Submarine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Submarine Reviews

September 1, 2017
An amazing movie that captures what it's like to be A teenager perfectly, it's style of comedy is so funny and so rich it's completely refreshing, the directing and the acting is stellar, it's just an all around great movie and the directors best, and I loved The Double.
August 26, 2017
Stylish, Quirky and awkward look back to teenage 80s growing up - reminded me off Adrian Mole and Gregory's Girl
July 18, 2017
A lovely film with an extraordinary soundtrack
½ June 6, 2017
Well written & well acted.
April 23, 2017
I initially started watching "Submarine" quite late at night, expecting it to be a good-enough indie I could watch in the background of trying to dig the Rolos out of my icecream to eat individually, but I ended up abandoning my icecream and Rolos about ten minutes into the film, because I realized how special it is. Not the ice cream and Rolos, the film. The film is the special one.

The atmosphere created is consistently original and captivating, and that's because every single job was done perfectly on set. Generally I can pinpoint the most proficient aspect of filmmaking in the films I watch, and while I can do that here and say that the sound design is definitely the most effective part, every aspect was done extremely well.

The cast was great, the cinematography was excellent. The music, the editing, the work the interns did, etc. It was all fantastic. And Richard Ayoade has a wonderful eye for detail, and he obviously understands just how important the little ones are.
½ April 15, 2017
It has been a pleasure to watch this film. It is so fresh, vivid, and full of hope. Richard Ayoade really took pains to create a beautiful and enjoyable plot in which the actors were more than excellent. It is a film that leaves you thinking about life and especially the stage of adolescence. Without a doubt, it is a story that manages to move you towards the evaluation of our actions, desires, and preoccupations. The plot is precise and has an accurate structure so that teens and even grown-ups will surely enjoy, and the ideas that are intended to be reflected are very well developed and achieved, being very heartbreaking, and producing different messages depending on the audience and the age they may have.

This romantic story of two teenagers expresses how fragile we are and how we can behave in this age, believing so many things, experiencing, conquering and also committing mistakes, but always being unique and sincere. The characters are not heroic or very complex, but neither are normal. In fact, it seemed incredible to me how a boy of such a strange and mysterious profile can generate such an empathetic story, conveying all manner of thoughtful feelings which everyone has experienced. Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts), who is the protagonist, is worried about the people he loves, always making external his plans and deeper emotions wishing well-being for his girlfriend Jordana (Yasmin Paige) and the union of the decadent relationship between his parents.

This fantastic and impeccable story makes us see that we all have a Tate inside us, always filling us with details that motivate us to remember that we are the ones who must act for what we want to achieve, although this can be very difficult and can get out of control. Submarine is full of elaborate analogies whose magnificence is illustrated in the way we face adversity, generating a film that is neither forced nor tasteless. Instead, it leaves a great smile as it is a full-fledged comedy that should be seen definitely more than once because it is full of very interesting premises and all of them are very well executed. 88/100
½ April 13, 2017
My favorite existentialist teenage movie of all.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
It's beautifully shot and features some good performances, and the movie succeeds as a cute teen love story with a few humorous scenes. But it's really got nothing new to offer and I often found myself looking at the clock. It's well made, but there's nothing here you haven't seen, and haven't seen better.
½ February 12, 2017
I really liked this movie. It was a little slow, but it was a cute story.
February 7, 2017
Richard Ayoade directorial debut about a Swansea teenager's love life is a perfect blend of cool, quirky comedy and warm-hearted drama, where the kids aren't gorgeous, the protagonist isn't heroic and his love interest has a lot of reasons why she isn't necessarily desirable.
January 18, 2017
'Submarine' is a well-written, funny film full of beautiful scenery and the real-life worries of regular people.
½ November 2, 2016
you're the only person I would allow to be shrunk down to a microscopic size and swim inside me in a tiny submersible machine
October 16, 2016
Quirky flick about a teen boy in Wales balancing his first love along with some parental issues. Drags at times, but overall an enjoyable film.
½ September 20, 2016
Super tightly written, super feely.
August 2, 2016
It's always nice when a film creates characters who aren't perfect. It's ultimately the imperfections of a character, rather than their perfections, that make them so relatable in the end. Richard Ayoade utilizes this aspect of storytelling to its full potential in Submarine, his feature film debut. It's a charming little film that's a lot deeper than it initially seems: what could be a simple story of young love and coming of age has a lot more brewing under the surface of it's protagonist Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts). Oliver, a precocious 15-year-old, wants nothing more than to lose his virginity and rekindle the love between his parents: unfortunately for him, both of those things come with more tribulations than he expects. Roberts does a great job of infusing charm into Oliver, especially as a romance blossoms between him and fellow classmate Jordana Bevan (Yasmin Paige), and balancing his likeable qualities with his flaws as a character. Ayoade himself, now an actor turned director, delivers the story with beautiful stylistic choices highly reminiscent of the works of Wes Anderson, with lots of interesting camera movements and superimposed title cards. There's one aspect that Ayoade brings to the table that Anderson has always struggled with: heart. For all of the more somber moments, especially in the third act, Ayoade has adapted Joe Dunthorne's novel into a beautiful coming-of-age film that anyone who has experienced young love or family issues can relate to. Keep an eye out on Richard Ayoade: he's a director with a lot of promise.
½ August 2, 2016
Submarine resides in the cesspit that is the coming of age film, a premise so violated by young actors that it only survives through a combination of prosthetics and as of now, Ayoade's direction. For while it doesn't reinvent, the film can't help but charm us through a delicate and stylistic portrayal of the most victimized genre in cinema.
June 21, 2016
Submarine is a coming of Age story that brings some interesting light in the way some teenagers feel. It's a great movie, it's funny and stylish and with a great soundtrack.
½ May 24, 2016
unusual but enjoyable., wouldn't really call it a comedy!
May 16, 2016
Alright. Very dark. Never really got into it
½ April 2, 2016
Great humor, and performances, that being said I question weather Submarine was truthfully a story worth telling.