Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2013
January 22, 2017
This is the best movie I have ever seen, any star wars fan would love this greatly made movie, I've watched this film over 10 times and the plot is rock solid, I also want to mention how this movie is NOT a cash grab from the movie studios.
January 19, 2017
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is a decent Star Wars film that effectively brings the saga into the new age of special effects and characters- from the fast paced lightsaber duels, to the impressive underwater city that the Gungans inhabit.
January 18, 2017
I think there are some pretty cool moments that happen throughout the this film. However, the over abundance of CGI (heavily dated now I might add), and poor efforts at comic relief make this star wars movie cringe worthy to watch in its entirety. When I start the star wars saga, it usually has this movie removed. One day I plan to make my own edit of this movie into about 30 minutes of the material I enjoy.
½ January 16, 2017
The for this movie is empty. It's slow, it has no character development and a plot you can easily get bored by.
½ January 14, 2017
It has its moments that will be remembered in the Star Wars saga, but the Phantom Menace's thin characters, heavy exposition, and lack of excitement will be remembered more.
½ January 14, 2017
I actually don't hate this movie. It just doesn't have the right feel for what a star wars movie really is. Not the story, not the dialouge, not the humor, not the esthetic, and not the midi chlorians or whatever those were called/
½ January 14, 2017
The movie itself is decent, but as a Star Wars movie, it lacks a good beginning to the Star Wars franchise.
½ January 14, 2017
CGI effects, bad writing, horrendously wooden acting, annoying comedy, and racial stereotypes along with no story. action scenes were fun though but Jar Jar Binks was racist and unfunny and Anakin was not even trying: i just said Screw You when he said now this is pod racing. THIS IS NOT STAR WARS!! PLEASE REVIEW THIS, DOUG WALKER!!!!!!! AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
January 11, 2017
Nota: 4.1/10 - 2.7/5
½ January 8, 2017
This movie has a terrible plot and awful dialogue and even worse acting, not too mention the contradictions between episodes 1 and 4!!
1/7/17
A long time ago, in a living room far, far away...
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Review
Good intention, but ill fate has engulfed George Lucas and Lucasfilm! Politics has taken a stranglehold on the greatest saga of all time, but not all hope is lost. We open with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and his padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) arriving at the Trade Federation's blockade of Naboo. There, Viceroy Nute Gunray (Silas Carson) try killing them. However, Qui-Gon won't have any of this, and he goes to look for them, to find them, and we never find out if he would try to kill them, because they're forced (no pun intended) to the planet surface, where they meet the character who automatically makes my rating lose half-a-star: Jar-Jar Binks (Ahmed Best). Long story short, Jar-Jar and the Jedi meet up with Queen Amidala (A rotation between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley) and various other security/handmaidens/other personnel, taking them to Tatooine, where we get a cool, albeit long, podracing sequence with Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), and we eventually get to Coruscant, where the politics bring the pacing to a near-screeching halt faster than a podracer. If you're susceptible to sleep (unlike me), this will put you there, but if you're a hardcore Star Wars fan (like me), it's bearable, especially when you look for E.T. in the senate chamber, signs of Jar-Jar being the Sith, or just care about this franchise like I do, but some visual excitement would be better. This plot is coherent, and the way George Lucas did it left much room for improvement. If Jar-Jar weren't as over-the-top (or a racist stereotype) as he was, Count Dooku wouldn't have been thrown into Episode II, and the whole Prequel trilogy would have been better. Jar-Jar aside, characters fare well: the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan relationship actually reflects decent chemistry, and Anakin and his mother's relationship can be seen, you just have to look as hard as you would for the E.T. cameo. Anakin's childish antics are not a bad thing, it actually enhances the impact of later movies (won't spoil it for those who have somehow not connected the dots), and his actions reflect how smart he is, and how strong in the force he'll be. What I won't let go is how much CGI was used. Some of it was decent (Coruscant, lightsabers, pod racers, space battles, etc), but the rest was hard to bear (Jar-Jar's only good quality is photorealism, but the big battle scene in the third act between gungans and droids was too obviously fake even for me). If you want high-quality Star Wars, this is not the film you're looking for, but if you want to understand the full canon and get an occasional good moment in this poorly-paced film that uses CGI excessively with mixed results, this is worth sitting through every now-and-then.
9/14/13
A long time ago (1977), in a galaxy far far away (In England, California, etc), George Lucas directed a near-perfect movie called Star Wars, then went into directoral hiatus, letting friends direct the sequels, and then he directs the first of three prequels. I personally enjoy it, having grown up on this one, while still having seen the original trilogy. I know a lot of people feel uncomfertable with their memories getting a CGI treatment, but I think this is a good movie. Don't get me wrong, I like the original trilogy too, but this is classic. We get familiar characters like Obi-Wan at a younger age, we get newcomers like Queen Amidala, and so many others, mayby a little too much, but still, I think they work well. The plot may be moderately boring to younger kids, but the good vs evil is still there, taking a small step back. While overly CGI to some older people, the best examples of improved CGI are Yoda (In the 2011 Blu-Ray re-release) underwater sea creatures, podraces, and much more are CGI, there were still puppets used for the basis, and real locations used. Mayby I shouldn't criticize what went into the movie, but what came out. I'd like to add that John Williams providing the soundtrack is still keeping Star Wars alive. The dialogue doesn't crackle, but there are still memorable lines. If I told you them, I'd simply be writing a summary, not a review. When your really look at it, this is George Lucas getting excited over new CGI effects originally brought to use in Jurassic Park. Just, mayby a little too much for older fans. Just, see this movie, it's a good time killer.
2/11/12
Star Wars Episode I is a great film. All I think it lacks is excellent dialouge. You've got the amusing characters like Jar-Jar, the pretty girl Padmà (C), the little boy Anakin, and the bad ass Darth Maul. This 3D version has improved visuals, including (spoilers) replacing that god-awful puppet Yoda with biologically logical CGI Yoda. Let's not forget they fixed the frame. (End spoilers) For those of you who did not like Episode I at first, this might be worth your time. The plot's the smae, but it's something if you're a hardcore Star Wars fan like me.
January 7, 2017
Star Wars Episode I, the worst one. It is mainly bland besides they iconic Darth Maul fight scene and Podracing scene. It is overall a "meh" movie.
January 7, 2017
I am sad that so many people could not recognise greatness of this movie. Some said too much Tatooine time, but I love this planet so much and those races are so well done ! Of course Anakin is annoying (when grown up) and it was very clear even then that he will end up on dark side, he was rebelling constantly. Maybe this movie does not reach original trilogy still if we consider what kind of movies are getting over 60% rates and this movie got only 55% it hurts me and makes me angry ! Carefully watch this movie and all beautifully done effects and story, there is so much perfection, all looks totally realistic like you are there ! And no, not one minute was boring for me ! I am not saying this movie should get over 90%, but it should clearly get 70% at least and 75% most. Please try to do one thing, forget what others told about movie and just watch is with open mind and you will see movie so well made, George Lucas was so much insulted by this movie reviews and rates, and that was unjustful!
½ January 4, 2017
The end result when George Lucas is left to his own devices: am empty, irrelevant story with little regard to cinematic grace and fluidity. However, it should be commended for its dazzling computer animation, which legitimizes Lucas' otherwise ridiculous imagination.
January 4, 2017
Shameful prequel that tarnished Star Wars for many years. Thank god JJ Abrams resurrected this corpse.
January 3, 2017
I wanted to like this movie; some of the plot was interesting. However, the computer animation was SO fake/corny that at times it seemed like I was watching a video game; not a movie. Maybe people who like video games like this movie; not me. It's a lousy movie and the acting is devoid of any real emotion or drama.
½ January 3, 2017
Not only is this movie better than The Force Awakens, it's more fun and actually feels like Star Wars. I have a new appreciation for the Prequels after the release of TFA. The critics were way too hard on this flick and way too easy on TFA.
½ January 3, 2017
Worst movie ever period
½ January 2, 2017
es buena, a mi me gusto,a mi no me molesta jar jar binks,me cae un poco bien
½ January 2, 2017
Underated! No its not a perfect movie and it is on the down side of the saga but the movie has substance even though it tends to lack emotion.
Page 1 of 2013