Strings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strings Reviews

January 10, 2016
Outstanding movie. Rent it and you won't be disappointed
½ November 20, 2015
Absolutely BRILLIAnt and STuning!! This film should be more available for viewing!!! This is ART and Story and everything about it!!
April 24, 2015
Masterful work with puppetry and storytelling.
November 11, 2012
Discovering this film as an extra on a multi-disc, I was wonderfully surprised.

'Strings' uses an unusual medium very effectively, even incorporating it into the story line. The film is strewn with subtle tugs on your heart strings that combine to give a huge emotional impact. Beautifully shot with a variety of landscapes and cultures, it is very easy on the eyes. Despite the use of puppets, no meaning or emotion is lost at all.

The only real criticism I have is that the storyline is somewhat clichà (C)d; a mixture of Romeo and Juliet and the standard hero-liberating-his-people deal.
However, the romantic element is well-developed and deep, and doesn't simply fall back on the Romeo & Juliet connotations to carry it. Similarly, the political aspect is complex and involving.

The film leaves strong, lasting feelings of hope, mourning and regret, and manages to evoke such emotions using 'merely' puppets.
October 1, 2012
Un film que j'ai vu dans un festival de Bruxelles, adorable! Meilleur film de marionnette ever. Poétique.
July 30, 2012
The story itself isn't completely original, but the execution is and very stylish to boot. Definitely unlike most films you will ever see and worth watching.
366weirdmovies
½ April 18, 2012
In a kingdom where everyone is a marionette, a prince disguises himself as a commoner and sets out to find his father's killer. The save-the-kingdom plot is at the same time derivative and confusing (with too many characters and factions), but the curious explorations of mythical marionette culture (they keep slaves for spare body parts, babies are carved out of wood and born when they're attached to strings that descend from the heavens, etc.) should be enough to keep you watching.
April 8, 2012
this movie actually suprised me as it actually had a strong story line and plot..even with the puppets
April 4, 2012
One of the most original concepts I have ever seen committed to film. The entire cast is made up of marionettes, who know that they are marionettes..... It's awesomely bizarre. I began thinking that the plot was going to be formulaic as a result, but it was definitely not, the twists and turns were constantly catching me by surprise, it is deliciously complex. If you can suspend your disbelief, then this is one to watch.
March 22, 2012
Pretty unique animation for a powerful Shakespear inspired tragedy. On the stage: self conscious puppets, fully aware of their strings, and their mortality.
½ February 8, 2012
interesting concept, and when I watched da first half high I was completely in2 it but after watching the second half of da movie sober, i lost interest and was kinda disappointed. I appreciate the effort dat went in2 filming this but the movie overall jus kinda sucked.
February 1, 2012
This is one of the coolest original ideas in a while. Very good.
½ November 5, 2011
Straight story but vivid visuals.
½ October 17, 2011
An interesting idea, acknowledging the puppet strings and building a world through them, though not always used consistently. I mostly liked the idea of gates and prison cells as bars high above which the strings can't cross.

The story is not groundbreaking and does leave some questions unanswered, but it suits the medium and the result is a decent film, best seen with pre-teens.
½ July 6, 2011
set in a dark fantasy world of marionettes!!...is what sold me on renting Strings. the sets and marionettes are beautifully designed and i've found the story to be engaging.

the voice acting was great too but i can't help feel that i would have enjoyed the movie a bit more and cared more for the main characters if the marionettes were able to articulate more emotion. I guess you can say that the performance was a bit wooden. Hah! you see what i did there? ok, that was bad...i'll stop now.:/
½ June 4, 2011
An interesting fantasy tale presented in the creepiest of fashions, Strings is mostly effective, especially when it comes to making the viewer feel for wooden puppets with basically motionless faces. I can't say the film was great, but it was certainly an achievement and would probably be enjoyed by younger viewers, though there is plenty of freaky stuff that might bother the more sensitive.
April 24, 2011
A live-action fantasy film about self-aware, living puppets. Could this concept ever work? The best thing I can say about this film is it makes me wonder if it could. Apart from some relatively clever ideas that exploit the basic conceit, it's just an incredibly generic fantasy story rendered with certain technical skill, but limited by its format to extreme macro-closeups and out-of-focus backgrounds. There was an opportunity here to expand upon strings as a metaphor for both the soul and free will, but they're largely ignored in favor of messages that wouldn't be out of place in a saturday morning cartoon from the 80's. I feel like the only reason this film was made was because it seemed like a good gimmick, not because the story they wanted to tell demanded such an esoteric form, and the result is often pretty, but feels largely empty.
½ February 13, 2011
grossly underrated, a true epic and a dangerous move considering the need for flash and bang in todays films, this film is a masterpiece of detailed animation and craftsmenship, and as for the story it is exicuted flawlessly, with such dificultys in emoting wooden pupets, you really were put in the place of the charicters to spite that fact, bravo
½ January 14, 2011
A new favorite of mine. The use of the marionettes is well done and executed brilliantly. Incorporating it into the world itself and building a mythology of this world around it. The voice work is amazing and you actually get to a point where you don't even notice the mouths aren't moving! Now the story itself. It's a pretty solid good old coming of age story. Sure we've seen it a million times over, but the execution is very good. My only beef is the ending. It's not terrible you could cut it just before the shot with the bird about to fly and it would work. Other than that though a true hidden gem that I'll definitely be adding to my collection one day.