slow motion. Her story is layered seamlessly into the film and you slowly start to understand that she never really had much of a chance to be anything other than what she became. Winstead captures the role in phenomenal fashion, aided by yet another strong performance from Octavia Spencer as Jenny. Through the two of them, we experience a powerful meaning that says doing the hard thing will always come with a sacrifice. Recommended. I give Smashed an 86.

• Aug 30, 2017

This movie features humorous, well-written dialogue and very believable, down-to-earth acting. Overall fairly interesting long and relevant to recovery even if the plot is a bit unfocused

• May 18, 2017

Smashed is about alcoholism, certainly. But it's also about marriage. Growing as an individual is great, but how does that affect the relationship you have with your spouse? Must you both grow together in order to not grow apart? Taking a unique point-of-view and harboring another impressive turn from future-awards-winner Winstead, this is a difficult and uncomfortably honest little romantic drama from a talented young filmmaker.

• Apr 03, 2017

Incredibly well acted, seems like a true story it's played so real.

Incredibly well acted, seems like a true story it's played so real.

• Nov 20, 2016

"Smashed" is a solid, honest indie drama bolstered by a terrific leading performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

• Oct 07, 2016

Si ce n'est que c'est parfait.

Si ce n'est que c'est parfait.

• Sep 29, 2016

I enjoyed this Mary is a great actress and it really shows...Aaron has certain roles he shines in this being one of them.

• May 17, 2016

Amazing performances and real situations make Smashed a heartbreaking drama.

Amazing performances and real situations make Smashed a heartbreaking drama.