Sound of My Voice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sound of My Voice Reviews

½ May 11, 2016
Sound of my voice surprised me to the fullest. Brit Marling's performance is as mesmerizing as the movie itself and although some will be disappointed by the conclusion, I found it to be just what this movie needed to lead to. After I finished Sound of My Voice, I found myself sitting silently, staring off into space reflecting on the possibilities it left me with, and I love when film's do that to me. A great watch that I would definitely see again
April 24, 2016
Question that I ponder is if she is getting paid in full, she always seems to forget writing the third act. But she sure knows how to leave it dandling. I generally don't like open ended abrupt endings, but this is as best as it can get. Her saga of 'What if' continues where she left in 'Another Earth' bringing in the subtlety, no deviations allowed screenplay and absolutely no budget.

Peter (Christopher Denham) is a journalist cum elementary school teacher on a mission to expose a cult along with his girlfriend Lorna (Nicole Vicius). They infiltrate the cult whose process is no different than many we have seen or heard in media - secretive, persuasive and weird. It is headed by one Maggie (Brit Marling) who claims to be from the year 2054, she is charismatic, intelligent and her answers and speeches leaves you on the border whether to believe or not. Until one day she asks Peter to bring an 8 year old girl secretively to her.

The number of questions that are raised and left unanswered in this movie would not have happened in my worst test and I was a mediocre student. Throughout it is compelling, thrilling and thought provoking. Technical departments are only as amateurish as an indie movie aspire to be while artistically and intellectually it is on par if not better than any studio production. The background is mostly quiet not even traffic sounds and whenever they have decided to put some music it is tender, soothing and gelled perfectly.
I will never take time travel as science fiction but mostly as a fantasy. But the simple way of how we perceive someone claiming to be from the future is brilliantly depicted by the lead couple and the small group of others who joins the cult. The screenplay left me exhilaratingly curious to know how it all ends even after knowing what Brit Marling has done in her previous work.

Compelling, intriguing, thought provoking and perfectly open ended.
April 23, 2016
If you like fast paced movies, explosions everywhere, action here action there, this movie is not for you.
But if you like movies that uses mystery as its ambiance and curiosity as its fuel, well TAAADDAAA
April 15, 2016
I like many things about these kind of movies. I like ambiguity and not explaining things. I love leaving things open to interpretation. I love keeping a bigger story in the background as it makes your independent movie feel all the more epic.

All that said, I've taken a day to figure out what I think happens in this film and I have my answer. The thing is... I don't feel like it really fills me with anything that interesting.

A movie I might compare this to is "The One I Love", a movie I got down on because I did not care about the two main characters. Same is true here. I did not care for Peter. I thought his girlfriend was miscast as the person she was written to be. I did like Maggie though, but the movie keeps her at a far enough distance that I can't exactly root for her.

So ultimately the movie leaves me with very little. I like what I think the plot was telling, but the human storyline about Peter was huge miss for me.

All this said, I would of course recommend this movie. I like movies that come out of nowhere and challenge us. While I didn't find much to take away from this one, I still 100% appreciate that it exists and it did its own thing.
½ April 6, 2016
another great cult-time travel film with mind-fuck ending ever.
February 15, 2016
It pains me to be so dismissive of a decent attempt at low-budget filmmaking, but, whilst almost scoring points for intrigue, this film was too infuriating to take seriously. Often sickeningly written, predominantly poorly acted, and thoroughly ill-casted, Sound of My Voice wastes an interesting premise by way of cringe-inducing clichés and banal, predictable dialogue - also wasting 1hr20 of the audience's time in the process. Despite nearly threatening to reward any remaining viewers with a worthwhile climax, the film (perhaps encouraged to do so by its main person of interest, as were her never-quite-believable disciples) managed to vomit out an incoherent ending that felt cheap, lazy and rather self-absorbed. Perhaps if the mooted trilogy were to come to fruition a degree of redemption might be found, but I would certainly be keener to avoid rather than invest in this story any further.
November 26, 2015
Brit Marling is remarkable in this movie- though slough- is captivating right till the end
November 8, 2015
A breathtaking thriller. Sound of my voice may not respond every question it raises but at the end, this journey doesn't need it.
August 16, 2015
Brit Marling is the queen of the ALMOST GOOD movies.
August 9, 2015
Love Brit Marling and the director's East, but this one is excruciatingly slow & inserts nonsensical flashbacks (like what does Peter & Lorna's past have anything to do with their present self)? Good if you want to see how f*cked up people are who follow cults, religions, whatnot.
July 7, 2015
Thought provoking film that reminded me a little of the YA novel Sati by Christopher Pike, in which a young woman claims she is God. Here a young woman, seemingly the leader of a cult, claims she is from the future. Magnetically played by the talented Brit Marling - who also cowrote the screenplay - she brings a strange physicality at once brittle, warm and otherworldly. A fascinating open ended film.
½ June 9, 2015
Sound of My Voice represents a low-budget indie film that both defies expectations but also fails to elevate them. In it, we find a young couple attempt to infiltrate a bizarre cult that follows a young woman claiming to be from the future. As events unfold, the intrigue widens, and the mystery seems to envelope all involved. It's a character study, a thriller, and a drama. A unique blend of indie of more mainstream suspense dramas, it's a film that deserves to be seen.

Despite being an unknown cast, one has to venerate the performances from all involved, especially by its most accomplished actor, the fantastic Brit Marling. She inhibits her role to an extraordinary degree, and brings just the right amount of ambiguity. That ambiguity serves the film well, as it's never predictable, yet does leave us a bit unfulfilled as the ending seems overly artsy and wavering.

3.5/5 Stars
½ May 26, 2015
Great movie overall. Horrible ending. Way too many loose ends. There's a difference between letting the audience decide the end and completely raping your audience of an ending. Total tease.
½ May 8, 2015
Intriguing and mind blowing. It is a film about our fascination and fear of the future.
March 25, 2015
Creepy thriller. Leaves much unanswered, but that is part of the appeal. Fun movie to watch and discuss w/ others.
March 22, 2015
The movie info say they unravel the secret. Right, but not much is revealed. The whole exercise is more about the intrigue. What is it? Maggie coming from the future is not futuristic. She comes out as the very plain Jane, maybe even confused future girl. The only evidence she might come from the future comes at the very end and other explanations are possible. The question is, what does it take to fall into the cult trap? What boundaries do people cross to please the cult? How far can the cult dynamic make you go? All very relevant questions that the film tease you with. The characters all come out real, realistic. I've seen a lot of westerns and world war movies that satisfy more these questions. It's a little tease of a film with charming women that are nice to listen to and look at. There are a few in town but are not in films.
½ March 15, 2015
Everything in this film is top-notch. Acting, writing, pacing, cinematography, story, etc. Definitely one to make you think as it draws you further into its mystery. Nearly 5 stars.
March 7, 2015
Really interesting movie. wasn't what I was expecting and I felt like it was really well acted. different but good different.
February 28, 2015
The idea for this movie was a good one, but everything about it made it painful to sit through. I was hoping for an ending to give purpose to this cult's existence, but it was a real letdown.
½ February 17, 2015
This is one of the movie you see and think about it for few hours when it ends..Low budget but very well scripted..