Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2017
½ July 26, 2017
Extremely far off from being as much of a timeless classic as the three original films, but nowhere near as bad as some of the criticisms may suggest. The first chapter of the prequel trilogy remains the most underrated of the entire franchise. Its main flaws come from the infamously annoying CGI character (who does not deserve to be named), a lack of backstory for the flashy antagonist, and a few silly moments and narrative points. But when the film does work, it works extremely well, and the good does indeed outweigh the bad. The performances from Neeson and McGreggor are very good, the visuals are as breakthrough for its time as the 1977 original's were, and John Williams' score is as magnificent as ever (especially in the "Duel of Fates" sequence). It also has thrilling and dazzling action, particularly in the pod-race scene and the epic lightsaber duel in its climax.
½ July 26, 2017
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is the first movie to the Star Wars Prequels. I think the movie was really entertaining and enjoyable enough to say it's an okay film. I do think the Star Wars Prequel are REALLY underrated, but that does not mean I think they are as good a the originals not in the least, but I do think it deserves better than what people say about it. The story is okay, but the storytelling is a little bit off, the acting is pretty good, the characters are also good (including Jar Jar Binks even though he can be a little off in the movie I still enjoy him). The CGI is not bad , but noir is it the best. But everything else in the movie is good.
½ July 23, 2017
dono how people can say this is a horrible film it was one of the best for its time
July 23, 2017
The Phantom Menace is still an exciting, unique addition to the Star Wars saga.
½ July 23, 2017
Everything that can be said about this movie has been said...so I'll keep it short and brief because the hate for the prequels just sounds like a broken record at this point.. listen...from a purely artificial entertainment level,Darth Maul is awesome, but George Lucas chose to make a Sith who looked cool and had a cool light saber instead of a character... there is so character there. So going from one of the best villains put to film with Darth Vader,to a guy with a cool light saber is really...bad..this is by no means the worst movie ever made,people who genuinely think that are either stupid,or have never seen an actual TERRIBLE movie before, but I think it's just so boring and lacks any heart or charm.
½ July 20, 2017
"The Phantom Menace" is not good film. In comparioson with the original trilogy the it was really disappointing. The film had a stunning cast like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman or Ian McDiarmid, but they couldn't do their best having a really bad script. Their acting looks unrealistic because the main part of this film was shot on green screen. The film adds new uninteresting characters to the film and forced in characters from the original trilogy like C-3PO or R2-D2 doing nearly nothing for the uninteresting plot of the film which is about the taxation of trade routes.
In conclusion "The Phantom Menace" doesn't deserve to be called "Star Wars" and i it was'nt a film in the Star Wars Canon The Phantom Menace the film wouldn't be remembered as a film at all.
July 20, 2017
This a disgrace to the Star Wars franchise
I would not recommend this or attack of the clones this movie had potential and then jar jar bunks showed up
½ July 17, 2017
Bleh is a good way to describe this movie. Minus the maul scene, this movie is very forgettable. You could remove this from the saga and it wouldnt take one thing away for the whole scheme of star wars movie canon.
July 16, 2017
Had so much great potential with the storytelling and the characters...but the direction and execution of it all is why The Phantom Menace is far from being any where near a good movie
½ July 15, 2017
Yeah yeah, I know I'm supposed to hate this movie, but I don't. The hyperbolic hate for Jar Jar is not enough to make me turn on it. It nicely develops the Star Wars universe and deepens the mythology. Sure, it's a little overlong, and the mundane politics suck some of the life out of it, but then you get some Darth Maul action. And what a fantastic score!
July 15, 2017
This was arguably the most anticipated film of all time when it was announced. The public had waited 16 years since Return of the Jedi for another Star Wars film and, unfortunately, it was a disappointment. The film on its own isn't terrible, but when compared to the original trilogy, it really is pretty bad. The characters are boring, stale, and lifeless. When you watch this film I challenge you to decipher who the main character is; that is an impossible task because there is none. The story has too many plotholes to count, and it never looked real due to the fact that half the time there was no real set, only a blue screen. Little Anakin Skywalker can be pretty annoying at times. Not to mention Jar Jar Binks, who is clearly there for comic relief (neither of which he delivers). The dialogue can be pretty bad at times too ("Are you an angel?" being a prime example). The film does have some redeeming qualities. John Williams score is excellent, and the fight scenes were choreographed wonderfully. That about does it for the good parts of this film, though. Overall, Episode I is a blue screen mess with bad dialogue and plotholes galore, with a few nice touches here and there. Would not reccomend. Two stars.
½ July 13, 2017
Crappy CGI, ridiculous acting, an origin story that no one wanted to know and an assortment of needless, totally uninteresting scenes, from filler shots to boring conversations, all strung together in a clumsy manner. Jar Jar Binks wins the award of shittiest comic relief ever, worthy actors get good pay checks to say shitty lines in a shitty way and the characters are as flat as it gets. 135 very underwhelming minutes - plus a good one: the fight between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul.
July 10, 2017
Though there's good special effects and a couple good action sequences, it suffers from generic characters (and some annoying ones), sloppy pacing, and sometimes feels more like a political drama (a boring political drama at that) than a Star Wars movie. Not terrible, but not the best start for the prequels.
July 9, 2017
I used to watch it when I was a little kid, my favourite is anakin.
July 9, 2017
It's my least favorite Star Wars movie, but it's not bad.The acting is ok, the music is great and the plot is just sub par with the stupid politics. Jar Jar and Anakin are just two reasons of why this movie is my least favorite.
½ July 5, 2017
Many people seem to think Attack Of The Clones is the worst movie out of ALL the Star Wars films, but in my opinion, The Phantom Menace is the worst one. I won't deny that the light saber battles are fun to watch, Darth Maul is a really cool villain, and the pod racing scene was pretty cool too, but the plot is so confusing, and the political dialogue only makes it even harder for me to follow.
July 5, 2017
aww come on is not that... that... bad....
July 4, 2017
A amazing film not the best though
½ July 2, 2017
It had so much potential but was not what I came to expect from the SW franchise. Star Wars is an action, adventure franchise and there is too much politics in The Phantom Menace, not to mention the Jar Jar is completely unnecessary and could easily be removed.
½ July 1, 2017
So boring huge letdown for star wars
Page 1 of 2017