Stargate Reviews

• Nov 11, 2020

Very fun adventure film. This is unlike the usual disaster films that Devlin and Emmerich are known for. This has excellent special effects and interesting characters and a intriguing idea on the creation of Egyptian culture. It's a movie that should not be missed.

• Oct 09, 2020

Stargate felt a bit like a B-Film, but I loved it anyway.

Stargate felt a bit like a B-Film, but I loved it anyway.

• Sep 30, 2020

Fun. Interesting. Entertaining. I love Kurt Russell. Great movie to kill some time.

• Sep 28, 2020

I just don't understand. Wha? That's like what I'm supposed to think happens after a Stargate? Is it the past or the future? Earth or another planet? Just think whatever?

• Aug 29, 2020

A visually dazzling sci-fi adventure with plenty of admittedly-fun B-movie tropes, this ranks among Roland Emmerich's finest, though definitely behind "Independence Day" which would follow.

• Aug 08, 2020

In 1994, Egyptologist and linguist Daniel Jackson (James Spader), Ph.D., is invited by Catherine Langford (Viveca Lindfors) to translate Egyptian hieroglyphs on cover stones, also known as casing stones, that her father had unearthed in Giza, Egypt, in 1928. Jackson is taken to a U.S. Air Force installation and told by its commander, Special Operations Colonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil (Kurt Russell), that the project is classified information. Jackson determines that the hieroglyphs refer to a "stargate" which uses constellations as spatial coordinates. On this revelation, Jackson is shown that the base has this Stargate, also discovered by Langford's father. They use Jackson's coordinates to align the Stargate's metal ring with markings along its outside, and once all seven are locked in, a wormhole opens, connecting the Stargate with a distant planet. Jackson joins O'Neil and his team, consisting of Reilly, Porro, Freeman, Brown, Ferretti, and Kawalsky, as they pass through the wormhole. On the arid desert planet, Abydos, they find themselves in a pyramid-like structure. Jackson locates the Stargate's controls, but lacks the coordinates to return home. Colonel O'Neil orders Reilly, Porro, Freeman, and Ferretti to stay behind to guard the Stargate. Nearby, O'Neil's group discover a tribe of humans working to mine a strange mineral from the planet. Jackson is able to communicate with them as they speak a variation of Ancient Egyptian, and finds the tribe sees them as emissaries of their god Ra (Jaye Davidson). The tribe's chieftain Kasuf presents Jackson with his daughter Sha'uri as a gift, and though Jackson initially refuses her, he later becomes romantically attached to her. O'Neil befriends Kasuf's teenaged son Skaara and his friends, in part because Skaara reminds him of his long-deceased son who had shot himself with O'Neil's service weapon. Through hidden markings and discussions with the tribe, Jackson learns that Ra is an alien being who had come to Earth during the Ancient Egyptian period, looking to possess human bodies to extend his own life. Ra enslaved these humans and brought some to this planet through the Stargate to mine the mineral that is used in the alien technology. The humans on Earth revolted, overthrew Ra's overseers, and buried the Stargate to prevent its use. Ra forbade the humans in the tribe from becoming literate, fearing another revolt. During this investigation, Jackson comes across a cartouche containing six of the seven symbols for the Stargate, but the seventh has been broken off... Rotten Tomatoes consensus states: "Stargate has splashy visuals and James Spader to recommend it, but corny characterization and a clunky script makes this a portal to ho-hum." Out of Emmerich's works, "Stargate" is his fourth-highest-rated film, behind "The Patriot", "Independence Day", and "White House Down". Most of the negativity focused on the overuse of special effects, thinness of plot, and excessive use of clichés. Roger Ebert went so far as to say, "The movie Ed Wood, about the worst director of all time, was made to prepare us for Stargate". Ebert awarded the film one out of four stars and, even over ten years later, Stargate remained on his list of most hated films. Mike DiBella from Allmovie said, "There simply isn't enough spectacle in Stargate to make up for its many flaws." The positive reviews stated that it was an "instant camp classic" and praised the film for its special effects and entertainment value, with Chris Hicks of the Deseret News calling it "Star Wars meets Ben Hur". Scott McKenzie from DVDactive said, "It's a shame because the world created around the Stargate is compelling and detailed. It's almost enough to make me want to watch the TV series, but not quite." Roland Emmerich´s "Stargate" is a bit silly sci-fi action adventure if you ask me. It´s a clichéridden piece of film with a wobbly storyline and acting plus plotholes a plenty. I haven´t seen it for years, but I can´t say it has aged well. Nah, "Stargate" is not really my cup of tea. Trivia: The early pre-release screenings of the movie were disastrous. The percentage of the audience who liked the movie fell into the mid-30s, and Executive Producer Mario Kassar realized the main problem was that the plot made zero sense. His solution: have the Ra character's dialogue subtitled, and made into information that presented a clear storyline. When these changes were made, the subsequent test screenings produced an overwhelming majority of positive reviews, and this carried the movie into becoming one of the surprise hits of fall 1994.

• Jul 19, 2020

The movie that spawned a crap ton of TV shows more popular than the actual film (oh, and it introduced Hollywood to Roland Emmerich as well if, like me, you're a dumbass who forgot/didn't know that he was the director of his actual Hollywood debut, Universal Soldier), Stargate would've really benefitted from a better script and leaving certain plot details unexplained. Also, compared to Independence Day and The Patriot, this movie didn't impress me as much. Nevertheless, given the director, Stargate is still a much better movie than one might expect, thanks to its stunning visuals (the eponymous gate looks fantastic, I think I'd have been blown away had I seen it on the big screen), worthy performances, enjoyable action sequences and commendable effort with regards to telling an original story. No B-movie homages, no historical fiction, no ranting that those two critics didn't like his movies disguised as a poorly told Hollywood version of an icon of Japanese cinema. A sci-fi adventure that isn't based off of a book as far as what I looked up regarding the movie is concerned. Hey, it spawned a franchise, didn't it? While I didn't enjoy Roland Emmerich's big Hollywood entrance (let's face it, Universal Soldier is remembered more as a Van Damme film than a Roland Emmerich film) as much as I hoped I would, I still think it stands out and is worth checking out...right after you're done binging that one season of whichever one of those TV shows is your favourite from the Stargate-verse ;)

• Jul 09, 2020

Forgettable science fiction film low on new ideas.

Forgettable science fiction film low on new ideas.

• Jul 05, 2020

One of the better sci-fi films out there, it does offer plenty of action and a fantastical explanation to the Giza pyramids in Egypt.

• Jul 04, 2020