Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2030
February 22, 2018
Anyone can critique the prequel films for hours nonstop and make a lot of logical points. At the end of the day though, all of the prequels are still better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The prequels had some of the best lightsaber duels and fight choreography in the series, the films didn't ruin already established characters (Han Solo, General Leia, Admiral Akbar, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, etc.), the films featured a lot of different characters the fans cared about so much, fantastic soundtrack, original plots, a lot of world-building showcasing the lore of the Star Wars universe, no Mary Sues or Gary Stus, and no SJW propaganda in sight. Sure characters such as Obi-Wan and Anakin had plot armor at times, but both lost in a duel against Count Dooku in Episode II. The dumbest scene in The Phantom Menace was little Anakin blowing up the battle droid control ship. He's a good pod-racer, but it's a bit stupid to see a kid that young accomplish what the adult, experienced pilots failed to do in the Naboo space battle. All in all, the pod-race scene, the Battle of Naboo between the gungans and battle droids, and the lightsaber duel between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon Jinn at the end of the film made it worth watching. The last half hour was great despite the idiotic scenes with Anakin. Perhaps, the film would have been better with less Jar Jar and an older Anakin.
February 19, 2018
I love this movie' it deserves no hate. That also goes for all the prequels.
½ February 17, 2018
THIS MOVIE SUCKED SO BAD I MEAN WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING PUTTING THAT STUPID ANNOYING JAR JAR IN THIS MOVIE ALSO THERE WAS VERY LITTLE FIGHTING AND WHEN WE FINALLY GOT SOME ACTION IT SUCKED AND THEY BARLEY GAVE DARTH MAUL ANY SCREEN TIME THE COOLEST THING IN THE MOVIE ONLY HAD 1 OR 2 LINES AND GOT VERY LITTLE SCREEN TIME! but that lightsaber duel at the end was awesome and the pod race was pretty good to but the bad scenes out way the good scenes by a landslide. I JUST REALLY HATED THIS MOVIE!
½ February 17, 2018
The Phantom Menace is a very disappointing Star Wars film...yet is somehow overhated. If you enjoy Star Wars you might have an ok time with it, but my recommendation would be to go on youtube and watch "The Pod Race Scene" As the film editing mixed with the visual effects in that scene alone makes this movie at least enjoyable at best.
February 16, 2018
This movie seems like it is hardly ever re-watchable and is one that I wouldn't mind skipping on my seemingly almost monthly Star Wars marathons. From poor dialogue, to a cast without chemistry, to bad CGI and animation, this movie is all over the place. The dialogue in this movie, and famously with the Star Wars Prequels, are just cheesy and literally out of this world. From Anakin to Yoda, everyone gets their fair share of the George Lucas cheese dialogue spectacular. This cast on paper rocks and block buster, including Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, and Keira Knightly. However, this star-studded cast, lacks a special dose of what many call, chemistry. The stale dialogue creates the acting to be stale and the movie suffers from the acting being poor. Lastly, the CGI and animation are just horrendous. The amount of time and care put into this was probably non-existent, or the movie ran out of budget to make it seem a little realistic. Overall, this movie is just a bore and is an easy movie to skip and pick up with Episode 2 in the marathons.
February 16, 2018
½ February 16, 2018
5 Year old me loved it, but I started to realize it's flaws as I got older. Then TFA and TLJ came out and made me realize how good I had it. At least the prequels add depth to the originals and Episode III was legitimately a really good movie.

Cons:
- Slate dialogue. (2nd movie suffers from this too)
- Jar Jar. It seems like they added him for kids, but he really does kind of suck.
- Senate negotiations. Could've been better with better dialogue but just kind of boring

Pros:
- Cool action scenes (Pod race, Maul battle, others)
- Get to see beginnings of a lot of characters
- Has a plot/characters you can get into if you can get past the stale dialouge
- It's not TLJ
February 14, 2018
The dialogue isn't as crisp as one would like to expect, and the middle act on tatooine was long and convoluted, however, it was a visual spectacle, and was able to develop characters that I cared about until the end. Burdened by my high expectations, it was still a disappointment, but a worthy installment in the star wars saga.
½ February 13, 2018
The so-called 'phantom edits' of this film prove the frustrating truth - it had so much potential, came close, and greatly disappointed. It had enough redeeming qualities to remain a 'decent' if patchy film, but it could have been so much more. George Lucas may be a great ideas man, but this film and it's successor really exposed the gaps in his skill-set. Frustrating but compelling viewing.
February 12, 2018
I am re-watching all of the Star Wars movies to cleanse my palette from the most recent one.

As much as this one in particular is panned, it had a well put together script, and the story was worth telling. The production values are easily on par with any modern movie, though the cinematography and storytelling is less bombastic that modern audiences are used to. The visuals and sound are fantastic as well, and really give you a good variety of settings to look at when the Republic was at it's height.

The only real problems with this movie stem from two factors. The first is the use of a child actor for the part of Anakin. If he was aged up a bit into his early teens, I think the performance would have been more natural, less creepy when played against Natalie Portman, and more believable as a whole with other minor tweaks. The other problem was Jar Jar, because of the slapstick physical comedy. If they had toned him down instead of amping him to 11 for the kids, I don't think people would have been particularly bothered.

It's still a very coherent story that sits firmly grounded in the universe enjoyed by many fans.
½ February 12, 2018
At first, this film may seem like a disappointment in the 'Star Wars' saga however watching it as a lone film puts it in a whole new perspective. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace may rely on big budget CGI action sequences but it certainly does it well. I give this film 72%.
February 11, 2018
Still better than the force awakens, and the last jedi...even with meesa in it........
February 9, 2018
Don't be put off by the bad reputation. Beautifully shot with great action sequences. The light saber duel at the end is probably the best in the entire series. Darth Maul is an excellent villain. Highly recommend!
February 7, 2018
While there are elements of this film that work, it ultimately feels unneccessary. I found myself zoning out through large swaths of this movie and ultimately didn't miss anything important to the overarching plot of the series. Jar Jar Binks, while meme-worthy, is a drain on this film, and the central conflict of the film is not terribly engaging or memorable. I send Jake Lloyd my condolences.
February 6, 2018
I am giving this 5 stars because I think there is a lot of overly harsh criticism of this film. In reality, I would give it 3.5 to 4 stars. I think you have to keep in perspective that this was more or less a film made for younger kids. Yes, there were some points that were a bit lacking, such as Jar Jar Binks, the fact Anakin was a bit of a Mary Sue (but to be honest, he was more lucky than good). It was a good start to the saga oveall, you meet the main characters, had good special affects (for it's time), and a classic musical score. Overall, worth a watch.
February 6, 2018
I confess I actually enjoyed the prequels. There are some things I wish were different but overall I like them. After seeing The Last Jedi I have an even greater appreciation for them. I saw this one on opening day with my brother and was not disappointed. There are some things that some may find tedious such as trade negotiations and some light politics (not like watching C-SPAN) but those are important in understanding how the clone wars started and the Republic was thrown into such disarray. It is overall very enjoyable with lightsabre duels that are better than anything in the OT. Character dialog could have been better as with all Star Wars movies but overall the points are made and the film is a fun watch.
½ February 6, 2018
I like this movie it was good but definitely not the best the second worst after The Clone Wars which was good but boring this movie offers us totally different characters such as Qui Gon Jinn, Padme Amidala and shows us who Obi Won was before the trilogy and adds up in the character young Anakin was well played by Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar Binks was terrible in this movie he was stupidly funny and dumb and this movie showed how things were before the empire I enjoyed it way more than The Clone Wars Darth Maul was awesome in this movie no exceptions. Overall It was a great movie but could have been better.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 3
Age/Originality: 3
Total: 13/25
February 5, 2018
Really love this movie! Really!
½ February 1, 2018
Only two redeeming factors for this movie. The Pod Race and Darth Maul. Too bad they killed there coolest character and sent him off like a little baby. Apart from that this movie is absolutely boring. The lightsaber battles don't give you time to breathe and that isn't good because you don't feel any intensity. Overall this film is a huge disappointment. I liked it when I was 6 but I'm older now and I like to be my usual nit-picky self
Page 1 of 2030