Strong Island Reviews

• Apr 17, 2019

I expected much more from this film, especially considering the high critics score. I should've known better than to pay attention to what the critics say. It is an incredibly sad story. But I expected there to be some great big revelation, something that drew me in and captivated me, yet there never was. However, I did feel empathy for the people involved and agreed that justice was not served for the victim or his family.

• Nov 23, 2018

A riveting intense look into what should have never happened, and ignorance. A word of advice- never say life isn't fair, especially after watching this.

• Nov 18, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Nov 03, 2018

A horrific case of racism against a black family whose son was shot by a white man. It doesn't get 5* bc there were some obvious factors to consider that weren't discussed. Other than that, its a powerful, emotional and tragic documentary created by the sister of the slain man.

• Oct 24, 2018

He was a rapist drug dealing murderer! He had it coming! always i can watch something interesting using boxxy software

• Oct 04, 2018

I thought this was quite poor in that it was not a strong enough story or argument for racism. It felt like it was a tragic story but I was screaming out for more evidence of racism. The camera work was good and I liked the realism of the mother. The honesty maybe reduced the power of the argument.

• Aug 23, 2018

I didn't care about the directors sexuality so I found this incredibly boring and hard to sit through.

• Aug 01, 2018

Heartbreaking with a captivating presentation.

Heartbreaking with a captivating presentation.

• Jul 06, 2018

A depressing film that is difficult to watch. Movies that play on racial animosity are in vogue, but I don't know if it is the chicken noodle soup our souls need.

• Jun 25, 2018

If you look at the discrepancy between the Critics rating and the audience you will get a good understanding of racial sensitivity in America. The audience is relatively anonymous so they are being honest. Critics simply couldn't get away with giving this film a bad rating. I found it to be a very brooding, depressing story with no story arc or evolution on the part of the film maker. It starts and finishes in the same space. They (the film maker and family) had their preconceived notions about what happened to William (a racially motivated shooting vs. a defensive shooting) and they stated there was no way they were ever going to change their opinion. I thought therefore, that we would be treated to some investigative story where compelling information is presented. No such luck. No ah-ha moments. What seems so odd about this and similar cases is the lack of understanding that there are consequences to violent behavior. At the very best case - nobody really knew what happened other than this kid William acted violently toward the shooter in the past at his place of work. People are just not going to let themselves get beat up on their own property. Yet the family said "why couldn't he have run out the back door". They are rightfully very heart broken people, but they are living in denial. Williams father was handicapped and nobody was there to guide this young man. Its a super sad story, but for me it painted a picture of some very depressed angry people in the grips of denial.