Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2028
January 20, 2018
The disappointment I felt after walking out of the cinema will always be in my memory.
January 20, 2018
The film that changes the myth of the Jedi to the legend of the Jedi. Also the film that taught there's a degree of separation between expectation and actualization. It was supposed to be a film about the rise of Darth Vader, but first we had to establish the good in him. And Qui-Gon v. Darth Maul; the Noble Warrior against the Killer. It also has Natalie Portman's best performance in the prequels.
January 20, 2018
It's terrible but also pointless. If you really want to see prequels, skip it and start from the episode II
½ January 19, 2018
I've never been able to sit through this movie. I don't know what its about and I really don't care. Lucas really failed here.
½ January 18, 2018
The Phantom Menace definitely is disappointing considering the originals but it is still one of my favorite movies ever. Even though it is disappointing there are still thing that I find that I loved about this movie like the racing scene, Natalie Portman portraying Padme Amidala, and the how we get to see what Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader was like when he was a child.
January 18, 2018
better than the last jedi gets a 6.4/10
Jar Jar
ALL hail JAR JAR 73727189-666-388193$7337739]**{^}^??????????
½ January 17, 2018
George Lucas' return to a galaxy far, far away is a triumph of creative vision. A movie that overcomes any and all of its narrative deficiencies through the pure drive of its creator to wow, thrill, and inspire.
½ January 17, 2018
This film is underrated! Sure, I could produce better CGI creatures with a potato; but the podracing is really good fun and Jake Lloyd's Anakin is actually pretty well acted. Obviously we're all bothered by the gungans, the endless senate meetings, and the weird jedi robot voices that Liam Neeson and Ewan McGreggor seemed to consider necessary. But I think Qui Gon is a great character, Queen Amadala is perfect and Darth Maul is a worthy villain. This movie suffered massively due to expectations and is by no means a masterpiece but it is perfectly watchable and entertaining.
January 17, 2018
Despite what everyone says THIS is a Star Wars movie. Yes it has lots of flaws. But I still like this movie.

I was a kid when this came out, I was 9 when i first saw it on VHS, in 2000 This became my all time favourite movie, i grew up on Star Wars, i lived for Star Wars.

This movie gave us great characters, such as Qui Son Ginn, and introduces us to the second greatest villain of all time Darth Maul, and produces, in my opinion, the second greatest lightsaber duel (No.1 you'll have to read through my other reviews to find out, which).

For me, I came to dislike this movie instead of enjoying the moment and not overthink it, was when I started reading everyone else reviews/opinions.

Overall review of the story (As a 9year old)
Awesome, funny, great fight scene way better than anything in the old trilogy.
Overall review (now):
I still watch it, i just fast forward all the political crap, skip Qui Got Chatting with Ani's mother and mainly watch it for the duel of the fates, for a terrific musical score. the Story is scattered, no focus on a single main character, too much talking not enough doing. and Honest Opinion on Jar Jar, i grew up laughing at him so to me he was and still isn't that bad, he's better than Rose in Episode 8. Her character is utterly cringeworthy.

My Edits:
1. Less talking, "faster more, intense"
2. Jar Jar, i think he was originally going to be Darth Plagueis. or some form of Dark Jedi, acting stupid, but he's the reason Darth Maul finds Anakin on Tatooine.
3. Focus on A main character, Instead of not really knowing who the main character is, The story should have been told through Obi Wan's perspective, giving us build up into Anakin.
4. Anakin Should have been older, a 9 to 14 year old age gap is a bit creepy.
5. In Episode 6, Obi Wan speaking to Luke "when i first knew him, your father was already a great pilot.."
Episode 1, He had never won a race, not even finished. I think he needed to be a little better than that.
6. Don't kill off Darth Maul, only to bring him back in the clone wars tv show only..

From one fan to another, watch the prequels like your 9-10 year old self and enjoy it, don't over think it, don't do anything but watch.
As a very influential being once said "Do or do not, there is no try"

IF you want to judge the prequels, maybe should also look at judging the original trilogy in the same amount of detail. Episode 4 is about a whiny kid. Episode 5 "nothing happens" - George Lucas, Episode 6 the empire is defeated by Ewoks.
January 17, 2018
This movie was really good.
½ January 16, 2018
This movie gets far morenhate than it deserves. Grantedbits nowhere near the level of the original trilogy, it still makes for a fun time. And let's be honest, is Jar Jar Binks really any worse than the Ewoks?
January 16, 2018
people hate it only because Darth maul died but at least he died a great way
January 16, 2018
I see the points people dislike it, I see why JarJar is hated, but after the last jedi, people should rewatch. It isn't that bad.
I watched it multiple times, but I won't watch The Last Jedi ever again.
January 15, 2018
A solid Star Wars film with one fatal flaw, and other, more minor, inconveniences. You all know what I am talking about - Jar Jar is the dead weight tipping the scales from good to not-so-good movie.
½ January 15, 2018
Probably the weakest film in the franchise. It's between this and return of the Jedi for weakest entry.
However the film is still quite enjoyable and well made. The mythology is rich and the viewer is rewarded with the best lightsaber battle in the franchise.
January 14, 2018
Not as good as the original trilogy but i loved it
½ January 13, 2018
I definitely liked this movie, not my favorite of the saga though. I loved the complex storytelling, and the story is especially engaging to me because I am fairly invested into the lore of the Star Wars universe. John Williams' soundtrack is undoubtedly amazing. The new locations (Naboo, Coruscant, etc) are also simply beautiful. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are acted perfectly, and their fight scene with Darth Maul was outstanding. I also didn't really mind the politics aspect too much, I thought it was cool to see Palpatine's seemingly inconspicuous beginnings. That being said, I could understand why a lot of people wouldn't like this movie. There were parts of it that seemed to just drag on - most of what happened on Tatooine was just lame, young Anakin was just kinda strange, and the senate/jedi council shit is just too complex and boring for most people. The podracing scene might have been kinda fun to watch but it felt like a useless time waster to me. Darth Maul was a badass but still somewhat underdeveloped and underutilized. Most of the CGI characters (ESPECIALLY JAR-JAR) were also just fucking abysmal. Jar-Jar just did not work at all. Speaking of the CGI, it might have been good for the time but it has definitely not aged well. Overall it's an undoubtedly flawed but still enjoyable film.
January 13, 2018
This movie has its ups and downs. I frankly enjoy the first thirty minutes and the last thirty minutes of the movie the most, but in between it's alright. The movie starts off in a fun way in my opinion, seeing the jedi at a time when the order was still around and very prevalent in the galaxy was amazing and Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson do a fantastic job. The action is fun and fast, and John Williams score is brilliant. Of course, Jar Jar is a major downside of the movie. Not only is his dialogue and voice just awful but the CGI is extremely outdated. However, my least favorite part of this movie is Anakin and the Tatooine sequence. Contrary to most people, I do not care for the podrace at all because it's so long and really boring after the first two minutes. Jake Lloyd did a good job, for his age, but that doesn't mean I have to like his character. Darth Maul and the "Phantom Menace" that we later learn is Palpatine needed a much more involved role in the movie, but when they were on screen I absolutely loved it. As I said earlier, the last thirty minutes I really liked. It was action packed, amazingly scored, and just a blast to watch although it was occasionally cheesy. Overall I'd give it a 3/5 because of fun action scenes, amazing music, overall good acting, and amazing locations but also outdated CGI, extremely boring scenes, villains that did not get enough screentime, and overall shitty humor and characters that are aimed towards toddlers.
January 13, 2018
I always liked elements of this film: the Music, especially Duel of Fates... Darth Maul... Qui-Gon Jinn... the pod racers themselves (though not the chase)... the whole look and design of Theeds and Naboo... the three-way lightsaber duel.

But it was seeing Last Jedi that truly raised this film in my estimation!
Now it seem like a work of sheer genius in comparison!
Page 1 of 2028