Solace Reviews

• Aug 21, 2019

I love this movie! It is great on so many levels- a compelling story, beautifully directed and visually stunning!

• Aug 05, 2019

This is an amazing film that made me sit in the dark and think for an hour afterwards. It was that intense. It was that good.

• Jul 16, 2019

Beautiful performances from all the actors + a moving story about a struggling young woman + gorgeous imagery + creative editing = Movie Magic. Omawale has created a timeless, affecting film and puts her unique visual and narrative stamp on the coming-of-age story. Lead actor Wilson inhabits the role of Sole. And when Omawale's camera brings us in tight, her anguish or joy is ours to share. Lynn Whitfield is remarkable as a woman who is brought to self-awareness through the challenge Sole presents in her life. Glynn Turman shines as an understanding (and sexy) pastor. Tavares and Rampersad as Sole's eye-opening friends are both well-cast and their resolutions in terms of the story strike just the right tone. "Solace" is a lovely and moving film. I look forward to seeing what Omawale has up her directorial sleeve next.

• Jul 03, 2019

Engaging and entertaining with artistically arresting visuals!

Engaging and entertaining with artistically arresting visuals!

• May 19, 2019

This is such a unique and creative film. So well done and refreshingly original.

• May 07, 2019

Delicious journey! HIGHLY recommend. Wild Ride., I laughed, cried, and was entertained.

• Apr 27, 2019

This is such a necessary film. I've never seen a film explore blackness, bodies and queerness. Exquisite filmmaking.

• Apr 27, 2019

Powerful film. It grips you and doesn't let go. I look forward to more stories from this director.

• Apr 22, 2019

Solace is a touching film about a young black girl who meets awesome friends after losing her father and moving in with an estranged grandmother in Los Angeles. The movie deals with eating disorder (binge eating), self harm, mental health and coping. The film is also a celebration of youth, more importantly black youth, and overcoming struggles a lot of young people face. This film is very fresh!