Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Page 1 of 2014
½ March 28, 2017
It's a terrible movie!
March 27, 2017
This picture has gradually grown on me over the years and I think it has earned its rightful place, not without the help of time, as a classic amongst the fantasty/sci-fi genre.
March 26, 2017
D-
The new ideas and visuals are aesthetically pleasing for fans of the original trilogy and the John Williams score is terrific, but the script, actors, and director don't inject the fun of the original trilogy to balance it all out.
March 23, 2017
glad l was one watching star wars film and l only heard there fans might talking about were not compate prequel trilogy and the might have one the worst star wars movie, so all hand gesture all these have preview past which lm not haven't see it but l bought dvd disc replay there all old and new collecter have many nerd want check it out, and l only been there 3 location where there but trust me you see it. so then George lucas want audience to want it know it mail pack it which have another story back before star wars first one. George bail money 20 fox century kept idealization George try better truly where it how galaxy far far away. then he screw it.
March 23, 2017
It wasn't the best, but doesn't mean it wasn't good. Personally being a Star
Wars fan, I liked it! The good acting and story makes up for bad acting Jar Jar.
½ March 23, 2017
Everyone hated this Star Wars... I loved it! I love the dual in this particular Star Wars, two words... Darth Maul. Unlike the original trilogy, the Prequel Trilogy is a political triller. Very much my cup of tea. Yes, there could have been moments that could have been better directed, moving the story along much more quickly, but at the same time this film allows characters to be developed.
½ March 22, 2017
A sad start to a new trilogy into one of my favorite franchises ever. The villain is amazing and some of the characters really work, such as Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. But the narrative is just a struggle to get through. I found myself bored when Obi-Wan or Darth Maul were not present. Jar Jar Binks is just the worst character ever invented. George Lucas what were you thinking my man?
March 21, 2017
Overall disappointing, but that lightsaber fight was pretty cool!
March 20, 2017
George Lucas' directing career has been very limited. So much so in fact that the last project he helmed before 'Phantom Menace' was the first Star Wars flick, 'A New Hope' back in 1977.
Episode I is nothing special when compared to what went before, & this film needed to be, if only to justify re-visiting the Star Wars universe.
The use of CGI (the quality of which is by no means a high point in this CGI-laden opus) bogs down any humanity & heart in the story & acting, & results in the creation of the first & most annoying computer animated character ever committed to film (just because you have the technology & money to do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea).
Natalie Portman is the most wooden of the cast, where as Neeson & McGregor try but fail to achieve anything with their rather two-dimensional roles.
Despite it showing the origins of Anakin Skywalker, 'Phantom Menace' - along with it's follow-up 'Attack Of The Clones' - is a very pointless film, & one which should really never have been made. In deed, the film is so poorly observed that it neglects the more interesting characters such as Darth Maul in favour of including C-3PO & R2-D2 (a very unwise decision).
March 16, 2017
Star wars the phantom menace not only managed to be one of the most disappointing films of all time, it didn't even manage to be a good star wars movie. Almost nothing works and 95% of the scenes are just boring. There's no characters developed, the CGI is terrible, it's boring, the acting is awful, and it never manages to entertain.
½ March 13, 2017
This movie is not good, however it is not as bad as everyone says it is in my opinion. I think the real reason people hate this movie is that it's not just bad, but it was extremely disappointing, which granted it is. There is awful acting, awful CGI, awful characters, characters act like robots, ironically the robots feel more human. This movie also introduces Jar Jar, the worst character, not only in star wars, but ever. If you loved the original series, then I recommend it I guess. But if you're not a huge star wars fan, just skip the prequels.
March 13, 2017
This movie has some good elements, like the Jedi, Darth Maul, and a lot of world building. But it also had Jar Jar and kid Anakin. It could have used some rewrites and another person keeping Lucas in check but it was still an alright movie. But alright in such a classic franchise does't cut it.
½ March 10, 2017
Characters don't have characters, annoying kid, cgi bad even by 1999 standards, boring plot and I won't even go into Jar Jar. I don't even consider this a Star Wars movie.
March 10, 2017
It was a bad time for Jedi.
March 9, 2017
I enjoyed act 3 that's about it
March 9, 2017
Star Wars Saga's absurd order of the first, but in chronological order, the fourth part does not reach the level of the previous films, but the quality remains (at least in my opinion) the positive side. In this work on the Star Wars films most humorous point of view, but, fortunately, it works just fine.
The characters are once again strange, but the overall appearance is somewhat humorous, but it does not handicap much. Such orcs Viewing brings to mind a little bit hilarious opinions.
Jar Jar Binks is still in the midst of these humorous creatures serious problem. Not that kind of foolish face and slurred and the yokel countries can not stand anyone, even if such a batty fool fell Viewing and misfortune seems a little funny. Nonetheless, quite reasonably good plot can catch up, and that's it time to pass, when only the opinion attached to the story of the new stuff (racing events), and, of course, good old-fashioned lightsaber battles.
March 7, 2017
This prequel series can eat my shaft!
March 6, 2017
This movie is just not good even by 1999's standards. Before Rogue One was released, this was the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen (spin offs not included). I do not remember much about episode 2, but it's definitely worse than episode 3 from memory (I'll go over both movies when I get the chance to watch them again). The characters are bland, some actors sound bad or monotone, the effects look like they're out of an animated movie and not real (the CGI might have been good for back then), there's a lack of tension, the pod race was boring, jar jar binks was not funny (although I didn't get annoyed by him), and there was too much cluttered stuff. Oh yeah, the plot is all over the place and has holes. I great example of this is the council warns about Anakin possibly being evil and they later just accept. What?
March 5, 2017
Not the best Star Wars film, but Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn and Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi are excellent. The climactic fight between Darth Maul and the two Jedi one of the best lightsaber duels in all of Star Wars.
March 5, 2017