Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2011
November 30, 2016
if they used darth maul throughout the trilogy and gave character development a shot in any of these 3 awful movies I would score it higher. absolutely awful movie though. awful.
½ November 28, 2016
Here we jump into the saga of the fall of the Republic from several viewpoints. It takes awhile to appreciate.
November 27, 2016
Terrible CG, terrible writing, and terrible acting.
½ November 25, 2016
There's a great movie in this, but it's lost due to silly and crude humor and bland performances.
½ November 25, 2016
Phantom Menace suffers from political jargon, a deathly annoying side character, a strange love story, and an overload of CGI, but Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul are the highlight of the film.
November 24, 2016
Good film. Wish the 3D version of it would be put to Blu-ray. 2D version is on Blu-ray.
November 23, 2016
Though the new characters in this first prequel are not so compelling as from the earlier chapters, The Phantom Menace boasts dazzling visuals and it manages to give the franchise a well-built background.
November 22, 2016
It's Star Wars enough said
November 15, 2016
This movie did not live up to it's massive potential. And it's not because expectations were too high. It was just bad.

Now, I love this movie. It was my first Star Wars experience as a child and I've been hooked ever since. But now that I can objectively look back at this film as an adult, it's so clear to me why people disliked this movie so much. The worst part was the script. The script was garbage. Not even Liam Neeson, Ewen McGregor, and Samuel Jackson's exceptional acting capabilities could make up for it. There were only a few good scenes in this movie that could simply serve as an introduction to Attack of The Clones. Other than that, this movie barely contributes to the overarching plot of the Star Wars story. And don't even get me started on pod-racing, trade federations, and all of the other politics. Also, Jar Jar Binks was just terrible. Phantom Menace is definitely the worst film in the Star Wars saga, which is a shame considering the potential.

However, as I stated before, it was my first Star Wars experience that I still can obtain nostalgia from. So for that, I still can watch this movie without total dissatisfaction.
½ November 11, 2016
While it certainly isn't what you would look for if you want to have the best time of time of your life, it is still fairly enjoyable and starts off the trilogy that is otherwise pretty decent.
½ November 7, 2016
Highly anticipated film proved a huge disappointment despite its great potential. Any momentum the story generates is undermined by badly timed slapstick from poorly conceived computer generated characters. Ultimate battle scene between the Gungans and droids is nothing more than a cartoon; with Jar Jar's accidental heroism particularly insulting.
½ October 28, 2016
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Now it's a bit of a guilty pleasure movie for me, but it builds to a kick-ass final showdown with characters that probably should've been shown more in the franchise (excluding Obi-Wan).
October 19, 2016
Still the most well-made of the prequels, with plenty of live sets, miniatures, puppets, costumes, make-up, and choreographed stunt work peppered throughout the dated CGI to call back to the original films in our minds and "feel" like a true Star Wars film despite its flaws.
October 16, 2016
An underrated movie, not as bad as everyone says
½ October 15, 2016
Just no. I love me some Star Wars, but this was bad. I do love the Duel of the Fates, and the Podracing, but no on everything else. Especially Jar-Jar freaking Binks.
October 13, 2016
Phantom Meance is the worst movie in the star wars saga but i dont agree with some people on other aspects.. This movie is not a disgrace to Star Wars.. It was ok!
October 11, 2016
Ska försöka orka igenom alla filmerna, men jag har lite svårt för de "nyare" upplagorna.
October 10, 2016
boring exepect The jedi vs darth maul
½ October 7, 2016
I wanted to love this movie. qui gon Jin is cool and Darth maul is the most bad ass thing ever, but the plot drags the whole movie with so much political bullshit and people sitting and talking, you'll swear you're watching Lincoln or hbos John adams, only with aliens and weird hair.
October 2, 2016
The beginning of Anakin Skywalker's journey on becoming Darth Vader!
Page 1 of 2011