Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

Page 1 of 2011
October 19, 2016
Still the most well-made of the prequels, with plenty of live sets, miniatures, puppets, costumes, make-up, and choreographed stunt work peppered throughout the dated CGI to call back to the original films in our minds and "feel" like a true Star Wars film despite its flaws.
October 16, 2016
An underrated movie, not as bad as everyone says
½ October 15, 2016
Just no. I love me some Star Wars, but this was bad. I do love the Duel of the Fates, and the Podracing, but no on everything else. Especially Jar-Jar freaking Binks.
October 13, 2016
Phantom Meance is the worst movie in the star wars saga but i dont agree with some people on other aspects.. This movie is not a disgrace to Star Wars.. It was ok!
October 11, 2016
Ska försöka orka igenom alla filmerna, men jag har lite svårt för de "nyare" upplagorna.
October 10, 2016
boring exepect The jedi vs darth maul
½ October 7, 2016
I wanted to love this movie. qui gon Jin is cool and Darth maul is the most bad ass thing ever, but the plot drags the whole movie with so much political bullshit and people sitting and talking, you'll swear you're watching Lincoln or hbos John adams, only with aliens and weird hair.
October 2, 2016
The beginning of Anakin Skywalker's journey on becoming Darth Vader!
October 2, 2016
I really wanted to like this movie but I could only tolerate it. The actors was so wooden and uninspired as to be boring and dull. Only Liam Neeson's Qui-gon Jin saved this movie. Definitely not one of George Lucas' best efforts.
September 28, 2016
Retrocedendo todas as qualidades dos seus antecessores, The Phantom Menace são duas horas de perda de tempo com personagens fracos e trama rasa.
September 27, 2016
I loved every bit of it. why? well because it's well paced and offers a different story while maintaining the primary aspects of what a Star Wars film should be. the eastereggs were numerous, especially the last 2 minutes of the credit theme which is anakin's theme. and OMG I loved the look on Palpatine's face when Padme told him she's going back to Naboo.
½ September 25, 2016
The phantom menace is a film with things to like but simultaneously has so much to loathe let's start with the positives For one the locations is the phantom menace are vey beautiful to look at with such colour and vibrancy, the action sequences are bombastic but fun to watch with CGI that is decent in parts(Will talk about the bad cgi in the negatives), Liam Neeson while not given much depth as a character still remains a bad ass and likeable hero the film also has great cinematography.
But of course the phantom menace is littered with flaws For one the characters are given very little development for me as an audience member to invest in or care about, the story is filled to the brim with boring politics that is often way to incoherent and over complex to keep my interest, the dialogue at times can be rather silly and amateur, the acting from Ewan McGregor,Jake Lloyd, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley and Samuel Jackson is just utterly lifeless and monotone and the film has an over reliance on CGI effects resulting in some aspects of the film feeling very unnatural and often unnatural 4.5/10...??
September 22, 2016
Just as shit as the original, but in 3D.
½ September 19, 2016
Besides the disaster that is Jar-Jar Binks, the rest of the movie was very well done, the costumes, the characters, the politics, the plot and the sound track. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are brilliant together as master and apprentice.
½ September 17, 2016
Return of the Jedi was perhaps somewhat lackluster, but nothing could have prepared fans for the sub-mediocrity of The Phantom Menace. Diehards will find many things of worth here, particularly the freewheeling exploration of hitherto unseen corners of the Star Wars universe, but most audience members will find the movie sterile, if spectacular. Everything at the core of the original trilogy's popularity was jettisoned, and the result is niche filmmaking buoyed by brand recognition.
September 10, 2016
Every Saga Has A Beginning
½ September 8, 2016
Personally I don't think The Phantom Menace is as bad as everyone says it is. Even though it has a lot of shortcomings, I still recommend you watch it if you haven't already.
September 6, 2016
A fart joke in a star wars movie? Wow.
September 4, 2016
This is easily the worst of the Star Wars films. The special effects are visually ugly and unimpressive, the acting is plain bad, the action sequences are intensely but messily choreographed, the main villain is frustratingly wasted and Jar Jar Binks is outrageously annoying. Kudos to acceptable appearances of Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, sadly in a Star Wars film in desperate need of a new hope.
September 1, 2016
I guess people dont like the political stuff... well ok,

But this is an incredible entry to the Star Wars world. The beauty of Naboo and the regality of Amidala is incredible, and new incarnation of characters, and how they gel together breathes so much life into the saga.

This film is no slow burner, it packs so much in from one world to another and another and another. The excitement of the escape from the Trade Federation ships, the escape from Naboo, the Pod Racing and final battle scenes; coupled with the terribly dark and insidious undercurrents are also excellent.

It is a tale of a world that is starting to fall apart at the seems and the corruption splitting it, runs right to the top. The apple is rotten to the core, and its set in this magnificent backdrop of Italianate palaces and full planet city of Coruscant... what is not to love?

This film actually has depth compared to the first three, there is actual political cause here, not just guns and them-n-us, there is theory behind the power struggle, not just people flying about shooting each other.

The most recent film (Ep. 7) is just a rehash of the Ep.4, while this is actually an independent film, Bravo... AND THE CLOTHES!
Page 1 of 2011