Smashing Machine: The Life and Times of Mark Kerr Reviews

• Aug 22, 2020

Gentle men fight for their life, not to take another's. Giving insights to another world that we can only watch and imagine.

• Jun 16, 2016

A very honest accounting of an athletes life spun completely out of control; A phenomenal doc for mma fans and non-fans alike.

• Aug 25, 2013

Gave me a whole new level of respect for what these guys do. awesome, sad and just a little scary.

• Nov 07, 2012

THE FILM JUNKIE To put it simply, The Smashing Machine is an action packed, compelling yet emotional documentary. Before actually viewing the film, I thought the storyline would not appeal to me because I have virtually no interest in Mixed Martial Arts fighting. However, director Josh Hyams presents the film in a way that one does not necessarily have to be interested in Mixed Martial Arts to thoroughly enjoy the film. I was pleasantly surprised by this, and ended up respecting Mark Kerr greatly after viewing this documentary. This is mainly because Hyams gives viewers a more holistic view of Kerrâ(TM)s life not only as a fighter, but as a person as well. So, what really allows for this âholisticâÃ,Â? kind of viewing exactly? Itâ(TM)s the way the director chose to go about filming Mark Kerr. This type of filming style is very low key, which allows for people to formulate their own opinions as to what is going on. The camera essentially travels with Mark Kerr as he goes about his day-to-day routine. We get to see the grueling physical training Kerr endures in preparation for his fights, the actual professional fights themselves, the drug addictions he struggles with, and even his at home life with troublesome girlfriend Dawn Staples (which is a very entertaining part of the film). While the camera so carefully captured all of these events, I truly felt as if I were actually there.

• Feb 13, 2012

Good documentary that focuses on Mark Kerr and his painkiller addiction - too bad his comeback once he got the drugs out of his system hasn't been successful. Some extra footage with some candid shots and behind the scenes happenings with some other MMA fighters as well. Documentary is good enough to appeal to everyone, not just MMA fans.

• Jan 12, 2012

This is a great documentary about former UFC and Pride fighter Mark Kerr. It was filmed back in 1999-2000 when MMA was not as popular as it is today. I really liked how it showed his struggle with addiction and how scared he was before he stepped into the ring. This documentary was also produced by the director of Warrior. Definitely check this out.

• Jul 14, 2011

Great movie about UFC/MMA

Great movie about UFC/MMA

• Jun 18, 2010

Engrossing and entertaining, but shallow. This is more like an episode of "Intervention" than a truly effective documentary film. Mark Kerr is fantastic subject matter with his docile, if not periodically roid-raged, demeanor outside of the cage. He's a walking contradiction -- he's too smart for the hole that he digs himself into, and thus his story is a compelling one. But alas, it's a one-note film. The ending is entirely unsatisfying as the contrast between the lives of Coleman and Kerr really never came to fruition.

• May 08, 2010

A telling doco on the early years of MMA. It displays the mix of athleticism and savage brutality in the sport during these times and also the toll that this punishment has on these fighters. This is a really good watch for anyone who wants to see how the sport has evolved.

• May 03, 2010

Much more than it seems on the surface. It is a very personal and some times tradjic story of one fighter in the early days of the UFC. Like professional wrestlers MMA fighters have many of the same potential pit falls like pain medication addiction.Don't worry that it is a little dated or if you not a fan of the sport this is an intriging look into an entertainers life.