Stepmom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stepmom Reviews

August 24, 2016
Director Chris Columbus, an unlikely choice for such melodramatic material, does know how to pluck those heartstrings. And he does so with an even hand. Every character is portrayed sympathetically if not quite realistically. Through the performances and screenplay, we often do get some extremely well-written and intelligent scenes. Stepmom follows a fairly predictable line throughout its 124-minute running time, but is helped immeasurably by the beautifully-done and touching performances from, particularly, Sarandon, Roberts, and Malone. The performers are so good, in fact, that they easily rise above the admittedly thin material and help make scene after scene their own. Sarandon, like always, is realistic and heartbreaking as a woman who realizes she has a lot of things she needs to do before the illness takes over her life; and Roberts gives one of her best performances to date, and smoothly is able to convey her character's frustration of becoming a second-rate parent who will never be able to equal up to the children's real mother. A genuinely affecting movie that approaches its adult themes with intelligence, maturity, and rare authenticity.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
October 29, 2015
It's decent mostly because of Sarandon & Roberts. I ...cried....so ....much.
½ October 6, 2015
This has 'women's film' stamped all over it.

The performances were good. Still, for anyone who has seen their share of films about terminal illnesses, this seems to be derivative, too,
August 26, 2015
awesome movie I love it everytime
½ July 28, 2015
Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts offers to us great performances that will please the spectator. The movie starts a little boring, but at the middle it became interesting and it transforms into a new way to approach this theme. Great screenplay.
½ July 28, 2015
July 7, 2015
I really loved this movie. Chris Columbus is a director I really think gets a lot of unwarranted flack but I have enjoyed a lot of his work. I think this is my favorite performance from Susan Sarandon even above Dead Man Walking. She's heartbreaking, sweet, and also passionate as a defensive mom that doesn't have my faith in her husband's new girlfriend. Julia Roberts is also wonderful in this and the dynamics between Roberts and Sarandon is what keeps you really captivated. Ed Harris is good but plays second fiddle to these wonderful performances. Jenna Malone and Liam Aiken are also wonderful as the kids of Sarandon and Harris and its great to see that they continued on to do great work as the grew up. I don't think the movie was overly soapy at all, I actually wish more movies like this were made these days with juicy roles in family stories. I feel like this movie is a perfect window to the struggles of divorce and captured the frustrations of life perfectly. I think this movie's mixed reviews were unwarranted and I highly recommend this film, I didn't want it to end.
May 13, 2015
Good actors in a bad film.
½ April 29, 2015
did not like, a maudlin affair
March 30, 2015
Chris Columbus' final pre Harry Potter film was a little bit of a formulaic and pretentious wannabe tearjerker starring two of the biggest actresses in Hollywood competing to find common ground when it comes to their now joined family, with Julia as the Stepmom coming into the equation having to choose between career and caring for Sarandon's children, and Sarandon being the supermom who was the former career woman who is now facing down the barrel of a cancer diagnosis and has to deal with the fact that eventually she will have to release some of what she is no longer able to do to Roberts. With the kids being so well brought up and all of the bickering between Roberts and Sarandon being so juveinile, plus with them being so afluent, it seemed as if this was an unrealistic portrayal of one of these types of stories for me to truely get involved and care for them, it felt at times I almsot wanted to smack them. One of the few misteps for Roberts for sure with this one. And who thought of casting grumpy Ed Harris as the dad?
½ February 27, 2015
Loved the movie, the actors were great, but the end did make my shed a tiny tear. Anyways, loved it.
October 9, 2014
I wish I didn't bother to read the critics reviews because as a child I loved this movie. Now that I am adult my perspective has changed. It is a really shallow movie about rich white people problems. On the surface its not really relateable unless you really tune into the figurative messages the movie conveys. I still think its an excellent movie despite my adult reservations. Mainly because I love Susan Sarandon and I think she is an amazing actress. Julia Roberts is great in this movie too.
October 1, 2014
It's a very sentimental movie. It begins in an unexpected way, that actually confuses who's watching. The relation that rises between the mom and the stepmom is very interesting. The movie shows us how a family handle a divorce and a new person being part of it. I liked very much, mostly because there are one of the most beautiful proposals I've seen.
½ August 24, 2014
An excellent emotional drama. Chris Columbus is on his game and the film has great acting from Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts. Be prepared for a tearjerker. (First viewing - Teen years)
½ August 8, 2014
Unmemorable and mushy.
½ June 29, 2014
Cheap, but nevertheless very entertaining. Tear-jerking and dramatic when it needs to be, which plenty make up for the occasional sickeningly clichéd moments. Susan Sarandon is brilliant as per the norm and Julia Roberts is well suited to her roll.
May 2, 2014
Diferente (para bien) y más profunda a las pelis de su género, y por supuesto, no podemos olvidarnos de las magníficas actuaciones. Aunque con fallos globales.
March 14, 2014
I don't know how this only got 44% I love this movie! seen it so many times! Currently watching it now :) great actors, very touching story and really makes you think about what I'd be like if I was in either woman's situation. Always cry in this movie it is a major tear jerker and sometimes it's just good to have a cry.
March 7, 2014
I can't stand anyone in this movie. dad's probably the most selfish a hole, Julia is
annoying and rude, susan is a b, kids are spoiled, it's a very selfish, unrealistic in so many ways movie. it had good potential but I believe it's more of a soap opera. only part that was good was the part where sue and Julia meet for dinner and talk about how they're going to have past and future. that's it. other than that, everyone just really got on my damn nerves. all rich, pretentious, selfish people. it just screams selfish when I think the divorce, new transitions and cancer should be a bit more humbling.
March 2, 2014
Love this movie so much, very strong performances from Julie Roberts and Susan Sarandon. I dance when the characters are dancing and cry when the inevitable occurs.