Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2032
April 14, 2018
Don't be put off by the bad reputation. Beautifully shot with great action sequences. The light saber duel at the end is probably the best in the entire series. Darth Maul is an excellent villain. Highly recommend!
April 12, 2018
Underreted only for stupid nostalgic fans. But EP 1 is madre by the love of the author.
April 12, 2018
Groundbreaking visual effects are entertaining, but can't sustain a film alone. The heart of the story gets a bit lost in politics and action, and cold is the dialogue our talented cast is left to work with, but the magic of Star Wars remains
½ April 11, 2018
The whole movie was just boring. Didn't hold up to the original trilogy.
½ April 11, 2018
portentous science-fiction tale, both dramatically and visually. but underwhelming, inchoate leads and political babble lend the film a petty inconsequentiality. the hollow script especially spells a startling vicissitude for cinema's most inviting franchise. it's externally theatrical, like the podrace, yet lacks human intimacy.
April 7, 2018
One of the biggest disappointments ever. The CGI is over-used and terrible, the characters and boring and borderline frustrating. Whilst it has a good score and practical elements, it falls flat of any emotion and spoils the magic of the origional films.
April 4, 2018
You've got Qui Gon, Darth Maul, Duel of the Fates (Fight scene and music), young Obi Wan, the pod race, and practical effects. But this is the worst Star Wars movie? No.
Completely misunderstood and underappreciated. One of the best of the prequels.
April 4, 2018
Most decent intro movie to among star wars trilogies
½ April 4, 2018
Not a good movie, but the thing that saves it is Liam Neeson's portrayal of Qui Gonn. Plus there was some great action scenes throughout it.
April 4, 2018
The film had some good ideas but ultimately the execution is poor with a bland story, dull new characters, an over-abundance of CGI and the character known as Jar-Jar Binks.
½ April 3, 2018
not kill me bad, but bad....
½ April 3, 2018
Worst movie ever made. Sorry Lucas, itīs the reality.
½ April 3, 2018
Despite presenting with a brand new story, interesting political topics and delivering what probably remains as the best light saber fight in the entire franchise (choreography wise) and a very well shot and produced pod race, the film suffers heavily from poor dialogue and terrible pacing. The execution is very lackluster, but from very some unique visuals to a fantastic musical score, there's stuff to enjoy here.
½ April 2, 2018
Ugh...urm epic musical score great light saber fights...
½ April 1, 2018
The Phantom Menace isn't nearly as bad as people like to make it out to be.
½ April 1, 2018
Better than the attack of the clones
½ March 30, 2018
This is a decent movie. Childhood nostalgia holds it up even as it drags on, and as long as you abide by the understanding that Jar Jar Binks is secretly a Sith Lord, it makes for a much better watch than some may have you think.
March 26, 2018
One of my all time favorites, Liam Neeson as a Jedi? yeah he nails it!
March 26, 2018
As a kid I loved this film, as an adult? I still love this film, yes there's definitely problems but I think Lucas was allowed to make mistakes since it's his first time directing a Star Wars film since A New Hope and I was definitely entertained. Ewan McGregor was a great choice as Obi Wan, Darth Maul was awesome (even though I wish we got more of him), the Pod Race was cool, John Williams Score is amazing and I do admire Lucas for giving us something completely different than the Original Trilogy.
March 26, 2018
This wasn't the best Star Wars film, but at least there are pretty cool lightsaber battles!
Page 1 of 2032