Solaris Reviews

• Dec 08, 2018

I have yet to see the more acclaimed 1972 version. I have also never seen the 1968 made-for-television version, nor have I read the original novel. My sole experience with Solaris is the divisive 2002 version by Steven Soderbergh. That being said, what I found with the 2002 version is a beautiful, cerebral, emotionally-engaging, and melancholic exploration into loneliness, guilt, existentialism, the metaphysical, and so much more. When a space station goes silent near the planet, Solaris, therapist, Dr. Chris Kelvin is sent to investigate what happened based on a video recording sent by one of the crew members, asking him by name to come. Even a security team sent in before him never returned, so the trip is already looking uneasy. Upon arriving, he sees blood trails and very few signs of life. He finds two crew members - Snow, a strange and neurotic crew member, and Gordon, who is filled with paranoia and doesn't even want to come out of her room at first. The other crew members are dead, due to the unexplained phenomena that the crew are experiencing (Though, Dr. Kelvin does see a child, but is unable to catch him and talk to him). During his stay, Dr. Kelvin is awakened by his wife, Rheya, who thinks they are at home together. Dr. Kelvin is understandably taken aback by this...because she's dead. Dr. Kelvin's time on the ship becomes a time of emotional torment as old memories are awakened and as he and the surviving crew members try to figure out what exactly is going on around them...all while being trapped in the terrifying isolation of space. Solaris is a gripping, slow-building drama that really strikes a chord as Dr. Kelvin relives memories of his marriage to Rheya - the good times, the bad times, and the ugliest of times that resulted in tragedy. It becomes incredibly heartbreaking at times, but never in an overwrought way. Rather, the way it unfolds is shown to us in a more believable manner, making such scenes all the more crushing. What makes it worse is that whatever force that has taken the form of Rheya states that she only exists through his memories and how he remembers her, causing her torment as she experiences these things, trapping her in a never-ending existential nightmare. It's a film that ponders life with all of its ups and downs, as well as exploring the possibility of a higher power and forces beyond our control. I found it to be a superb film that had made me engaged from beginning to end. I wanted to know what was happening, I wanted to dissect the myriad themes, and I was also engaged emotionally, becoming invested in the turmoil of Dr. Kelvin's life. I think Solaris is one of the most underrated and best films of the 2000's. We need more sci-fi films like this.

• Dec 01, 2018

great movie. great scenario. great acting. Based on one of the ?greatest book!

great movie. great scenario. great acting. Based on one of the ?greatest book!

• Oct 15, 2018

• Sep 22, 2018

Solaris is based on a famous Polish novel of the same name and which has been famously adapted by Russian great Andrei Tarkovsky. Comparisons with Tarkovskys film will be expected but both are quite apart in tone and approach. Soderberg's film is more mainstream and thus much more colorful. I'll give him this: His pictures are gorgeous to look at. George Clooney plays astronaut Chris Kelvin who is summoned on a space station floating around the mysterious planet Solaris. When he arrives he sees not all is right and that the planet is playing mind games on the inhabitants of the ship. This is a good film and you should check it out. (A meditative take from Hollywood on a famously meditative story).

• Aug 08, 2018

Never saw the original on read the book. The story is intriguing, but too slow paced

• Aug 04, 2018

Stanislaw Lem's Solaris is a highly regarded book and Andrei Tarkovsky's film adaption is pretty much spot on, though Tarkovsky being an auteur brings his own touch to the proceedings. The story is about a cosmonaut who is sent to a space station revolving around a mysterious planet in the future. The cinematography and production design are haunting- the spaceship is so different than what we usually see in Hollywood. The acting is restraint and works here. Some people have said there is a sense of pretentiousness and rightfully so as some scenes go on way too long. But hey, this is Tarkovsky we speak of. This is one of the finest hard science fiction films and you should see it at any cost. (Considered one of the greatest science fiction films ever so watch it!).

• Aug 03, 2018

The story had to be remade. Nice questioning about life and reality. Is there another life form and what would we do with it? Good little film. The end is similar to the russian film of the same name and origin, but more virtual. Are we now in heaven in heaven?

• Jul 20, 2018

Solaris is an effort by director Steven Soderberg to bring to the screen one of the greatest science fiction novels ever- Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. Comparisons with Tarkovskys film will be expected but both are quite apart in tone and approach. Soderberg's film is more mainstream and thus much more colorful. I'll give him this: His pictures are gorgeous to look at. George Clooney plays astronaut Chris Kelvin who is summoned on a space station floating around the mysterious planet Solaris. When he arrives he sees not all is right and that the planet is playing mind games on the inhabitants of the ship. This is a good film and you should check it out.

• Feb 26, 2018

This is a work of art! There is an exquisite marriage of cinematography and soundtrack that creates a unique atmosphere, one that reminded me of the strange, surreal and esoteric section of 2001: A space Odyssey where Dave Bowman is slowly aging after contact with the stargate near Jupiter. Bears up to repeated viewings.

• Jan 08, 2018

Clooney version Solaris is unbelievably boring and awful. I have never even made past the first hour where like nothing in space happens but this is like a movie about romantic meetings. Or whatever. This movie fucking sucks. Maybe package it again as a sleep pill, or something. I mean seriously does anything happen after the first hour? And also why would a viewer have to wait 60 minutes to view something actually worth viewing? Dead wifes and romances...I mean okay, in TV shows a ton, nice after development of characters. Your dead wife though is kind of a bitch just from what we see. And Oh My God let's not ever let anyone refer to this as a "sci-fi" movie. It's not. If any genre: might be "moron with dead bitch wife so yawn" genre. What else is there here.