Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2031
March 18, 2018
Is incredibly innovated with incredible backgrounds, has a kids comedy that felt very shocking because of the contrast with the political drama plot that has, also has sweet characters that felt real in it and good action sequences
March 17, 2018
I so wanted this to be better! But still, any Star Wars movie is better than most movies out there
March 15, 2018
Give this one more credit. Lucas did a great job and this is the direction he wanted to go in.
½ March 12, 2018
When it came out the theaters were full for weeks. The bad comments didn't come till later when the Internet created the copy cats. Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn make it a great movie. The robots had to be show as an insufficient force, thus the need for the Clone army to be more effective. The technology and story couldn't outshine New Hope or it would seem like the galaxy when backward by the time of the Death Star. Thus Lucas walked that line.
Yes, Jar Jar and the Gungan's could have been done better, but the rest of the movie was strong.
March 12, 2018
Should have been better, so much of this movie could be cut out and you's loose nothing from the overall story. THough one of the best lightsaber fights in a Star Wars movie
March 11, 2018
worst sequel of all time
½ March 10, 2018
What is interesting about the prequels, which in my opinion fall short of the original, is that is is the brain child of the same director/producer creator, George Lucas. yet at the same time, they don't measure up to what some fans, including myself, enjoyed about the original saga. I think that Menace is probably the strongest of the three, I would rank them as 1. menace, 2. Revenge of the sith, 3. attack of the clones. While there are dazzling scenes, incredible costumes, good choreographed light saber fights, Darth Maul is a great villain, and it was nice to see the Star Wars universe back on the big screen, the phantom menace pointed to a lurking future menace, and it turned out to be the next two films. There was just too much thrown on to the screen, the jedi are shown having powers that they don't put to use in the rest of the movie, an overly complicated plot, the explanation of the force "mediclorians" or whatever they were called, the Jar Jar character that was annoying as heck. One thing that has to be mentioned however, is the foresight Lucas seems to have had, as democracy dies in the republic and a power hungry selfish politician slowly consolidates power to become a dictator...hmmm who does that sound like?
March 9, 2018
aside from the boring politics and that annoying gungan, star wars episode i is a blast.
March 9, 2018
Fun, exiting, with an interesting lore, star wars the phantom menace still managed to tell a better story than a large portion of storytelling today.
March 7, 2018
cuando tenia 13 años me daba igual star wars pero ví esta pelicula y me empecé a viciar. soy de los que me gusta el episodio 1. mucho más que las de disney.
March 6, 2018
La amenaza fantasma se ha convertido en una cinta incomprendida, principalmente por dos factores: los frikis de star wars y su poca amplitud de miras, y una critica reticente e impostadamente reacia a la ciencia ficción en general. Más allá de estos prejuicios injustos, subyace una película muy especial, que se yergue descomunal sobre todo lo demás. Su mayor logro tal vez sea confeccionar el mundo de ficción más maravilloso e interesante que el septimo arte haya visto jamás: Naboo. Un universo rebullente rebosante de magia y creatividad, con el reino como eje central de la trama. Es posiblemente el realengo naboo, con su preciosista y estilizada estética neo-renacentista, lo mejor que esta saga ha dado en tantas películas. No solo ofrece un majestuoso espectaculo visual, sino que además de su pompa fastuosa hay toda una reivindicación del mito de la diosa, encarnada por una Natalie Portman imponente, solemne hasta la magnificiencia en sus galas de reina, y carismática heroína intrépida en sus escenas de acción. Probablemente la parte del desierto sea la más farragosa; es la única pega: el no ver más de esa pompa bombátisca, que fuese tan breve contemplar esa elegancia, podriamos decir ya por derecho propio , "nabusiana".
½ March 4, 2018
So many people have hated on this movie, which is understandable, that it's hard to like the Phantom Menace without being criticised or ignored. From my point of view, the negatives far outweigh the positives in this move, but this movie does have positives. The opening credits are so memorable and iconic to Star Wars that no-one can associate it with anything else. It's the exact same for Phantom Menace. Though a bit more choral than the rest of the fanfares, Williams pulls through on a great musical festival. Soon after the invasion begins we are treated to a visual spectacle to match the aural one of the fanfare. When the film was still in production there were periodic video diaries released on the web to whet our appetite - it was one of the first movies to really do this. I remember viewing each one with great excitement, watching the craftsmen and women bringing George's vision to life, and seeing the movie come together bit by bit. One of my favorite bits was seeing the new locations being created and the level of detail involved in them. The flyby of the Royal Palace in Theed and our first glimpse of the planet-wide city of Coruscant blew my mind, with their renaissance and art deco inspired themes and you really can't beat seeing them.The Phantom Menace was the only one of the prequels that was filmed in their spiritual home, England (where all three of the original trilogy movies where made). This means that the supporting cast are predominantly English, or at least from the UK. Probably the biggest and most well known of the cameo roles goes to acclaimed actor Terence Stamp. I'd totally forgotten he was even in the film, his role as the pre-Palpatine chancellor was so brief. Two scenes, and then he was ousted in a carefully orchestrated coup by the scheming senator from Naboo. You may remember him from his role as General Zod in Superman II. Ben Burtt redefined what sound could bring to a movie with his ground breaking work on the original Star Wars and he continues it throughout The Phantom Menace. Of course the lightsabers, blasters and crazy languages are all present, but it's with effects like the Pod Racer engines where he and his team really excelled themselves this time. They bring together the best elements of F1 cars, fighter jets, drag racers and motorbikes to enhance the feeling of the speed these machines travel at. Each Pod sounds different, but it's Sebulba's that takes the crown. The part where he speeds up behind Anakin's tiny chariot and we're almost deafened by the 'whump, whump, whump' of his two giant jet engines is just amazing when it's filling the whole auditorium. The duel is also great It's very hard to remember that before Phantom Menace, the only lightsaber battles we'd seen were between a) two old dudes, b) an old dude and a student taught by old dudes and c) a student and snow beast, so seeing the threesome of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Maul battling away, with their blades swooping and swishing at hitherto unknown speeds was simply breathtaking. Sure, it probably went on a bit too long, that choir really did get on my nerves, and what on earth were the red forcefields all about? Oh, yeah, a plot device. But seeing the Jedi in their prime, fighting at the very peak of fitness with all their skill and energy - and still almost being beaten - was a great spectacle. Massive credit to the fight choreographer Nick Gillard and to Ewan MacGregor, who apparently broke 300 lightsaber props during rehearsals and constantly made his own lightsaber sound effects as he fought Ray Park with such enthusiasm that his blade actually connected a good number of times. Long before Neeson defined his career with name-taking, wolf-punching roles in films like "Taken" and "The Grey," the Irish actor got to play one of the biggest bad-asses in the galactic history: a Jedi Knight. The morally grey Qui-Gon Jinn slices and dices droids, uses his Jedi powers to cheat and manipulate, and chooses to train a force-sensitive kid (Anakin) whom he knows might be bad news, just so he can stick it to the Jedi Council. However, there are also many bad things. One of them is Anakin Skywalker. You can't really blame a precocious child actor for turning in sickeningly precocious performance. After all, that's what Lucas hired young Jake Lloyd to do. Between his poorly delivered lines and with Lucas's cringe-worthy dialogue, viewers won't know whether to laugh or cry when Lloyd is on screen. One of the major subplots of the prequel trilogy is how the humble Senator Palpatine of Naboo became the evil Emperor of the galaxy. But when you're selling audiences on a new "Star Wars" movie, they go in expecting one thing: swashbuckling adventures in space. What they aren't banking on - and what you definitely shouldn't be giving them -- are boring galactic senate hearings, overwrought trade negotiations, and behind-the-scenes political machinations. That's not "Star Wars," that's C-SPAN in space! The pod race is really good: the sci-fi equivalent to the chariot races of Ancient Rome, pod racing is one of the most dangerous sports in the galaxy -- so why not let an 8-year-old child participate! Two giant engines towing a tiny cockpit behind at nearly supersonic speeds, looping around a deadly track full of obstacles. The race is a blast and one of the film's standout sequences. With the addition of 3D (and an extra lap previously only found on the DVD/Blu-ray) the pod race just barely justifies the re-release. However the racial and Ethnis stereotypes are bad. It might be lost on the kids, but "The Phantom Menace" is full of terrible ethnic and racial stereotypes. Despite not being human, comic sidekick Jar Jar Binks, junk dealer Watto, and the hapless Neimoidian Trade Federation representatives are all unfortunate, and very human, caricatures of real life minorities. At most, many films have two intertwining plots to close out a film. "The Phantom Menace" had four, each more uninteresting than the last: the duel, the space battle, the land war, and the battle for the palace. The shift in tone between these plot lines is a jarring experience for the viewers. It's hard to find the "hilarious" wartime antics of Jar Jar Binks funny when you've just seen Qui-Gon Jinn get cut down by Darth Maul. There's something to be said for Hollywood's practice of polishing a script. Several writers usually work on a single screenplay before it's ready for the big screen, and there's a reason for that. When left in the hands of a single person, screenplays are often terrible. It takes a fresh pair of eyes to point out the shortcomings present in a labour of love like a script. "The Phantom Menace" script is all Lucas, and it's painfully obvious. Lucas reportedly brought in screenwriter Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption," "The Walking Dead") to give him notes on the script, but it didn't seem to help much.
March 2, 2018
Look, I know this movie has flaws. I don't care. I waited for this movie for years. I devoured any information I could find out. I wanted the second trilogy that Lucas had promised. I knew it wasn't perfect, and at 19, I knew it couldn't be perfect. It was fun! It was so much fun because I wasn't stupid enough to whine about the minutia and just watch the damn movie and that badass podracing scene. Oh, dear, the lightsaber battles are unemotional dances, and they are delightful, fast-paced kung-fu exhibitions. You get the same from Chinese action films. You don't complain about those! Jar Jar Binks? Yeah, there was too much of him, but I didn't dislike him. There could have been less of him, but he wasn't a completely incompatible character. Bad CGI? It was all relatively new, and it was the best at the time. Please, find me a movie from 1999 with better CGI. Somehow, it's supposed to hold up to the 2010s? This can't be the hill you're choosing to die on. Star Wars has never been made for art critics. It's made for people who want to switch their brains off and just have a blast, and if you can unpucker your asses long enough to stop whining problems that in the final order of things are entirely cosmetic (and I do understand that some can't) you might just actually enjoy it.
February 27, 2018
My personal all time favorite of all the saga. It is a shame that it has been Labeled to be the worst film ever and destroying people's childhood. With an open mind though, it is a dazzling film. All the political details in Episode I are nessesary to set up Palpatine's power grab. Anakin needs to be a young child because taking a 9 year old away from his mom is going to have a big effect. Exposition can be slow, but doesn't stop it from being FUN! Sure the CGI might be hard to look at by TODAY's standards, BUT that shouldn't stop people from enjoying what the movie has to offer. Jar Jar Binks is a funny character and can be distracting, but he still has a purpose in all of this. Star Wars is ment to be seen as a full saga of the Tragedy Of Carth Vader and his redemption. The Phantom Menace shows how Anakin's path to the dark side was almost inevitable from the start. From The Jedi Order narrow mindedness and fear of loss and his emotional connection to Padmé. Episode I has its place and offers new things we have never seen before in the Saga. The Podracer is exhilarating and the Senate scene is fun because you see how Palpatine is so mitiulate about how he will turn the Senate on Valorum's back. The Battle of Naboo on all 4 fronts is truly the best part of the film. A space battle just a cool as the ones in the originals and a big ground battle. Not to mention the epic Lightsaber duel and the Score. Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace doesn't deserve all the flack it gets and maybe you should go back and rewatch it with an open mind.
½ February 25, 2018
C'mon... well at least... uh...
February 24, 2018
Undeniably the worst Star Wars movie to date. It will be hard to make a movie this stiff, unfunny, cringe-inducing, uninteresting, bland movie that seems to be more compelled to create a Jedi C-Span with one good fight scene than to create a compelling Star Wars action movie. Ditch the politics and give me more Duel of Fates and this movie would be good.
½ February 24, 2018
You know what they say, everyone needs somewhere to sh#t, I guess this is where George Lucas went. Literally one of the worst films ever made other than the other two Star Wars prequels movies. When you have to generate 2 different tv series to help unf#*@ the mess that is the prequels, you know you messed up.
February 22, 2018
Anyone can critique the prequel films for hours nonstop and make a lot of logical points. At the end of the day though, all of the prequels are still better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The prequels had some of the best lightsaber duels and fight choreography in the series, the films didn't ruin already established characters (Han Solo, General Leia, Admiral Akbar, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, etc.), the films featured a lot of different characters the fans cared about so much, fantastic soundtrack, original plots, a lot of world-building showcasing the lore of the Star Wars universe, no Mary Sues or Gary Stus, and no SJW propaganda in sight. Sure characters such as Obi-Wan and Anakin had plot armor at times, but both lost in a duel against Count Dooku in Episode II. The dumbest scene in The Phantom Menace was little Anakin blowing up the battle droid control ship. He's a good pod-racer, but it's a bit stupid to see a kid that young accomplish what the adult, experienced pilots failed to do in the Naboo space battle. All in all, the pod-race scene, the Battle of Naboo between the gungans and battle droids, and the lightsaber duel between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon Jinn at the end of the film made it worth watching. The last half hour was great despite the idiotic scenes with Anakin. Perhaps, the film would have been better with less Jar Jar and an older Anakin.
February 19, 2018
I love this movie' it deserves no hate. That also goes for all the prequels.
Page 1 of 2031