Strange Magic Reviews

• Oct 26, 2020

Heinous, soulless, and downright irritating, Strange Magic deserves no attention from anyone.

• Sep 29, 2020

It could be a guilty pleasure for the right person (like me) but the jukebox musical aspect of it REALLY slows the whole thing down. Most of the songs don't fit the situation whatsoever--they clearly just wanted to sell a record of popular songs, and I bought a ticket to see a movie, not listen to a random mix CD. Anyway, if you remove the song aspect (which is a *very large portion* of the film) it's ...fine. Animation is well done, the villain character is actually pretty neat. But I can't ignore that the film is easily 85% random songs. And that even if it's based on a Shakespeare play that whole "love potion girl you have never even asked on a date" thing doesn't really fly by modern standards. He seriously gets rewarded in the end for trying to do the equivalent of removing her free will? xD Uh, that's a bit problematic. Or it would be if I had cared about either of those characters in the film, you really only end up fully liking the villain and ever so slightly the main character.

• Sep 25, 2020

Its so wonderful. Timing isn't too bad, the story is cute, and the music is amazing. I believe it fully delivers. Its highly underrated and I dont think someone should trust bad critic reviews when going into this movie. Just see for yourself!

• Sep 08, 2020

Strange Magic's backgrounds and setting can be admired, but that doesn't excuse its ugly CGI, dated soundtrack, and terrible story.

• Sep 07, 2020

The worst animated film I've ever seen.

The worst animated film I've ever seen.

• Wylder K
    Aug 09, 2020

Seriously underrated movie. This is such a feel good happy adventure with such fun catchy songs. I don’t think Lucas gets enough credit for the stuff he puts out. This is a super fun movie for the whole family

• Jul 27, 2020

It was very cringey and very corny. I cringed the entire movie. They should not have added songs except for maybe the title song. Also, the romance felt forced for both couples. For the main couple, how on earth do you fall in love in less than a night and profess your love? The movie could have been done far better. It was so cringey. It was so very corny. Despite this, I like it.

• Jul 24, 2020

Yup, this is a movie that exists.

Yup, this is a movie that exists.

• Jul 18, 2020

Great sound track and an enchanting story

Great sound track and an enchanting story

• Jun 19, 2020

Strange Magic isn't without its charming moments and has admittedly lovely animation. The designs of the creatures such as the Bog King are particularly well-done, though the fairies have a more uncanny valley look to them. But, while the songs are good on their own and the voice actors do a good job, this fantasy musical take on A Midsummer Night's Dream ultimately doesn't work out the way George Lucas wanted it to, what with there being very little room to breathe between musical numbers, characters are forgettable with some being outright obnoxious and not much of interest happens until we get to the moment that sparked a thousand fanfictions from the relatively small group of people who saw the movie. The romance is actually not that bad. It's no Beauty and the Beast but it beats generic good-vs-evil. I don't even consider Strange Magic okay because it really doesn't have much to offer other than well-performed musical numbers and a romance that doesn't even show up until the third act. Ah well, at least Lucasfilm Animation got to finish the final season of The Clone Wars and it was acclaimed...shame I don't watch that show. I'm sure I will someday.