Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2009
July 25, 2016
OK, let's talk about this 'Star Trek Beyond' thing for a moment. I loved the hell out of this movie. I'm going to say it up front. Star Trek Beyond is a five star must see on the big screen event of the Summer Blockbuster Season. On par with, if not better than, 'Captain America: Civil War'. The trio of JJ Abrams (Producer), Justin Lin (Director), and Simon Pegg (writer) takes the fight to Marvel for Summer Blockbuster supremacy with 'Jason Borne' and "Suicide Squad' following close behind in up-coming weeks.

'Star Trek Beyond' is successful at capturing the feel and flavor of The Original Series despite the actors trying too hard to act like their TOS counter parts. There is a healthy dose of those clichéd one liners that have been embedded in pop culture for decades, but, who cares. We love those one liners. We love those characters. And, we love the fact that the Star Trek franchise has found a way to recall TOS characters in a way that no other franchise is able to get away with. Let's be honest, the franchise has found a way to re-boot the franchise while keeping the entire Star Trek history in the same universe, even though there in different timelines. Take that X-Men. Blow it out your web slingers Spiderman. And you to Star Wars. Take all of that non-canon history and shove it up you At-At.

Well, that's enough of my ramblings. On to the movie.

'Star Trek Beyond' delivers a two hour mindless good time. It's the equivalent of cinematic crack. Take a hit, turn off your mind, and shut out the rest of the world for two hours. Certainly there are a few things to nick pick about, but so what, this isn't Chris Pines attempt to win an Oscar. Over all everything works well. Plenty of action that doesn't run on too long and plenty of down time but not enough to slow the movie. Of course the plot is thin, but so what. You not watching this for the character development or the in depth geo-political relationships between interstellar worlds leading to an over throw of the established power structure from within. That's what happen in 'Star Wars: Episode I' and we all know how that turned out. This Five star movie is brilliantly simple; the way a Summer Blockbuster should be.
July 25, 2016
63%
The new ideas and visuals are aesthetically pleasing for fans of the original trilogy and the John Williams score is terrific, even if the script, actors, and director don't inject the fun of the original trilogy to balance it all out.
½ July 23, 2016
pretty dull and boring. PLUS JAR JAR! The only saving grace in this is a cool lightsaber duel. the worst one in the franchise by far.
July 21, 2016
Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace what is a good start from the get-go I'm showing the beginning how it all started before. Anakin Skywalker became a friend of Obi-Wan Kenobi and then years later Falling Into Darkness and that's a falling-out of Anakin Skywalker was revealed in Star Wars Attack of the Clone Wars what was the middle of telling the backstory of the beginning not really really started how you became friends and out of hatred what a good way to start the beginning of Star Wars. I'm giving this movie A 10.1
July 20, 2016
A great movie, starts off the Star Wars story great, darth maul one of the best villains In Star Wars makes an entrance, the scenery is amazing and the story is creative
½ July 19, 2016
I don't hate it with the fiery passion that the internet tells me I should, nor does Jar Jar Binks make me wince as much as everyone else. Let's remember, this movie gave us A) John Williams' epic "Duel of the Fates" score and B) Darth Maul. It's not a great movie, but I liked it as a kid, which is who the audience was, which means they succeeded in my opinion.
July 19, 2016
This movie was so bad people were in denial for years stupid plot points, wooden acting, shit characters (Anakin,Jar jar) and stupid coincidences that are so cringeworthy and of course all the boring acting the only reason i give it a star is because Darth Maul vs Obi wan and Qui gon is great.
½ July 19, 2016
I am a fan of Star Wars in general, but when I heard that Jake Loyd who played the child Anakin Skywalker suffered because of his role in this, I was sad. Little Anakin Skywalker is one of my favorite characters. He's an awesome and adorable kid. Sadly, jealousy can cause other kids to be very mean. Who knew such a great role would lead to unfortunate consequences in real life?

There is a lot going on in this, good action and interesting characters.

I do think that Qui-Gonn Jinn's having Anakin pod race was highly unethical. It was central to the storyline, but not right to me. I don't believe for a second that a powerful Jedi just couldn't find another way. Jinn apparently lacked imagination (and that is not Liam Neeson's fault). I don't have to agree with everything in a Star Wars movie to find it entertaining.

To see the beginnings of the mysterious dark character Darth Vader was interesting.

A lot of characters vital to the continued story are introduced and developed. There is so much happening all over the place, and yet the storyline is coherent and ties together.

Darth Maul is a visually appealing adversary, with a striking red and black head and some kick ass martial arts moves. The final battle scenes were climactic and exciting. The Gungens vs droids battle had some funny moments. The loss of Qui-Gon Jinn and his replacement by his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi was tragically memorable.

Although some were annoyed by Jar Jar Binx, I thought he was kind of lovable and funny. Perhaps just a bit too much of his antics, but it's hard to get every detail absolutely perfect. There was a lot of creativity in the development of characters, costumes, and I particularly liked the watery underworld on the planet Naboo, from the mysterious Gungen city to the giant seamonsters in the core ocean.

Well wishes to Jake Loyd.
½ July 18, 2016
DARTH MAUL and qui gon jinn is the only reason I gave this what I did
July 18, 2016
The only positives I can give this movie is Ewan Mcgegor as Obi Wan and the light saber battle between Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul, in my opinion Darth Maul should of been the Darth Vader of the prequels, disappointing tbh
July 17, 2016
It's not great but it definitely gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It's probably my 7th Favourite Star Wars
½ July 15, 2016
As a child of the 90's I grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy on the 1997 Special Edition VHS box set which fans of the saga who saw the originals in theaters dislike. However, they were the only way I knew Star Wars and it was a love of a franchise my father and I have shared ever since. I am extremely bias and love this movie with all my heart. Watching this movie in theaters as a child was surreal because I finally was able to experience the amazement of seeing a Star Wars film on the big screen. That being said this movie is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In my non bias opinion the Pod Racing sequence is one of the best moments of the Star Wars saga and is directed great by Lucas. This film also had a lightsaber battle that was unlike anything any fan of the franchise has seen before or even imagined.
July 15, 2016
Augh. Just Augh. Albeit better than AotC, this is pretty bad. Shaky writing horrible writing, and Too much JarJar.
July 14, 2016
It's George Lucas, no words
½ July 11, 2016
It's bad, but you have to see it so you can make fun of it.
½ July 10, 2016
On discovering George Lucas' ring cycle for the six SW films and who the Phantom Menace actually is (JJ Binks I'm looking at you!) I have to up my rating. An essential part of GW's 12hour long 'ring cycle' well worth re-visiting!
July 9, 2016
I know jar jar seemed a little much but was a funny character. Maybe unneeded but I'm ok with it

Loved duel of fates scene still love that battle song

I love more back story on Jedi and beginnings of all but still like this one
July 9, 2016
The Phantom Menace is the origin story of Anakin Skywalker. Even though the movie has a terrific antagonist in Darth Maul, other characters like Jar Jar Binks and Anakin weigh the film down. I like the lightsaber duel and the space battle, but other parts of this movie just aren't very good. There are way to many exposition scenes and the dialogue in this film is often times boring. Overall its pretty bad for Star Wars, but is an average movie for its genre.
½ July 9, 2016
It has its good and bad, but The Phantom Menace is truly wasted potential, coming off of the original Star Wars trilogy, there are stale characters all throughout this movie.
Page 1 of 2009