Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2018
½ August 19, 2017
It was an ok movie but the story was bad
August 19, 2017
I remember the starwars movies being some of the best parts of my childhood, until George Lucas took a huge dump on them when he made the prequels.
August 16, 2017
This is the original and best Star Wars ever created. For the first episode in the saga, it has proven to be far superior to any of the it's sequels. The Sequels were either far worse in the acting department, or lacked an overall seriousness to the plot. The plot is very enriching to anyone's life and they can learn a lesson from it. A young boy named Anakin that was the chosen?! the movie shows that ANYONE can be the chosen one.

Now I have heard that some people are quite upset over how Jar Jar (the main protagonist) was portrayed. They say he is too childish and makes the movie more for kids, I say they created him like Oedipus, he had a flaw that he had to overcome. And he used that flaw. He overcame it during a battle, and proved his worth. His child like clumsiness is what drove the movie forward. He was a catalyst that the plot centralized around. He was obviously too good for the now six other movies. The writers of the next six movies were so astounded with how well the movie turned out that they decided that it was considered unfair to place him in the other ones in fear that they would rake in too much money.

I am saddened with the low 55% on this movie and everyone's low stars. I believe that anything less than 5 star is just trying to purposely make this movie look worse so the others get more attention. Like everyone always says, the first is always better than the sequels... The clear second best movie though, was quite obviously Episode 3.... they made up for it by allowing Anakin to have the deepest and darkest thoughts that turned him evil to make way for the following movies that came out at a later date.
August 14, 2017
The Phantom Menace is the movie that, at the time, was "the beginning of the end". The characters and dialogue were beyond horrible, and the only people who might enjoy this are children and undemanding mega fans.
August 14, 2017
I liked the pod race, Darth Maul, and Liam Neeson. Everything else about this movie is garbage.
½ August 11, 2017
It could be a lot worse ... believe me! Off course, "The Phantom Menace" is responsable (as well as George Lucas' direction and decisions) of making the Star Wars prequels trilogy one of the most dissappointing trilogies in the cinema history. This movie is dumb, doll and just playing serious. The cast is good, but some actors are really badly used. Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson are playing himselves, but Jake Lloyd could be a lot worse. But Jar Jar Binks couldn't ... he just couldn't.
½ August 10, 2017
Extremely far off from being as much of a timeless classic as the three original films, but nowhere near as bad as some of the criticisms may suggest. The first chapter of the prequel trilogy remains the most underrated of the entire franchise. Its main flaws come from the infamously annoying CGI character, a lack of backstory for the flashy antagonist, and a few silly moments and narrative points. But when the film does work, it works extremely well, and the good does indeed outweigh the bad. The performances from Neeson and McGreggor are very good, the visuals are as breakthrough for its time as the 1977 original's were, and John Williams' score is as magnificent as ever (especially in the "Duel of Fates" sequence). It also has thrilling and dazzling action, particularly in the pod-race scene and the epic lightsaber duel in its climax.
August 7, 2017
Even though the CGI is overused WAY TOO MUCH, even though this prequel has one of the worst Star Wars characters, who's NONE OTHER ELSE Jar Jar Binks, even though I don't like young Anakin in this prequel, even though I hate alien species, who are the Gungans, hear me out, but I don't think this prequel was that bad, guys. The CGI worlds in this movie like Naboo are honesty great, Liam Nesson as Qui-Gon and Evan McGregor as young Obi-Wan were pretty good Jedi roles, and also...DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON HOW GREAT DARTH MAUL IS!!! His Zabrak design was great and his personality as a Sith apprentice was great, everything I love about Maul is awesome. And plus, do I even need to mention probably one of the BEST scenes from the Star Wars franchise since the battle between Luke and Vader in Cloud City!? I honestly thought the movie was OK.
August 6, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time.
August 6, 2017
Fifth best movie of all time.
July 30, 2017
While The Phantom Menace does not nearly hold to the original trilogy, it does make anyone who loves Star Wars feel like they are back where they belong. The movie is loads of fun to watch with new improvements on CGI that the original trilogy could never have along with a great set of actors. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor shine as they prepare to embark on the new trilogy. The pod race scene was awesome to watch and the final battle against the menacing Darth Maul was almost like seeing a true lightsaber fight for the first time. One of the things this movie does very well is that it shows the audience what the Star Wars universe looked like before the rise of the Empire. There were jedi, sith lords, and the force was something that everyone was used to unlike the original's where Darth Vader was the only one who could use the Force. Yes, the movie had its moments where it was just not good, sometimes more than the times that it was. First of all, this movie did NOT have to be 2 hours and 11 minutes. The whole Coruscant scene took up about 40 minutes of this movie. Way too long! And some characters were more brought out than they needed to be a.k.a Jar Jar Binks. Lucas could've easily improved this by at least adding a little action into these scenes but unfortunately they were filled with political speeches. Who though Star Wars would turn into politics? Overall, The Phantom Menace was not a bad movie, but it wasn't anywhere close to great. I would recommend this movie to any true Star Wars fan but be warned, if you show any kid under 12 this movie, they may fall asleep when they hit Coruscant.
½ July 26, 2017
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is the first movie to the Star Wars Prequels. I think the movie was really entertaining and enjoyable enough to say it's an okay film. I do think the Star Wars Prequel are REALLY underrated, but that does not mean I think they are as good a the originals not in the least, but I do think it deserves better than what people say about it. The story is okay, but the storytelling is a little bit off, the acting is pretty good, the characters are also good (including Jar Jar Binks even though he can be a little off in the movie I still enjoy him). The CGI is not bad , but noir is it the best. But everything else in the movie is good.
½ July 23, 2017
dono how people can say this is a horrible film it was one of the best for its time
July 23, 2017
The Phantom Menace is still an exciting, unique addition to the Star Wars saga.
½ July 23, 2017
Everything that can be said about this movie has been said...so I'll keep it short and brief because the hate for the prequels just sounds like a broken record at this point.. listen...from a purely artificial entertainment level,Darth Maul is awesome, but George Lucas chose to make a Sith who looked cool and had a cool light saber instead of a character... there is so character there. So going from one of the best villains put to film with Darth Vader,to a guy with a cool light saber is really...bad..this is by no means the worst movie ever made,people who genuinely think that are either stupid,or have never seen an actual TERRIBLE movie before, but I think it's just so boring and lacks any heart or charm.
½ July 20, 2017
"The Phantom Menace" is not good film. In comparioson with the original trilogy the it was really disappointing. The film had a stunning cast like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman or Ian McDiarmid, but they couldn't do their best having a really bad script. Their acting looks unrealistic because the main part of this film was shot on green screen. The film adds new uninteresting characters to the film and forced in characters from the original trilogy like C-3PO or R2-D2 doing nearly nothing for the uninteresting plot of the film which is about the taxation of trade routes.
In conclusion "The Phantom Menace" doesn't deserve to be called "Star Wars" and i it was'nt a film in the Star Wars Canon The Phantom Menace the film wouldn't be remembered as a film at all.
July 20, 2017
This a disgrace to the Star Wars franchise
I would not recommend this or attack of the clones this movie had potential and then jar jar bunks showed up
½ July 17, 2017
Bleh is a good way to describe this movie. Minus the maul scene, this movie is very forgettable. You could remove this from the saga and it wouldnt take one thing away for the whole scheme of star wars movie canon.
Page 1 of 2018