Stepmom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stepmom Reviews

February 2, 2017
We all have to learn a little in order to grow together. There are many children who face divorce. In the movie "Stepmom" directed by Chris Columbus. He portrays a family who has fallen apart and must work together for the sake of their children's.  This film came out Dec 25, 1998. The story began with two women trying to win the kids heart. Jackie, a divorced mother of two, and Isabel the career-minded girlfriend of Jackie's ex-husband Luke, who enter the life of Jackie and Luke's children.  Later on in the movie these two women develop friendship and accept the fact that the children will have two mom.

Jackie and Luke Harrison are a divorced couple that are struggling to help their children Anna and Ben be happy with this sudden change of lifestyle. Anna and Ben, the two children of Jackie and Luke, have to accept the fact that their parents are divorced and that there is a new woman in their father's life. Isabel is young and pretty. She is a successful photographer. She tries her best to treat the kids to like her and in a way that makes them still feel at home. But she is busy with her work and doesn't pay attention to the kids. But Jackie, the real mother don't understand that work can be important to her as much as the kids. However, Jackie is diagnosed with cancer which is discovered to be serious. She experiences negative emotions, angry at the woman who she feels played a role in her broken family, and angry at the fact that after all of the sacrifices she made for her family, she will not even get to see her children grow up. The two women finally bond when Isabel finds out the truth about Jackie, while Jackie in turn praises Isabel's hipness as a means to connect with Anna. Isabel finally lets her guard down when she tearfully tells Jackie her biggest fear is that on Anna's wedding day, all Anna will wish for is her mother's presence. Through her own tears, Jackie says her own fear is that Anna will forget her. Jackie explains to Isabel that, while Jackie will always have their past, Isabel will have their future. The film ends with the family celebrating Christmas. Jackie, bedridden from her illness, is visited in her room by Ben and Anna. Individually, Jackie tells her children after giving them their presents that even though she will die, she will always be with them as long as they remember her. Later that day, Isabel is taking a family picture of Luke and Jackie with their children. Jackie demonstrates her acceptance of Isabel by inviting her to join them in the picture. Isabel join them and both women are shown happily in a photo side by side, finally at peace with one another.

This movie was heartwarming and sad. The fact that Jackie was ill, leaving the children with the stepmom. But the stepmom is nice and she really cared about the kids. It was good that the two mom work things out for the sake of the kids. In the movie I see that the kids was really hurt about the fact that their parents divorce. They have to try to work and adapt to the new lifestyle that they didn't ask for and they really try to make their kids happy. I would recommend this movie to parents who are divorced because this movie show great way how parents should handle their divorce. Instead of brainwashing their children this movie show great example on how to handle divorce situation. I also recommend this movie to children who gone through divorce as well.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
August 24, 2016
Director Chris Columbus, an unlikely choice for such melodramatic material, does know how to pluck those heartstrings. And he does so with an even hand. Every character is portrayed sympathetically if not quite realistically. Through the performances and screenplay, we often do get some extremely well-written and intelligent scenes. Stepmom follows a fairly predictable line throughout its 124-minute running time, but is helped immeasurably by the beautifully-done and touching performances from, particularly, Sarandon, Roberts, and Malone. The performers are so good, in fact, that they easily rise above the admittedly thin material and help make scene after scene their own. Sarandon, like always, is realistic and heartbreaking as a woman who realizes she has a lot of things she needs to do before the illness takes over her life; and Roberts gives one of her best performances to date, and smoothly is able to convey her character's frustration of becoming a second-rate parent who will never be able to equal up to the children's real mother. A genuinely affecting movie that approaches its adult themes with intelligence, maturity, and rare authenticity.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
October 29, 2015
It's decent mostly because of Sarandon & Roberts. I ...cried....so ....much.
½ October 6, 2015
This has 'women's film' stamped all over it.

The performances were good. Still, for anyone who has seen their share of films about terminal illnesses, this seems to be derivative, too,
August 26, 2015
awesome movie I love it everytime
½ July 28, 2015
Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts offers to us great performances that will please the spectator. The movie starts a little boring, but at the middle it became interesting and it transforms into a new way to approach this theme. Great screenplay.
½ July 28, 2015
July 7, 2015
I really loved this movie. Chris Columbus is a director I really think gets a lot of unwarranted flack but I have enjoyed a lot of his work. I think this is my favorite performance from Susan Sarandon even above Dead Man Walking. She's heartbreaking, sweet, and also passionate as a defensive mom that doesn't have my faith in her husband's new girlfriend. Julia Roberts is also wonderful in this and the dynamics between Roberts and Sarandon is what keeps you really captivated. Ed Harris is good but plays second fiddle to these wonderful performances. Jenna Malone and Liam Aiken are also wonderful as the kids of Sarandon and Harris and its great to see that they continued on to do great work as the grew up. I don't think the movie was overly soapy at all, I actually wish more movies like this were made these days with juicy roles in family stories. I feel like this movie is a perfect window to the struggles of divorce and captured the frustrations of life perfectly. I think this movie's mixed reviews were unwarranted and I highly recommend this film, I didn't want it to end.
May 13, 2015
Good actors in a bad film.
½ April 29, 2015
did not like, a maudlin affair
March 30, 2015
Chris Columbus' final pre Harry Potter film was a little bit of a formulaic and pretentious wannabe tearjerker starring two of the biggest actresses in Hollywood competing to find common ground when it comes to their now joined family, with Julia as the Stepmom coming into the equation having to choose between career and caring for Sarandon's children, and Sarandon being the supermom who was the former career woman who is now facing down the barrel of a cancer diagnosis and has to deal with the fact that eventually she will have to release some of what she is no longer able to do to Roberts. With the kids being so well brought up and all of the bickering between Roberts and Sarandon being so juveinile, plus with them being so afluent, it seemed as if this was an unrealistic portrayal of one of these types of stories for me to truely get involved and care for them, it felt at times I almsot wanted to smack them. One of the few misteps for Roberts for sure with this one. And who thought of casting grumpy Ed Harris as the dad?
½ February 27, 2015
Loved the movie, the actors were great, but the end did make my shed a tiny tear. Anyways, loved it.
October 9, 2014
I wish I didn't bother to read the critics reviews because as a child I loved this movie. Now that I am adult my perspective has changed. It is a really shallow movie about rich white people problems. On the surface its not really relateable unless you really tune into the figurative messages the movie conveys. I still think its an excellent movie despite my adult reservations. Mainly because I love Susan Sarandon and I think she is an amazing actress. Julia Roberts is great in this movie too.
October 1, 2014
It's a very sentimental movie. It begins in an unexpected way, that actually confuses who's watching. The relation that rises between the mom and the stepmom is very interesting. The movie shows us how a family handle a divorce and a new person being part of it. I liked very much, mostly because there are one of the most beautiful proposals I've seen.
½ August 24, 2014
An excellent emotional drama. Chris Columbus is on his game and the film has great acting from Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts. Be prepared for a tearjerker. (First viewing - Teen years)
½ August 8, 2014
Unmemorable and mushy.
½ June 29, 2014
Cheap, but nevertheless very entertaining. Tear-jerking and dramatic when it needs to be, which plenty make up for the occasional sickeningly clichéd moments. Susan Sarandon is brilliant as per the norm and Julia Roberts is well suited to her roll.
May 2, 2014
Diferente (para bien) y más profunda a las pelis de su género, y por supuesto, no podemos olvidarnos de las magníficas actuaciones. Aunque con fallos globales.
March 14, 2014
I don't know how this only got 44% I love this movie! seen it so many times! Currently watching it now :) great actors, very touching story and really makes you think about what I'd be like if I was in either woman's situation. Always cry in this movie it is a major tear jerker and sometimes it's just good to have a cry.